MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: MILAVIA Aircraft sections  (Read 5209 times)

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
MILAVIA Aircraft sections
« on: September 23, 2008, 12:43:20 PM »
I'm not sure where to put this thread... Move it if there's a more appropos board please, Webby.

Why is the F-117 still an "IS?" Shouldn't it be a "WAS?"  :-\ I think there are a few more outdated stuff in there but yeah... I can see you're working on it.  ;D I didn't mean you aren't doing anything, Webby the Flanker sections are awesome.  :D
-JCLim

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Aircraft sections
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »
Moved to website feedback...

Well, it still "is", as far as I know. At least it "is" at the moment of writing, 2005 says the page update. Don't be fooled by headlines, it is being retired, but it isn't retired altogether yet. Even then, I suppose it would be still correct to say it "is", because the design does not expire and the designation is not retired.

But you make a valid point, I should have been more careful about past/present verbs in the texts, although even then it doesn't give you much of a clue regarding "up-to-dateness". At the time of writing, I was not aware of retirement plans, and I did not anticipate I wouldn't have time to keep all texts up to date. Actually, I did not know yet of how long the site would live at the time of writing those early 'quick' sections.

Anyway, I purposely added the "last update" date on each page, which I think one should always consider, in print and on the internet. But I am painfully aware that last update of the page does not always reflect the time of writing of the (entire) text. Some report a more recent date just because the page code was modified, or just some typo or picture.

That's why the new and "upgraded" sections have a mouse-over dropdown box when you point at that last update date, reporting the date it was published, last revision (all text reviewed and updated), piecemal updates, and other modifications. Which should be somewhat helpful when "up-to-dateness" matters.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
Re: Aircraft sections
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:47:21 PM »
Thanks, Webby. That helped some.  ;)
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA