MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: MiG-31 Foxhound Flight to the Edge of Space - Moscow, Russia  (Read 32530 times)

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
MiG-31 Foxhound Flight to the Edge of Space - Moscow, Russia
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:09:37 PM »
Book a flight on a MiG 31 Comrades. We need your money.

Nothing can compare with the view from the cockpit of a MiG-31 from a breathtaking vista of 82,000 ft (25 km). Nearly three times the altitude of Everest, your view directly overhead fades into the darkness of space. Below you, the curvature of the Earth is awesomely apparent, and the horizon is 715 miles (1100 km) across. Flying at Mach 2.5, or one mile every two seconds, is the most exhilarating experience available anywhere.

A short flight away from Moscow lies the historic town of Nizhny Novgorod, and the Sokol Aircraft Building Plant. Birthplace of the MiG, the Sokol plant exports aircraft to over 30 countries and has been manufacturing MiGs for 70 years. The Russian Aviation Authority has certified all of the aircraft for these flights. Over the last nine years, more than 2,000 flights on various aircraft have been conducted with passengers from all over the globe.

This one-of-a-kind experience convinced Space Adventures first orbital space flight client Dennis Tito that he wanted to go further - we know it will do the same for you.

Available dates

03 Sep 09   (Thursday)    Places book now 
04 Sep 09   (Friday)    Places book now 
05 Sep 09   (Saturday)    Places book now 
06 Sep 09   (Sunday)    Places book now 
07 Sep 09   (Monday)    Places book now 
08 Sep 09   (Tuesday)    Places book now 
09 Sep 09   (Wednesday)    Places book now 
10 Sep 09   (Thursday)    Places book now 
11 Sep 09   (Friday)    Places book now 
12 Sep 09   (Saturday)    Places book now 
13 Sep 09   (Sunday)    Places book now 
14 Sep 09   (Monday)    Places book now 
15 Sep 09   (Tuesday)    Places book now 
16 Sep 09   (Wednesday)    Places book now 
17 Sep 09   (Thursday)    Places book now 
18 Sep 09   (Friday)    Places book now 
19 Sep 09   (Saturday)    Places book now 
20 Sep 09   (Sunday)    Places book now 
21 Sep 09   (Monday)    Places book now 
22 Sep 09   (Tuesday)    Places book now 

fitness and experience

* You must be 18 years or older and have a medical release from your physician stating that you are in suitable health for the flight. Pass an EKG lab test and sign a release of Liability Agreement prior to departure.

what to bring/wear

* You will need to arrange a Visa and travel insurance.

what is supplied

* 30 Minute MiG-25 ‘Foxbat’ Jet Flight including all transfers, pre-flight training, medical check and suit-up
    * Centrifuge (launch to landing) simulator training
    * Star City Tour
    * Limousine transfers to/from Airport
    * VIP immigration/customs processing for arrival/departure
    * 4 Nights at 5 star downtown Moscow Hotel, single occupancy
    * Pre-flight briefing
    * All meals indicated in itinerary including
    * Dinner with Cosmonaut guest
    * On call transfer service for evening excursions (4 nights)
    * Special guided VIP tours of Moscow including Kremlin/Armory/Diamond Fund and Red Square
    * Guided Monino Air Museum Spa/massage session MiG model and Leather flight jacket
    * Photoframe and certificates
    * Personal cell phone
    * Professional guides, full-time in Moscow staff support and interpreters
    * Video/photography on flight day (includes in-cockpit video of flight)

more information

Price is a guide only and fluctuates depending on exchange rate and fuel costs - call for a tailored quote.

USD $22,995.00

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
Re: MiG-31 Foxhound Flight to the Edge of Space - Moscow, Russia
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:03:02 PM »
I'd be afraid to go up in that 'junk box'!
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:06:28 AM »
I guess paying customers get some instruction on the ejection seat in case it is fired. Interesting thought.

Actually I've organised a flight for you in an Su-27 Aard. Bring a second pair of underpants.

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 04:52:15 AM »
I'd be afraid in an Su-27 too after all the ones they've lost lately!

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:20:22 PM »
Wow!
I didn't get all of that stuff-No massage, leather jacket or flight suit, no dinner with cosmonaut, no centrifuge, no Monino tour, no star city, no Mig model, etc. But I did get about 1 hour in the plane, which effortlessly got up to 70,000 ft at Mach 2.3.-- Odd thing was, it all seemed tame compared to the -29 I strapped into about an hour later. Sustained 6 G maneuvers are  "enlightening" to say the least!
I'd have much preferred a flight in an F-14, -15, -16, or-18 but our lawyers over here have instilled LIABILITY as a major concern of most Americans, so our military cannot sell flights, and the aircraft companies themselves are afraid to.
Even odder,  I could do it again if I wished, but I'm having the time of my life flying aerobatics in a Pitts Special, and an Extra-300L! Those flights also last about an hour, and though we rarely get above 6,000 ft. we can pull more Gs (Max so far is 6.75 momentary)--and most importantly, although I'm not a pilot--I'm flying the aerobatics!!!
And it's MUCH cheaper!
Hmmm.. an SU-27, you say?  I could use a massage...

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 02:52:04 AM »
Wow Shawn, what an experience! If you find the time, I'd like to hear a little more of the details in the -27 and -29 flights. I've flown in the F-111, F-4, Cobra gunship and the OV-10 Bronco and the Bronco made the sickest, believe it or not! We were literally flying 'knife-edged' between trees!!

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 06:49:37 AM »
Wait a moment, I didn't fly in a -27, but I did fly in the -31 and the-29. Ejection training was simple-"if you hear "eject,eject, eject" it's serious--pull your legs and arms back as quickly as you can, and if nothing happens, reach down and pull the striped handle between your legs" supposedly, the seat will supply oxygen until it gets to a lower altitude, whereupon it will kick you out and your 'chute will open. A simple "constricting" pressure suit will inflate at altitude, and keep your blood from boiling. I was wearing that pressure suit and gloves(leather), and boots that were supplied-- I probably would have gotten frostbite on the way down! The plane flew without a hiccup, like I said, effortlessly to 70,000 ft. It sure didn't seem like a "junk box" to me! It was a MIG-31-E. We pulled a 3-4 G supersonic 180 degree turn, and then started climbing. There was no pause of any kind as we went to Mach 2.3 and FL 700. It was as smooth as the smoothest airline flight you've ever been on.
After the "Max altitude, Max speed" portion, I was invited to take the controls, but due to a perfunctory preflight briefing, as I tried to do an aileron roll, the pilot said "I've got it", and stopped me before we rolled. It seemed I tried to use a bit of rudder, as in the Pitts and Extra, and that was a No-No! We came back to the airstrip and did a low afterburner pass, AND I MEAN LOW! over the runway, and then, with 'burners still lit, did a roll over the town (Nizhny Novgorod)!Can you imagine if that were an American town? Lawsuits would be filed!
Isn't it wierd that the most memorable flights involve lots of Gs and maneuvering, more than speed and altitude?
I would LOVE to fly in a -111 or a Phantom, and actually, the A-4 seems like it would be more fun than either of them!
If you are coming out west, give me notice. We'll go down to King City, give you a barf bag, and strap you into a Pitts! Knife-edge is cool, but it pales in comparson to a Lomcevak, or a Centrifuge! They do things safely there, no flying between the trees!
Preperation is simple and fun, we go to the boardwalk, eat mucho junk food, and go on the most radical rides they have! If there's no puking, you're good to go!!

Offline Stranatur

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »
Dear friends!
From Country of Tourism travel agency, the exclusive touristic operator of Sokol airbase (www.flymigsokol.com), we are glad to offer you our really unique services - flights in a legendary Russian combat fighters MIG-29 and MIG-31, flights and flight training in L-39 trainer!!!
We offer you the following incredible flight tours in Russia:
1. Aerobatic flight on a legendary MIG-29 combat fighter
You can feel yourself as a real top-gun and try all possible aerobatic manuvers - rols, loops, tail slide, low pass, etc.
You will have an opportunity to control the fighter by yourself!!! All flights are operated under control of most experienced Russian test-pilots with 5000 flight hours background!
All details about this flight - http://www.bestrussiantour.com/jet_flights/aerobatics_mig29
2. Amazing Flight to stratosphere (22 km) + Aerobatic flight on MIG-29
This program is really the best for aviation and space fans! Just few people was on the alltitude of 22 km and saw the dark sky, stars and our Globe of the Earth!!! The maximum speed is 2,8 M!!! On the back way you will try the full aerobatic complex! This experience is a deal of your life and great photos and movie are garanteed!
All details - http://www.bestrussiantour.com/jet_flights/aerobatics_edge_space
3. Flights and flight training on L-39 Albatros trainer
To try the jet for reasonable money and to feel all aerobatic - L-39 is the best option! All possible
manuvers will be provide to you under control of test-pilots of Russian aerobatic team RUSS.
If you want to be a member of real aerobatic team for the moment - you welcome for 30 minutes or 1 hour flights!
Details - http://www.bestrussiantour.com/jet_flights/l39_flight_tour
If you want to fly by yourself and become a real pilot - you can try our L-39 flight training!
Theoretical course and 42 flight hours - and you will be real Russian top gun!!!
Details - http://www.bestrussiantour.com/jet_flights/flight_training_l39
4. You can present all this flight tours in Russia as a gift to your friends, partners or family members!
Details of this offer - http://www.bestrussiantour.com/jet_flights/flights_present

For any questions don't hesitate to contact me chief@stranatur.ru
Best regards,
Sergey Skuratov
General Director
Country of Tourism, Russia

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »
Are these the people you flew with Shawn?
My 'junk' reference was the MiG-25 on which the -31 is based. I'm sure the -31 is greatly improved over the -25. You sound like you had (and have) a great life Shawn. I will definately look you up next time I plan to go out that way. I'll pass on the Pitts as I get airsick watching them from the ground! Those guys and gals are really something that pilot those planes and ones like it.

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 11:41:24 PM »
Hi, 'Vark,
No, these are not the people I had arrange the tour, but maybe these folks are the ones I flew with in Russia.
Oddly enough, there is another post from one of the people from MIG Sokol on this wonderful site we use, and I did meet him at MAKS '07, and 4 days later at Nizhny Novgorod when we flew.
I have a bit of high blood pressure from a long-ago surfing accident, and my blood pressure was quite high during the pre-flight physical- I told my wife this, and when she looked at the video,and saw our interpreter, she said "I'm not surprised your blood pressure was high with a hottie like that standing next to you!" Our interpreter WAS a lovely young lady!!!
You know, if you fly in a Pitts or Extra, you don't HAVE to fly radical aerobatics. (he, he)

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA