MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Flightsimulators  (Read 32192 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Flightsimulators
« on: May 03, 2005, 08:49:10 AM »
Here we go with a another poll gentlemen!
 ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 11:29:02 AM by Viggen »
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Flightsimulators
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 02:32:47 PM »
I was a big fan of the Jane's US NAVY FIGHTERS and ATF. Loves the USNF 98 in which you had the Vietnam planes and campaign. Great fun. Unfortunately, the game today is unplayable, because of the computer speed increase...looks like they forget to have some kind of 'frame rate limiter' on it back then. I don't know how many of you played Grand Theft Auto, the original had such a limiter, ever tried to turn it off? Then you know what I mean. You can hardly play it now, it's too fast  ;)

When Falcon 4.0 came out, my system couldn't handle it. So I never really played that unfortunately, because it's pretty good. You should add that to your list.

Jane's F-15 was not just quite it, and some for the Hornet. Lock on, I have only played the demo, but plan on getting it. Combat flight simulator 1 was great fun, it's a better than Jane's WWII fighters. FS98 and FS2002 are very realistic, but not much fun, I enjoyed Flight Unlimited III better. But after some time, you miss the combat element again.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 02:42:33 PM »
You should try out USAF, they have a Vietnam campaign in that one. Really cool, ground troops call  you by the radio for airsupport. Then you just napalm "Charlie".  Ok graphics, lots of mods for the game.

I do agree with you about MS Flightsim, after a few hours you start to miss the adrenalinerush. The kind only the missilewarning system can provide.  ;)

Patrik S.

Offline Eagle16

• Pilot
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 07:17:45 PM »
My favorite flight sim is Aces HIgh 2, it is a massive multiplayer ww2 air combat game.     

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 07:29:20 AM »
Have never tried out Aces High, how is the gameplay, graphics and so on?  :)
Patrik S.

Offline Eagle16

• Pilot
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 01:26:06 AM »
Aces high 2 is my first flight simulation and i cant compare the gameplay with the others flight simulators but the graphics are just great and the gameplay seems realistic since i piloted for the 2nd time a cessna 172 a month ago.
And if u want more information, go on http://www.hitechcreations.com/

by the way what joystick u guys use?
mine is a Saitek X45

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 02:29:14 AM »
I purchased Lock On a few days ago, only played a few hours, I still need to sort out the controls.

Joystick, funny you mention that, I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Pro...which doesn't work when you install it as the Sidewinder. But I remember I sorted that out couple of years ago with a new driver. So I thought, I'll do that again. So I went down to microsoft website, turns out the old driver doesn't work under XP, and Microsoft no longer support the Sidewinder family.  >:( So I just have to install it under a different name, but then 4 out of 8 buttons don't work.  >:(
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 12:03:53 PM »
You know, another combat flight simulation from the past, that deserve to be mentioned is Jane's AH-64D Longbow I/II  ;)
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 07:42:57 AM »
I used Logitech´s Wingman Force Feedback. I had it a few years, but last month it just gave up on me.

I had the same problems with this joystick when playing Lock on. The drivers dont work with XP, the only way i got it to work was to let XP choose the best driver for it. But then i had no force feedback, so i gave up. Impossible to fly a jet with a joystick that is completly limp.  :(

Btw a furball in Lock on is one of its highlights. Hope the next version of Lock On will be even better.  ;D

Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 12:59:05 AM »
Ah yes, that's what I mean!

Apache pilot on the important things when flying the Apache: "to serve my country, and kill thanks"

The game got that right  ;)
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 07:29:24 AM »
I missed out on Longbow , never got the chance to play it.  But from what i have heard and read about the sim, then maybe Jane´s should do a new updated version of it.  :D

Btw does Jane´s Simulations still exist?

Do you guys remember a game called ACE on the Commodore 64? (Maybe you are to young to remember that good old machine)  ;)
The graphics sucked, but it was fun! The tricky bit was the landing, never worked that out then. (not much better at it today..hehe. Thank god for ejectionseats)!

Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 05:37:03 PM »
I think EA Games took over the department? I can vaguely remember an url with janes.ea.com replacing their own website. I haven't been watching development of games that much in recent years. I visited the shop the other day, and I was amazed by the amount of new games. Although most of them seemed variants based on or sequels of. But it's sick anyway.  :P

Too young I guess, I'm from the nintendo/sega generation.

Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA