MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Flightsimulators  (Read 32193 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Re: Flightsimulators
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 07:25:48 AM »
He he, thats right RecceJet and it was a great game. Many hours were spent infront of the TV playing it with a TAC-2 in your hand. Development of games and so on was incredible if you compare it with todays PC´s. Now you need a new graphicscard, cpu and memory if they release a new game with improved capacity.  :)

I used to play ACE often as a kid, and looking back its kind of surprising that back then you could get voice commands when refuelling air-to-air! That SIM chip in the old C64 was way ahead of its time.

• Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline bazooka

• Pilot
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 09:01:32 AM »
I like the USAF sim because it provides a variety of planes to fly, and both historical and fictional missions. I can not wait to see the results of this poll. I have only a few sims and do always keep an eye out for the next big hit.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 07:59:03 AM »
Another good thing with USAF is that you now can download mods. New skins for the jets, more detail and realistic paintings. New  sound, improve the graphics and much more. Its a bit tricky but its worth it.

I love the Vietnam scenario, fly around and bomb the hell out of runways, sam´s and help the ground forces. Of course the dogfights against the migs aint too bad either.  :)

Then i also love MS flightsim, cuz you can do some serious airobatics. Nice to download a F18 blue angel (or another jet of your choice) and just fly over an airfield pretending your on a airshow, then look at the replay from diffrent angels.  ;D

I like the USAF sim because it provides a variety of planes to fly, and both historical and fictional missions. I can not wait to see the results of this poll. I have only a few sims and do always keep an eye out for the next big hit.
Patrik S.

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 03:16:40 PM »
My Favorite Game is JANES USAF......  :D
PAKISTAN AIR FORCE (www.paffalcons.com)

FOR THOSE WHO DARE THE FUTURE IN THE SKIES

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 03:22:53 PM »
My Favorite Game is JANES USAF...... :D

Thanks for voting.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 04:54:57 PM »
What kind of joystick do you guys use and what do you think of it?

I used the Logitech´s Wingman forcefeedback until recently. It was cool but not exact. Now i use the F15 Talon from Suncom. Happy with this one but theres no drivers for XP.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline Prowler

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 10:45:41 PM »
Falcon 4.0 Allied Force tops my list with Lock On: Flaming Cliffs in tight no.2

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 01:53:35 PM »
I have recently bought a new PC. So i was also in need for a new joystick. Thought actually that Saitek´s hardware will be just fine for me. Then i got  introduced to Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar!!  :)

I have orderd one, will recive this beast sometime early in Febuary.  :D Now this will make a flightsim to a whole new experience i am told.

For those of you who dont know anything about this stick. Here is a picture and a link to a website.  8)

http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/
Patrik S.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 11:19:06 PM »
It does not have any ruddercontrol, however you can connect a separate rudder to it all.  :)

I know what you mean. At low altitude you want to keep that nose pointed to the horizon during a roll, and thats impossible if  you have yaw affected the samt time as roll and pitch.  :-\

It is a very fine piece of equipment. It weighs in at 8 kilograms, its completly made out of metal, even the buttons. Its a precise replica of the F16´s stick. The stick can be easily changed in the future for an F15 or F18 stick.

Once i have recived it and used it, I will let you guys know if this joystick is worth the money i spent on it.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2006, 10:43:11 PM »
LOL, I am still using Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. Microsoft does not even support it anymore, you can't even download the original drivers from the Microsoft site anymore. But well, my joystick is actually the only piece of equipment that survived the technological progress since our first PC. This is the fourth PC I am using (had even more keyboards, mouses, printers, monitors), so quite an achievement, especially considering how often and how hard I pulled on that stick.It isn't very sophisticated, but it has throttle, rudder, POV, so I'm okay for now.

My video card needs upgrading first  ;)

Anyway, let us know your experience with it.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 01:41:22 PM »
I recived the joystick today (Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar). Been trying it out for an hour now.  8)

I can say that if you are serious about flightsims, then this joystick is the only option. It sure is worth its money.  The feel of the metal in your hands takes it to a new level. Besides that, it is very precise during flight. I was flying the F15 in MS Flightsim 2004, i had no problems at all with take off from Fallon, the run through Grand Canyon at mach 0.7 and landing at Nellis AFB.  :)

During all this, i never had to take my hands off the joystick or the throttle. Since i dont have any pedals for ruddercontrol, i used the "ant elev" button for this. Taxiing to the gates was no problem at all.  :D

Now the installation was not without any trouble, but thats because i was in a big hurry to connect the thing. So i started all over again and then like magic, it installed the software/hardware without any problems.

My guess it that this joystick will rock together with Lock On or any other military flightsim.  >:D

Patrik S.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 04:56:00 PM »
If you get your hand on a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar, whatever you do... Dont drop it on your foot or toes!! Hurts like h***!  :-\
I´ve been limping for a week now. :P
Patrik S.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA