MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: The Coolest Thing I've Ever Done!  (Read 14747 times)

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
The Coolest Thing I've Ever Done!
« on: June 01, 2008, 07:07:06 AM »
Today, I got a ride in a T-6 Texan!  ;D

It was an almost hour long ride, in and out of formation with another T-6. We took off in formation, flew around, did a pass on the airport, which happened to be having a WWII type show day(its also a museum). Afterwords, we went off to screw around for a while, during the L3 demonstrations.

During that time we flew in different formations(wingtip, trail, ect.). Most of the time we were under 20 ft from each other, however there was a good amount of turbulence so we didn't get to close. Then we broke off from the other and did a barrel roll into a left turn and ended up with the edge of the wing almost parallel to the ground, right as our wingman flew about 50-100 ft out in front of us, which made it look even cooler. After that, the pilot asked how I was feeling, I told him I was feeling great and that it was awesome(looking at the ground upside down in a plane is F***ING AWESOME!). He radioed our wingman and told him we were going to do a loop. So, he stayed clear. My pilot explained how it would work and we did it. IT WAS AWESOME! 15 degrees down to gain speed, and then a quick(and I mean slamming the stick back quick)pull up into the loop. Look straight up, look left, look at the ground. It was awesome! Afterwards, we got back into formation with us at lead, and climbed to about 6,000 ft AGL and flew through the clouds. After a couple minutes we began our descent.

Unfortunately, it was time to land. We came into the pattern and then lead motioned with two fingers, meaning 2 seconds till break. 1.....2....break.........and he was way out from us. We waited and watched, he put his gear down, we put ours down. As we were coming in, I opened up my cockpit and let the breeze come in. After landing, we taxied over and shut the engine down.

Conclusion, if you can get a ride in a T-6 don't hesitate for anything. Along with that, CH-47s are fun, but you can't do loops.........and Cessena's.......well they will never be any fun after this.................

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
Re: The Coolest Thing I've Ever Done!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 05:16:28 PM »
Wow! That must have been a lot of fun  ;D Lucky you!

Did you get to have the control for a little while? It would be even sweeter  :D
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 04:20:58 AM »
Unfortunately no, but considering it was a privately owned quarter million dollar aircraft, I didn't expect to get control........... ;D

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:02:28 AM »
Hey, Webmaster, why did you move it? A T-6 is a vintage aircraft, and therefore historic is it not?

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:11:45 AM »
Hey-iluveagles, Go to King City,California, and walk in to the Sean D. Tucker Acadamy of Aviation Safety.
Plunk down your credit card and say you'd like to ride in a Pitts Special, or better yet an Extra 300L. A one hour flight will cost less than 400 dollars, and you will get the chance to fly the plane. I recommend it, it's so very good for the soul! You may end up doing things you never, ever thought you'd do.
Better yet, call ahead.
Go for it!
Shawn a

Offline MightyHunter

• Flight Leader
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
Well I done something thats not really cool more scary but not many folk get chance to do it

Flying into Basrah airbase in daylight with full body armour up doing a sporty type landing , in other words high then to low in a very short space of time  :)

severe muscle movements not only through sickness but my arse bricking it with fear of being shot down heheheh

Scary yeah , cool not really  ;D Stick with small private aerobatics from now on

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 06:28:10 AM »
Well, I'm going to Cali in two weeks, but I won't have any free time to do that, but it sure sounds cool!

I want to get like 15 Grand and then go to Russia and get a ride in a Mig-29 or Mig-31, but I barely would have the $400 dollars you were talking about let alone $15,000!

Offline giel

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »
Must have been great!
I can tell you that doing a barrel roll in an open cockpit is cool! You get the feeling that you will fall out of it....
do you have pics from this flight??

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 05:53:17 AM »
Unfourtunatly, I was only able to take three with my cell phone and for some reason my cell and my computer won't interface, so I can't get them off of the cell. If I figure it out I will post them though.  :(

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 06:26:03 AM »
Hey, Webmaster, why did you move it? A T-6 is a vintage aircraft, and therefore historic is it not?

Because it's more about you flying than about the aircraft.  ;)
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »
Hey iloveagles;
If you win the lottery or a rich uncle dies, take both the 31 and the 29. If you have to choose one, take the 29.
As of Aug. of '07, the 29 cost $19,000, and the 31 was $21,000.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA