MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Went to the Airport  (Read 21047 times)

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
Went to the Airport
« on: August 27, 2007, 01:58:43 AM »
Hey guys, today I went to the Clarion airport (the closest one is Franklin but I was in Clarion anyway) which is about 20 minutes away from my house and I saw a Cessna 172 take-off and a Commuter plane land. I was at the gate but the squadron leader took me to their main flight hangar and I sat in a Cessna 172 and saw a Piper Aerobat  and another stunt plane and a Bell 206 over-fly, and an Ultra-Light etc. Anyway, when the commuter came in it was pretty loud and awesome! once it touched down about 100 feet after touchdown it hit the reverse-thrust and wow it was a loud 'whoosh' sound. And I was 15 feet from where it taxied in to. I can only imagen what a fighter sounds like that close!

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Re: Went to the Airport
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:32:20 AM »
Good for you Cobra!  I take it anyway i can, even if its commuter jets. The sound from jet engines are just magical. Sounds like you had a wonderful day at the airport. Hope you´ll have more and soon get to see some military jets also.  :)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:37:15 AM »
Right next to Canberra Airport, theres this huge shopping centre thingy (its totally bogan) and theres this cafe thing called the Runway cafe

So i was at this cafe one day, and i was watching the planes take off (as in, i could see the pilots and some of the people in the windows)

I seen a Fokker somethingarather with propellers, and about 4 different jet's, probably boeings of some desciption, but they werent the 747, 757, 737 etc, it was like a small one.

I thought they would have been more noisy, but the glass in the cafe was probably sound proofed.

Gloster Meteors and Vampires are loud..

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 01:57:25 PM »
Fantastic.

I don't get to sit in the plane, but if i'm free, i can see F-16s and Apaches very regularly. There was once an F-16 came within 200 meters of the window. I live high-rise, so you get the idea...
-JCLim

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:03:25 AM »
Right next to Canberra Airport, theres this huge shopping centre thingy (its totally bogan) and theres this cafe thing called the Runway cafe

So i was at this cafe one day, and i was watching the planes take off (as in, i could see the pilots and some of the people in the windows)

I seen a Fokker somethingarather with propellers, and about 4 different jet's, probably boeings of some desciption, but they werent the 747, 757, 737 etc, it was like a small one.

I thought they would have been more noisy, but the glass in the cafe was probably sound proofed.

The two main airlines that service Canberra "International" Airport are Virgin-Blue and Qantas-Link. Qantas predominantly flies Dash-8s out of Canberra, those are the twin turbo-prop bug-smashers with high-set wings.

I haven't actually visited Brand Depot much at all. Is that where the café is? I only ever watch the activity from the Qantas lounge when I'm at the airport.

Offline Flanker.94

• Flight Leader
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 01:44:34 AM »
Hi. Near my father's house, a plane collector often flies his planes. He has a Spitfire, a Mustang a Tiger Moth... Sometimes CAF Hornets and Griffons fly over us. It is just so hot...

Here is the website of the collector: http://www.vintagewings.ca/page?s=65.
It's time to dive in the fireworks!

Offline Flanker.94

• Flight Leader
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 01:46:12 AM »
I forgot to tell about the magnificent red Staggerwing of the collector. It is one of the most beautiful planes I've never seen!
It's time to dive in the fireworks!

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »

The two main airlines that service Canberra "International" Airport are Virgin-Blue and Qantas-Link. Qantas predominantly flies Dash-8s out of Canberra, those are the twin turbo-prop bug-smashers with high-set wings.

I haven't actually visited Brand Depot much at all. Is that where the café is? I only ever watch the activity from the Qantas lounge when I'm at the airport.

Yeah, twas Brand Depot, the cafe was creatively named the Runway Cafe, and it has amazing views of the runway...

I wonder where they thought of such a original and entertaining name for the Cafe....

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 07:51:44 AM »
Hey, I also wanted to tell you guys a couple weeks ago an AH-1 Cobra flew by...very loud!
It was too far to tell the variant so that I am unsure of.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »
Well, i've had 2 (probably) different F-18's fly over me. One was for 2007 ANZAC day celebrations, it flew over my house. I could hear it coming and I couldnt figure what the hell the screaming noise was. Lol, thought it was some loser on his motorbike, then it steadily got louder. Was a F-18.

And at Bathurst, one of them did a fly over, got some pics and vids of it. Shame, he didnt go on afterburners. Still, he was going fastish..

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »
Hi Cobra
Had to look up that airport you mention PA has some good air shows to check out.  This will help find you more.
http://www.aero-pix.com/schedule/schedule.htm

4/12
Aviation Exploration Day 2008 -- Static Display
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Intl Airport, Avoca

http://www.wingsoverpittsburgh.com/performers%202008.html

6/6
World War 2 Weekend
Reading Regional Airport, Reading

8/23
2008 Lancaster Community Days Airshow
Lancaster Airport (KLNS), Lititz

10/11
Rotorfest 2008-All Helicopter Airshow
Brandywine Airport, Westchester

I was at this (Went to two or three shows in a row here and saw a Mig-29 once)
http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/WilkesBarre2000/index.html

http://fotodj.com/

Haven't been to an air show in years I hoping to change that this summer.

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 08:06:24 AM »
Steven, I am really very sorry, I haven't been on Milavia in ages, Thanks for the links, I'm checking them out right now! I would really love going to an airshow :)

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA