MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Fighters Tactical Warfare  (Read 7231 times)

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
Fighters Tactical Warfare
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:14:42 PM »
Hello guys! I'm very sorry for my time away. I've been very busy lately.

I wanted to notify you of the Combat Flight Simulator that I am programming in C++ for Windows :)

It's called Fighters Tactical Warfare, and it is set in the cold war environment. This offers a vast array of weapons and aircraft, starting from 1948 to the 1980's

The main webpage is this: http://www.fighterstw.co.nr

You can view anything about the sim as well as pictures etcetera.

The simulator will be free to download when it is done, and it will be a constant Work-in-Progress, so new versions will always be uploaded, and patches. But it will be quite large, so I will have to do patches instead of the whole thing for each update.

Cheers,

Cobra
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:43:36 PM by Cobra2 »

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Fighters Tactical Warfare (my Cold-War Flight sim! :D)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »
Hi Cobra
Pretty cool but I notice the screen shots of the different aircraft seem dated.  The American or NATO aircraft look F-86 (Korean war era) not "Cold War" is there a limitation on what aircraft types you can use?  There's one twin engine jet which looks like a German WW-II jet.  The Su-7's look good a little larger then they should be maybe but better then the rest.  Russia had hundreds of these little striker line up along the NATO lines during the Cold War days.

I'm not a gamer at all but if you want any help researching equipment let me know.  Since East Germany and Poland are no longer under Russian control there's tons of exact information on bases, aircraft numbers & types, ground forces information, etc and more to be found.

Welcome back and keep the posting up (smile face & thumbs up)

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:03:27 AM »
Hey Buddy, thanks for the welcome back. Sorry for leaving again :S

Also, the American one is the F3H Demon, not F-86. The twin engine aircraft is the British Gloster Meteor, the Russian one is a Su-22 Fitter, and the other is a MiG-19 Farmer.

The Cold War spans from even the near-end of World War II (Most consider it 1947 officially, though. But basically back even then) so my aircraft will include from around there to about the early 1980s. :)

Help and suggestions would be great, and are welcomed.

Cheers.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
Hi Cobra
Some how I just lost this long post I just typed out.  Anyway your so right about the Cold War and when it started most people including myself sometimes don't realized when it started.

I had to look up that USN F3H Demon it had short life span in active duty 8 years flying time in the USN.  The British Gloster Meteor, is another blast from the past and I think it's great your using these aircraft in your game.

The Su-22 Fitter is a Su-7 upgraded there are a few models Su-17, Su-20, and Su-22, I believed Poland's Su-22M4 may have been the latest upgraded model.

The Mig-19 was a good turner and saw a lot of action in it's time.

Don't forget to include the aircraft used in Greece and & Turkey during the Cold War, very important at the time.  The US lined up a lot of countries on the former USSR's border and expanded into the Middle East as well, it was a difficult time. 

Don't forget France pulling out of NATO at a very key time losing there know how, equipment, trained personnel, hurt.

The F-4 played a huge part in the Cold War and in the Middle East which in ways used as testing grounds for the Cold War rulers at it's time.  At times it almost suck in the USSR & USA and played a huge part in that time era.

The mighty F-15A/B breaking into to service to off set the Mig-25

The USAF & USSR bombers at the time

The role AWACS was coming into was huge the "Command & Control" of the air battle was just coming into itself.

The role tankers played and a key asset that USAF had and to me a clear advantage over USSR and later Russia, a edge the USAF still has. 

USN subs jumped in front of the mighty USSR monster subs in both stealth and sonar under the waves.   

The air to air missile slight edge the Russian held and then lost.

Another Cold War fact the the former USSR was learning that sheer numbers don't always offset better equipment and training. 

Near the end Russian military cuts, nasty war, internal changes

Air power played a huge part in all of this and you should a ball working the different aircraft into the game. 

Hope that help to put a few ideas in your head. (thumbs up & smile face)

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA