Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Military Aircraft / Re: Boeing B-17 Motorization
« Last post by Phigla on April 26, 2020, 04:55:55 AM »
Dear Fellows

I have another trivial question
For the prototype Model 299 it was 9 crews, for the B-17F and G it  was 10 cews
For the Y1B17 I read 6 crews
My question is"
what is the number of crew and function for the Model  299, Y1B17, Y1B19A, B-17-B, B-17C,

Thanks in advance
« Last post by Phigla on April 16, 2020, 10:10:49 AM »
The evolution of the Wright engine used by the B-17 can be found at
http://www.enginehistory.org/References/ModDesig/moddesig.shtml
« Last post by Phigla on April 07, 2020, 01:47:52 PM »
Dear Niels Hillebrand,

Thanks a lot for the information you sent to me.

Let me read it, maybe I will come back to you.

Greetings from China, have a nice day

Best regards

Philippe
« Last post by Webmaster on April 06, 2020, 10:17:14 PM »
As told in my presentation, I’m living in China and as messenger, Facebook, Twitter, even Wikipedia, other online encyclopedies are blocked by the Chinese cyber authorities my information resources are really limited…

see attachments for Wikipedia, I included some extras, so it may make some sense.

and maybe theses excellent (pre-Wikipedia era) sites will work for you:
http://www.enginehistory.org/
http://www.aviation-history.com/
just search them for the Wright R-1820.

I have questions , maybe you know the replies or maybe you can orient me to someone or somewhere.

As well I read:
The Boeing model 299 was powered by a R-1690 Hornet
The Y1B-17 by a R 1820-39 Cyclone.
The Y1B-17A by a R 1820-51 with turbocharger GE type B-2
The B-17E by a R-1820-65 cyclone.
The B-17F by a R 1820-97 cyclone with turbocharger GE typeB-2
The B-17G by a R 1820-97 cyclone with turbocharger GE type B-22

Would it be possible to know:

What are the difference between the R 1820-39, 1820-51, 1820-65, 1820-97?
They are the model numbers given by the US army, odd numbered (navy used even numbers), higher is later series model and configuration.
Sorry I don't know how they exactly align with the Wright versions/series E/F/F-50/G. I believe the 1820-97 is the G-2 model?

What the difference between the R-1690 hornet and 1820 cyclone?
P&W -vs- Wright
1690/1820 is the displacement (rounded cubic inches), the higher the more potential for power output.
P&W had more success with the R-1830 Twin Wasp (2x7=14 cylinder) than the 9 cylinder Hornet.

Difference between the turbocharger GE type B-2 and type B-22?

I can't believe I found  this: https://aviationshoppe.com/manuals/wwii_aircraft_superchargers/wwii_aircraft_turbosupercharger.html
it's from the actual manual:

"Same as Type B-2, with the following exceptions:
1. Bearing lubrication redesigned and turbine bucket wheel made of improved material which permits 24,000 rpm rated speed.
2. Has 1/2-inch flexible-rubber oil lines"

rotor speed went from 21300 rpm to 24000 rpm, weight flow increase from 110 to 120 Lb/Min at altitude 25,000 ft.

See https://aviationshoppe.com/manuals/wwii_aircraft_superchargers/wwii_aircraft_turbosupercharger.html?pageNumber=12

The difference between the 1690 hornet supercharged, the 1820 supercharged and the 1820 turbocharger?
1) different engine
2) I'm not sure about the specifics, but if I go with the definitions, a supercharger is still driven by the engine, so takes some power away. a turbo(super)charger has a turbine driven by exhaust gases. Not sure that actually applies in these cases though.

What is a R-1820 G2
Yeah, so that's the Wright model G with a certain blower ratio for the supercharger, designated G-2. So configured with the GE turbocharger, it is the same as R-1820-97 military designation?
I'm not sure, not an expert!!

anyway check out the sources.
Military Aircraft / Boeing B-17 Motorization
« Last post by Phigla on April 06, 2020, 08:42:00 AM »
As told in my presentation, I’m living in China and as messenger, Facebook, Twitter, even Wikipedia, other online encyclopedies are blocked by the Chinese cyber authorities my information resources are really limited…

I have questions , maybe you know the replies or maybe you can orient me to someone or somewhere. 

As well I read:
The Boeing model 299 was powered by a R-1690 Hornet
The Y1B-17 by a R 1820-39 Cyclone. 
The Y1B-17A by a R 1820-51 with turbocharger GE type B-2
The B-17E by a R-1820-65 cyclone. 
The B-17F by a R 1820-97 cyclone with turbocharger GE typeB-2
The B-17G by a R 1820-97 cyclone with turbocharger GE type B-22

Would it be possible to know:

What are the difference between the R 1820-39, 1820-51, 1820-65, 1820-97? 

What the difference between the R-1690 hornet and 1820 cyclone? 

Difference between the turbocharger GE type B-2 and type B-22? 

The difference between the 1690 hornet supercharged, the 1820 supercharged and the 1820 turbocharger? 

What is a R-1820 G2

Really sorry for all these questions,  I really don't find any replies regarding my limited information resources. 

Thanks in advance
News & Announcements / Air Show Cancellations
« Last post by Webmaster on March 22, 2020, 01:27:10 AM »
The challenging and unprecedented situation presented by this global crisis has forced many organizations to cancel or postpone air shows and other public aviation events, which were scheduled to take place this spring.

The air show calendar presented on this website is updated accordingly,as announcements are being made.

As the impact and the implications are becoming more profound, also major air shows that were planned to take place over the summer have been affected. Unfortunately, more cancellations are to be expected as the situation gets worse.

Although the air show calendar will continue to be updated, event information is not always available or up-to-date.

Even once the situation improves locally and there is no indication that a listed event is cancelled, please seek confirmation that the show goes on, take into account travel restrictions and other complicating factors before making any plans.
Air Show News & Previews / OCEAN SKY 2019 (Spotters Day)
« Last post by thefightercommunity on October 09, 2019, 02:35:29 PM »
OCEAN SKY 19 (DACT 2019)
The Air Defense Exercise “Ocean Sky 19” (previously known as DACT) will take place at Gando Air Base (Canary Islands) from October the 19th till November the 1st.
Participating aircraft will include F-15C Eagle from United States Air Force (USAF), F-16C from Turkey, a NATO E-3 SENTRY, and Spanish Air Force EF-18 Hornets (12th, 15th and 46th Wings) and Eurofighter EF2000 (11th and 14th Wings), other Spanish Air force units will also support the exercise including, C-295 (35th Wing) and Super Puma and Persuader (82th Group) plus A400M (31th Wing).

In order of showing the general public and the aviation enthusiast the importance of this exercise, Spanish Air Force Air combat Command (MACOM) joint with Canaries Air Command (MACAN) will carry out a spotter’s day on Monday October the 28th. The event, with their inscription processes will be officially confirmed by the MACOM/MACAN at due time in the Spanish Air Force official web site (www.ejercitodelaire.mde.es).

The Ocean Sky 19 Exercise is developed and coordinated by the Spanish Air Force MACOM within their Air Defense Units advanced training plan. The main goal of this exercise is the advanced training of fighter pilots in air combat tactics by using mock up air combats with dissimilar fighter, within an increasing difficulty air campaign. Where mission planners and fighter pilots have to face advanced and complex simulated combat situations.

Best Regards,
Alejandro
Air Forces / Re: The Tanker Joke - round... 4, I think?
« Last post by purna on November 11, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
It's a difficult enough decision in itself, all sizegenetics the lobbying doesn't help anyone... but well, gotta love democracy, right..
Air Show News & Previews / Spotter's Day Ocean Sky 18 (DACT 2018)
« Last post by thefightercommunity on September 21, 2018, 08:28:36 PM »
The Air Defense Exercise “Ocean Sky 18” (previously known as DACT) will take place at Gando Air Base (Canary Islands) from November the 16th till November the 30th.

Participating aircraft will include F-15C Eagle from United States Air Force (USAF), F-16AM from Portugal, a NATO E-3 SENTRY, and Spanish Air Force EF-18 Hornets (12th, 15th and 46th Wings) and Eurofighter EF2000 (11th and 14th Wings), other Spanish Air force units will also support the exercise including, C-295 (35th Wing) and Super Puma and Persuader (802 Squadron) plus CK-130 Hercules (31th Wing).

In order of showing the general public and the aviation enthusiast the importance of this exercise, Spanish Air Force Air combat Command (MACOM) joint with Canaries Air Command (MACAN) have the intention of carrying out a media day (planned for Tuesday November the 26th, but the date isn’t officially confirmed yet) and a spotters day (planned for Wednesday November the 27th, the date isn’t officially confirmed yet). Both events, with their inscription processes will be officially confirmed by the MACOM/MACAN at due time. Repetition, the Spanish Air force have the intention of carrying out both a media day and a spotter’s day, but they aren’t officially confirmed yet.

The Ocean Sky 18 Exercise is developed and coordinated by the Spanish Air Force MACOM within their Air Defense Units advanced training plan. The main goal of this exercise is the advanced training of fighter pilots in air combat tactics by using mock up air combats with dissimilar fighter, within an increasing difficulty air campaign. Where mission planners and fighter pilots have to face advanced and complex simulated combat situations.

If you want to know more about this exercise, here is a promo video I made for the Spanish Air Force (is in English)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJG0ICG1cKw
Here is a video of last year DACT 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TEHrmDtj1E

Best Regards,
Alejando

Capt. Jake “Red Stripe” Frederick
Husband, Father, Pilot
April 24, 1984–December 8, 2016

Capt. Jake “Red Stripe” Frederick, a US Marine and F/A-18 Hornet pilot, was killed after ejecting from his aircraft roughly 120 miles off the coast of Japan on Thursday, December 8, 2016 while deployed with VMFA-115, The World Famous Silver Eagles. God, family and the country he died defending were of the upmost importance to Jake. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 2008 with a Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Engineering. After graduation, he was commissioned at the Texas Capitol in the United States Marine Corps, where he faithfully served his country for eight years. Jake married the love of his life in 2009, and they built a life together serving the God and the country they love. Jake is survived by his beautiful, loving wife Kiley Frederick, their son Colt Frederick, and daughter, Mayley Frederick. Colt was 3 years old when his hero gave all for his country. Mayley missed meeting her Daddy here on earth by 5 weeks.
 Jake’s primary flight training was at NAS Corpus Christi; his advanced jet training at NAS Kingsville, Texas; FRS VMFAT-101 Sharpshooters, MCAS Miramar San Diego, CA; and finally, to his chosen fleet squadron VMFA-115 Silver Eagles, MCAS Beaufort, SC, where he was on his second deployment overseas.
Legacy
Jake had a relationship with his Heavenly Father, and great respect for Bible doctrine. He led and loved his family fiercely. He was proud of his country, his home state of Texas and Marine aviation. If there’s one thing Jake would want the world to know, it’s this — His greatest achievement in life wasn’t his integrity, character or his degree from Texas in Petroleum Engineering. It wasn’t his Christ-centered marriage, his military career, his children or even his sacrifice for our nation. The single greatest thing Jake did in life was the decision he made to believe on Jesus Christ as his Savior. And as a result of that choice, Jake is home. He is reaping multiplied blessings face-to-face with our Creator, and he knows joy unimaginable.
Pre-Flight Checklist
Before each flight, Jake always made sure he remembered to use 1John 1:9 to “get squared away ” – or as his pre-flight checklist reflected, “FHS” – meaning to ensure “fellowship with the Holy Spirit” by confessing any known sin in his life. Jake’s life was an example to all around him of the unwavering grace and faithfulness of God. Even in death, Jake’s life continues to shine as a beacon to those who would believe in the name of Jesus Christ, his death on the cross for our sins, and in turn, receive eternal life. Jake would want others to know by believing in Christ, they can have an eternal purpose in this life. Jake lived out the gospel as a patriot who made the ultimate sacrifice for his country. A devoted husband, loving father, and an incredible brother and son, his death is the greatest spiritual promotion he could ever receive – and one that honors God as a believer.
“With much emotion, but solid ground beneath our feet because of the truth that circulates in our core, we realize for real soul resilience to take place, we have to have true flexibility in life. We know firsthand – this thing we call life, in a very real sense, amounts to one long series of adjustments. So, we epitomize flexibility, and we adjust. We hold tight to each other and our learned soul resilience. I teach my children we must carry on with right perspective. We pick up the pieces and move forward in life. In that, lies true soul resilience. We can't change what was, we can't predict the future, but we can mentally allow our perspective on life to focus on the joy, the good, and the tools we are given to make the future the best it can be for our children and their children after them.” –Kiley Frederick
"Winds calm, altimeter 29.92, runway 05 in use, Red Stripe 1 flight cleared to the Kingdom of God via Beaufort, Corpus Christi, direct. On departure, fly runway heading, climb and maintain angels unlimited,
cleared for takeoff, contact departure.”
-Capt. Brian “DJANGO” Grygo, USMC

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA