MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: upcoming attack in Iran?!?!?!  (Read 18496 times)

Offline Eldorado82

• Veteran
upcoming attack in Iran?!?!?!
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:31:23 PM »
The Israeli military is preparing itself to launch a massive aerial assault on Iran's nuclear facilities within days of being given the go-ahead by its new government.

Among the steps taken to ready Israeli forces for what would be a risky raid requiring pinpoint aerial strikes are the acquisition of three Airborne Warning and Control (AWAC) aircraft and regional missions to simulate the attack.

Two nationwide civil defence drills will help to prepare the public for the retaliation that Israel could face.

“Israel wants to know that if its forces were given the green light they could strike at Iran in a matter of days, even hours. They are making preparations on every level for this eventuality. The message to Iran is that the threat is not just words,” one senior defence official told The Times.

Officials believe that Israel could be required to hit more than a dozen targets, including moving convoys. The sites include Natanz, where thousands of centrifuges produce enriched uranium; Esfahan, where 250 tonnes of gas is stored in tunnels; and Arak, where a heavy water reactor produces plutonium.

The distance from Israel to at least one of the sites is more than 870 miles, a distance that the Israeli force practised covering in a training exercise last year that involved F15 and F16 jets, helicopters and refuelling tankers.

The possible Israeli strike on Iran has drawn comparisons to its attack on the Osirak nuclear facility near Baghdad in 1981. That strike, which destroyed the facility in under 100 seconds, was completed without Israeli losses and checked Iraqi ambitions for a nuclear weapons programme.

“We would not make the threat [against Iran] without the force to back it. There has been a recent move, a number of on-the-ground preparations, that indicate Israel's willingness to act,” said another official from Israel's intelligence community.

He added that it was unlikely that Israel would carry out the attack without receiving at least tacit approval from America, which has struck a more reconciliatory tone in dealing with Iran under its new administration.

An Israeli attack on Iran would entail flying over Jordanian and Iraqi airspace, where US forces have a strong presence.

Ephraim Kam, the deputy director of the Institute for National Security Studies, said it was unlikely that the Americans would approve an attack.

“The American defence establishment is unsure that the operation will be successful. And the results of the operation would only delay Iran's programme by two to four years,” he said.

A visit by President Obama to Israel in June is expected to coincide with the national elections in Iran — timing that would allow the US Administration to re-evaluate diplomatic resolutions with Iran before hearing the Israeli position.

“Many of the leaks or statements made by Israeli leaders and military commanders are meant for deterrence. The message is that if [the international community] is unable to solve the problem they need to take into account that we will solve it our way,” Mr Kam said.

Among recent preparations by the airforce was the Israeli attack of a weapons convoy in Sudan bound for militants in the Gaza Strip.

“Sudan was practice for the Israeli forces on a long-range attack,” Ronen Bergman, the author of The Secret War with Iran, said. “They wanted to see how they handled the transfer of information, hitting a moving target ... In that sense it was a rehearsal.”

Israel has made public its intention to hold the largest-ever nationwide drill next month.

Colonel Hilik Sofer told Haaretz, a daily Israeli newspaper, that the drill would “train for a reality in which during war missiles can fall on any part of the country without warning ... We want the citizens to understand that war can happen tomorrow morning”.

Israel will conduct an exercise with US forces to test the ability of Arrow, its US-funded missile defence system. The exercise would test whether the system could intercept missiles launched at Israel.

“Israel has made it clear that it will not tolerate the threat of a nuclear Iran. According to Israeli Intelligence they will have the bomb within two years ... Once they have a bomb it will be too late, and Israel will have no choice to strike — with or without America,” an official from the Israeli Defence Ministry said.

found in one of the aviation forums.......
opinions guys.. ill keep you updated if there is something going on
Remembering Steven "TigerShark" Zeluff

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: upcoming attack in Iran?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
I wont cry if Iran gets the crap blown out of them.

Especially after their presidents comments at that meeting thing in Switzerland the other day

Offline Eldorado82

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
we've done it back in 1981 so why we can't do it now? IAF improved himself very much since then. and if we say we can than we can. Nothin that wasn't checked and trained hundreds of times won't be activated. As a matter of fact, I'm almost sure that the plan of this maybe-upcoming attack was written months ago and now lies in some vault of some general office. technically we can do it- to fly to strike and to fly back. Iran AF improved also but i tend to think that we are better. what consequences it might bring? Not me nor you probably don't know ( unless you are one of the pilots). Most of the times if there are some secret or a very importat mission like this even the pilots themself dont know where are they ging to fly and what for, and might be told only in a final debriefing, minuts before leaving to the planes.

Ahmedinijad says that " no one can threat them", that "their nation is a great part of the world and strongest in their region."
that ahmedinijad told not once and not twice things thath were exaggerated. their army is not that developed and don't have technical level that he can fight an armed conflict. this land is based on religious Fantatism. lots of times Ahmedinijad called "clown" here in israel. He prefers to speak great words and to present apperance of the strongest leader in the world... but after all Iran is very poor country and i'm in doubt that they have at least half of what he speaks.

I know that IAF have the main plan, so-called plan "b" and emergency plan.
from a familiarization with my AF and army i know that we prefer to thing over all possible consequences and turn-outs of this operation and to prepare accordingly.

GO IAF!

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 03:08:59 PM »
Israel <3

Iran pffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttt

:)

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »
In my opinion, there is no doubt in mind that the IDF can't carry out such attack it has proven time and time again in battle. In my opinion the IDF are some of the more experienced combat proven fighting force, not to mention it's pilots. However with that being said, the question that we should be asking is this,
1. What would the IDF do when the retaliation from Iran is carried out?
2. would a full scale war take into effect?
3. Would this disstablelize the region and would we see Arab (or Muslim countries) side with Iran?
4. If that's the case would we see another full scale world war which would see NATO countries involved, and or allied countries?
5. Could this be the beginning of WWIII?

One thing to understand is that most of the NATO and other allied countries are already involved in other campaigns, Israel is expecting an approval from the U.S. to act, I can tell you this we would more than likely will not condone such strike, and our troops are already committed in other theaters not to mention the economic scale of funding yet another major involment, not only for the US but for other allied countries. Of course this is only my opinion, and I could be blowing this out of context.

Cheers     
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:17:44 PM by WRCKid »

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 11:17:45 PM »
I wish the bombing operation would have taken place under Bush.  Our current President is checking to see if he has a pair soon he'll be giving F-16 parts to Chavez.  I hope the target selection is done very carefully and it takes Iran ten years to get back on track.   

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »
I wish the bombing operation would have taken place under Bush.  Our current President is checking to see if he has a pair soon he'll be giving F-16 parts to Chavez.  I hope the target selection is done very carefully and it takes Iran ten years to get back on track.   

I think you're missing the point, it's not "under whose administration" this should fall under. Think about the reprecussions this attack could bring to the world, if a full scale retaliation takes place.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:26:50 PM »
Retaliation from Iran I think is limited military wise because they lack an modern air force.  Iran's missiles & rocket's are the really the only concern.  There one squadron or of Su-24s a pretty solid platform would find if difficult reaching Israel.  US forces won't let them flying over them period and Hawk missile armed F-14s don't really scare much.

Talk to this guy who said he's from the UAE and he said nobody on Gulf wants Iran to have nukes.  None are real time Israel supporters but Iran having them isn't a good thing.  The Saudi's who most likely support as much or even more world terrorism then Iran, doesn't want Iran to have them. 

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:40:30 PM »
Very true and you have valid points.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 12:09:26 AM »
We have forces spread all around the Gulf region so the rocket threat isn't taken lightly.  Iran doesn't have a modern military they would be pissed but striking back might bring more response, something they might want to avoid.  We have hundreds of USAF fighter and tactical aircraft in the region.  The USN has at least one carrier and maybe more assets (subs) in the region as well.  Every USN ship have Tommy's or Harpoonies so more land targets can be hit and I think we have something like 42 ships in the Gulf or nearby.

If Iran fired on our nearby bases a lot of hurt would be brought down and what the Israelis missed on their attack we wouldn't leave much.  Iran is surround on all side besides Russia, Pakistan and Turkey would raise hell and we might only get one launch from there bases but it's from next store.   Every inch of Iran is mapped and marked so good targets are abound. 

A few tankers might be hit but shutting down the Gulf cuts there oil off to so I don't think anything would be long term.  They would be pissed beyond words and every terrorist group would get a double pay check

I would like to see some nice USAF tankers making sure the Israeli got back ok.  They would be doing us the US and others a favor.  Iran hate us anyway and basically always will so it wouldn't change much and some crazies would have a nuclear weapons. 

Offline Eldorado82

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 08:19:01 AM »
In my opinion, there is no doubt in mind that the IDF can't carry out such attack it has proven time and time again in battle. In my opinion the IDF are some of the more experienced combat proven fighting force, not to mention it's pilots. However with that being said, the question that we should be asking is this,
1. What would the IDF do when the retaliation from Iran is carried out?
2. would a full scale war take into effect?
3. Would this disstablelize the region and would we see Arab (or Muslim countries) side with Iran?
4. If that's the case would we see another full scale world war which would see NATO countries involved, and or allied countries?
5. Could this be the beginning of WWIII?

One thing to understand is that most of the NATO and other allied countries are already involved in other campaigns, Israel is expecting an approval from the U.S. to act, I can tell you this we would more than likely will not condone such strike, and our troops are already committed in other theaters not to mention the economic scale of funding yet another major involment, not only for the US but for other allied countries. Of course this is only my opinion, and I could be blowing this out of context.

Cheers     

Hi there! sorry for such a late answer just arrived to work where i can write:) now for  the answers:
1. first of all i don't think there would be a retaliation or something similar like that would carry out. If we strike iran it would take her lots of time to come back to herself after being knocked out.

2. Full scale war?!? no. Iran doesnt has the needed power to attack any country. I suggest you to remember in a last armed conflict in iraq when Us troops were advancing already inside Saddam's residence, his general ( forgot the name the only thing i remember about that general is that he was wearing glasses and military unifrom) was speaking that Glorious Iraq armies are crushing the enemy and soon he will be retreated...untill the troops captured him. Same with Ahmedinidjad- "the most powerful country in the region", "everybody afraid to deal with them"......

3. At least not of the reginal arabs.. Everybody there dislike Iran, they know that Iran is a country that in armed state if very dangerous because she might use her pwoerful weapon agains almost anybody she dislikes. Even the Emirates (they dont say it in open) dislike Iran. to conclusion,the supporters of the anti- Iran idea are in the underground.nobody really wants to come with a statement of his country agains Iran because it will make this country to be discreminated. We'll see the thing after the bombardment of the nuclear installations ( if ther would be one)

4. Nato may interferr but I think that there would be enough aircraft carriers, missle boats and AFB's around Iran (that they already have all the targets inside Iran marked) and it will be enough to turn Iran into Largest parking lot in the middle east ( after Gaza strip: )

5. WWIII? naaaa............. armed regional conflict possible.but not more than that.

Offline Eldorado82

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 08:22:05 AM »

tend to think that target selection was made under Bush. if not even earlier, and Obama only updated in existance of such files and the targets within.
Obama has to make less connections with people like Chavez, thats true... dont forget that he is Barak H Obama

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA