MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: A New Simulator  (Read 12093 times)

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
A New Simulator
« on: September 01, 2007, 05:41:24 PM »
Hey guys, I installed LOMAC and the whole thing runs smooth and I can hear noises perfectly, except, the whole cockpit is black except for the FLIR screen and some Navaids. I read a whole list of other people with this problem and they all got the same answer, you need a graphics card. Well I don't want to get a new one. So I'm out for another simulation. Here are my specs:

System: Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional 2002 Service Pack 2
Acer Incorperated Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 2.99GHz, 504MB of RAM.
Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

I just need one with good graphics that doesn't need a new graphics card. Even one a little older like Janes USAF and stuff.
I want to be able to look around my cockpit and realistic physics and good cockpit displays with TV guided munitions like LOMAC has. And my internet runs at 100MBPS incase that matters lol
So anyway, Globetrotter, what are those games you talked about? MiG-29 Fulcrum, and Typhoon?

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
Re: A New Simulator
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:03:36 AM »
Oh brilliant you can't run C&C 3 either. And you have almost the sam specs as i do, except with a poorer graphics card  >:D

And slightly more ram  :'(. I only have 409Mb...  :(

I'll see if i can dig up my ancient Jane's, then we can play online.  ;)
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »
JaneĀ“s F15 Eagle, thats one title i think you might be able to play.  :)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 10:13:31 PM »
Raptor, get YS Flight...seriusly playing online there is great...and I painted an aircraft for it too.

Look:

joeydrh.googlepages.com

I call it.....F/A-18C "Lucky Eight"  ;D

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 11:13:17 AM »
I have YS FS installed on my computer. I just like MSFS a lot better. Graphics and gameplay are more realistic. Seriously, i'm not into pastel-coloured graphics games. IL-2 is an excellent WWII FS. YS has the advantage of being absolutely free, but not much else.
-JCLim

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 11:24:37 AM »
Oh and i happen to have a FS on my mobile with better graphics than YS. :D
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 03:53:07 PM »
You'll probably have problems with many of the older games as well, they were all created for 3Dfx or OpenGL. They'll probably can't properly detect your integrated graphics card either. Or they don't recognize your newer DirectX version. And some will have issues running without MS-DOS, but you can set the compatibility mode for that in the properties of the .exe or .bat that will start the game, but even then in some cases you need to patch your game to be able to play. Which is a problem for many older games as well, as the creators no longer exist. On some games from the 1990s, you can also expect frame rate issues.

Anyway, my point is, don't start buying just any old title.

Jane's F-15 might cause problems because of the 3Dfx thing, as does Jane's WWII fighters. Older non-3Dfx Jane's titles will have the other issues.  Don't expect any patches, since Jane's Combat Simulations is no more.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 08:47:44 AM »
Seriously. There's this funny FPS that my cousin couldn't run. His computer met all the system requirements. I ran it on another system with a celeron instead of a Pentium4. The graphics card and whatever were almost exactly the same. I think the sound card on the celeron was a step higher than the pentium, though. I'm using centrino core duo... Any ideas why the game won't run on pentium?

Yeah it's a real pity there isn't any more Jane's. It used to be the most highly recommended CFS of its day. I used to play one with the YF-22. Wonder where it is now...
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »
It's probably not the processor, but some software or driver problem. Graphics driver, DirectX version. Or his slightly different graphics card (may be the same graphics chip but I suppose on another mainboard) may not be supported. Have you tried to patch the game to the latest version?

You mean Jane's ATF? It used to exit Windows and boot from DOS. I think it didn't even work on Windows '98, same for the original USNF, although USNF 97 did because it ran in a DOS window. It definately does not run on Windows 2000/NT/XP. You'll have frame rate issues on your fast system anyway, so no need to look for it, hehe.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 08:25:53 AM »
I suppose so. I'll check.

Hm, maybe. I think that was way back about '99, when i was using a '95. Oh, frame rate. very funny. I have that issue with almost everything since i did a massive remake of my electronic wardrobe.
-JCLim

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 10:42:54 PM »
Well Viggen, I don't know if it is the same but YS Flight I run on OpenGL and DirectX on all of the highest settings so.

And I think I have MS-DOS

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 09:19:09 AM »
Windows runs on DOS. That's where it was derived from...
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA