MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: MILAVIA Viggen section, needs your help!  (Read 8562 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
MILAVIA Viggen section, needs your help!
« on: November 18, 2005, 08:52:22 AM »
Hi guys!

I am currently reworking the Viggen section. Adding facts and information of all versions.

I have also come in contact with a real Viggenpilot. Niels and i got the idea of doing an interview that will be publiced under the same section (i think).

I could use your help with the questions. What would you guys like to know? What would you find intresting to read? Thou questions about Gripens radar and weapon-system is off limits. That is secret information.

At the moment i can say that he has 900 flighthours on the Viggen, including all versions. He have also flown the Gripen. I dont want to give away to much at the moment, you will have to wait for the finished project.  :)

We have a few questions already but not enough. No question is to stupid, the more we get to choose from the better interview you guys get to read.
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Greekpilot

Re: The Viggen section, needs your help!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 09:12:58 PM »
I am actually interested on the JA-37 Viggen "Eurofighter" that was offered to Belgium, Holland, Norway and Denmark and how much was it evaluated against the F-16.
Plus some videos of Viggen.

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 07:23:02 PM »
Hmm, Yes one Video sended by Viggen of Sweden Jaguars, Its Excellent. Dear keep it up.  ;)
PAKISTAN AIR FORCE (www.paffalcons.com)

FOR THOSE WHO DARE THE FUTURE IN THE SKIES

Offline Ramon

• Scorpion Aviation Photography
  • Global Moderator
  • Fighter Ace
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 08:02:57 PM »
Hmm, Yes one Video sended by Viggen of Sweden Jaguars, Its Excellent. Dear keep it up.  ;)

Hello guys,

I'm now a little bit confused......... ::)
(Air Marshall):If Viggen can show us a video of a Swedish Jaguar, than he can make some really big money.
Because, as far that I know, the swedish AF had never used an Jaguar.
(Greek Pilot): And correct me if I'm wrong, but the name Eurofighter is for the EF2000.
I think that you mean that the JA-37 Viggen was used for european country's to buy as a fighter.

Don't get me wrong guys, but just to keep the facts wright. Keep on posting any info that you have. ;)

Best Regards, Ramon. ::)
  • Interests: A-10, F-14, F-105, B-58 and warbirds

Greekpilot

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 08:42:55 PM »
SAAB 37E Eurofighter
In the early 1970's, when the fighter version of the Viggen, JA 37, was under developing, some NATO-countries went out on the market to buy new aircraft. This deal was known as the weapondeal of the century. A total of 346 aircrafts were needed for Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark and Norway. All these countries were about to replace their F104 Starfighter. SAAB and their partners (Ericsson and Volvo Aero) introduced the SAAB 37E Eurofighter. 37E are now used on the SK37 aircrafts that have replaced the J32B in the ECM-role and Eurofighter is the designation of the latest project of some countries (aka EF 2000 Typhoon). SAAB thought they had only 8 % to get this order, but it was worth fighting for!!

http://hem.passagen.se/weasle/eng_index.html

Offline Ramon

• Scorpion Aviation Photography
  • Global Moderator
  • Fighter Ace
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 09:13:35 PM »
SAAB 37E Eurofighter
In the early 1970's, when the fighter version of the Viggen, JA 37, was under developing, some NATO-countries went out on the market to buy new aircraft. This deal was known as the weapondeal of the century. A total of 346 aircrafts were needed for Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark and Norway. All these countries were about to replace their F104 Starfighter. SAAB and their partners (Ericsson and Volvo Aero) introduced the SAAB 37E Eurofighter. 37E are now used on the SK37 aircrafts that have replaced the J32B in the ECM-role and Eurofighter is the designation of the latest project of some countries (aka EF 2000 Typhoon). SAAB thought they had only 8 % to get this order, but it was worth fighting for!!

http://hem.passagen.se/weasle/eng_index.html

Hello GreekPilot,

My appologies :-[ , did not know this information.
Thanks for sharing with us.  ;D

Regards, Ramon.  ::)
  • Interests: A-10, F-14, F-105, B-58 and warbirds

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 07:26:47 PM »
346 first batch maybe...it would have been followed by more, just look at the F-16....the Netherlands alone bought 200+ fighters

The Viggen was way too expensive compared to the F-16.... or maybe 'too realistical-priced'  :P... anyway with a good habit of buying US equipment (for most of these countries), the F-16 was the winner. And looking in hind-sight, it was a good choice considering the development of truly multi-role capabilities which followed for the F-16.

Anyway, we'll be asking questions to a SwAF pilot, not a SAAB marketing/sales person for the Viggen...
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:16:43 AM »
Thank you Niels, i was about to tell the guys the same thing i just did not know how to tell them nicley.  ;)

I can  also tell you guys that comparing Viggen with the F16 is like comparing night and day. Viggen is a defensive fighter, made for hit and run missions. Basicly what that means is that they send up a couple of viggens to intercept the object. Identifie it and if its hostile, they fire at it. But they will never engage in a dogfight against other fighters unless they have no choice. Why? Beacause they will loose.

Viggen do not have the same preformance as a normal fighter. Its built to for a rapid response, do its buisness and then get the hell out of there.  :)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA