Aviation Hobby > Flying

Went to the Airport

(1/3) > >>

Cobra2:
Hey guys, today I went to the Clarion airport (the closest one is Franklin but I was in Clarion anyway) which is about 20 minutes away from my house and I saw a Cessna 172 take-off and a Commuter plane land. I was at the gate but the squadron leader took me to their main flight hangar and I sat in a Cessna 172 and saw a Piper Aerobat  and another stunt plane and a Bell 206 over-fly, and an Ultra-Light etc. Anyway, when the commuter came in it was pretty loud and awesome! once it touched down about 100 feet after touchdown it hit the reverse-thrust and wow it was a loud 'whoosh' sound. And I was 15 feet from where it taxied in to. I can only imagen what a fighter sounds like that close!

Viggen:
Good for you Cobra!  I take it anyway i can, even if its commuter jets. The sound from jet engines are just magical. Sounds like you had a wonderful day at the airport. Hope you´ll have more and soon get to see some military jets also.  :)

Gripen:
Right next to Canberra Airport, theres this huge shopping centre thingy (its totally bogan) and theres this cafe thing called the Runway cafe

So i was at this cafe one day, and i was watching the planes take off (as in, i could see the pilots and some of the people in the windows)

I seen a Fokker somethingarather with propellers, and about 4 different jet's, probably boeings of some desciption, but they werent the 747, 757, 737 etc, it was like a small one.

I thought they would have been more noisy, but the glass in the cafe was probably sound proofed.

Gloster Meteors and Vampires are loud..

Raptor:
Fantastic.

I don't get to sit in the plane, but if i'm free, i can see F-16s and Apaches very regularly. There was once an F-16 came within 200 meters of the window. I live high-rise, so you get the idea...

RecceJet:

--- Quote from: Gripen on November 02, 2007, 10:37:15 AM ---Right next to Canberra Airport, theres this huge shopping centre thingy (its totally bogan) and theres this cafe thing called the Runway cafe

So i was at this cafe one day, and i was watching the planes take off (as in, i could see the pilots and some of the people in the windows)

I seen a Fokker somethingarather with propellers, and about 4 different jet's, probably boeings of some desciption, but they werent the 747, 757, 737 etc, it was like a small one.

I thought they would have been more noisy, but the glass in the cafe was probably sound proofed.

Gloster Meteors and Vampires are loud..

--- End quote ---

The two main airlines that service Canberra "International" Airport are Virgin-Blue and Qantas-Link. Qantas predominantly flies Dash-8s out of Canberra, those are the twin turbo-prop bug-smashers with high-set wings.

I haven't actually visited Brand Depot much at all. Is that where the café is? I only ever watch the activity from the Qantas lounge when I'm at the airport.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version