MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: 1/48 B-1B Lancer by Revell  (Read 20299 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
1/48 B-1B Lancer by Revell
« on: October 25, 2005, 03:39:03 PM »
My parents surprised me with an early birthday (14 Nov) present, a 1/48 scale model kit of the B-1B by Revell. The beast will be 90 by 87 centimeters (that's about 3 by 3 feet) when built with the wings fully swept forwards. I think I will built it with the landing gear extended, either with extended wings and detailed extended flaps (if a set is available) and hang it from the ceiling. Or fully swept wings, all bay doors open, sitting on the ground. The problem with the last option is that I need to find a safe place for it in my room and preferrably built a dust proof casing around it.

It will be quite a project to build this thing.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Re: 1/48 B-1B Lancer by Revell
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 08:57:27 AM »
Put it inside an aquarium...(Remove the water first).  ;)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Goose

• Flight Leader
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 07:03:35 PM »
That is really cool!!!!!! That is currently the largest model kit available. What store options does the kit come with? What kind of detail is inside?

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 08:45:54 PM »
You mean the largest B-1B?

Well, the stores options are quite dissappointing. It has 16 AGM-69 SRAMs included, on two rotary launchers in bay 1 and 2.

The detail leaves much add-on work to be done. But it is not bad, all the panels and bays are somewhat decorated with some plumbing (although my fear is it looks way different on the real thing). The top eject hatches can be left open, so you get a nice view into the cockpit. It has the seats and instrument panel, but for a 1/48th scale it should be more detailed. The ladder into the cockpit can be extended, which it nice. The wheels all have rubber tires. The gear is quite detailed, quite some little parts, and allows you to build it so it the wheels can still turn. The wings can be moved backwards and forwards as expected.

Paint guide/decals are included for 84-0057, 96th bomber wing, 337th bomber squadron (Dyess AFB 1993) as well as 86-0140 7th Bomber Wing, 9th BS (Dyess AFB, 1998). Although the former has a nice camouflage which is nicer to paint (airbrush), I'd prefer the newer all grey scheme for the looks. The latter was also the last Lancer built.

A bit of a relief was, when I saw that the panel lining are all sunken, and not extended lines on the plastic surface....you understand? Probably not, so I quickly made a sketch...see attachment, probably the modeller's worst night mare if they lay on top of the surface.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Goose

• Flight Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 10:35:27 PM »
Thanks for the sketch but I'm familiar with the moulding, remember I build these also. The stores option is kinda poor. Personally I like the olive green cammo.

Offline noelrn

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 10:07:53 PM »
 :-X I just got two of them on E-bay. also managed to get Some 1/48 weapon sets. So im ditching the SRAMS. Do any of you guys now of any place on the net showing  the weapons bays on a B-1B.Im hoping to load mine with a mix of JDAMS.MK82.Mk84 PGM,s

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 12:30:47 AM »
You can have a look here: http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/b-1b.htm

I doubt they will ever carry a combination of guided and freefall ammunition in real life.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Zeke

• Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 01:34:36 PM »
Webmaster sir, you'll have to post some pictures for us to oggle at when you're done...please?... 8)
Do not despise the snake for having no horns. for who is to say it will not become a Dragon?
}:)

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 01:19:28 PM »
How is it going now Niels? Its been a long time and we don't have news of this monster :o ;D
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 09:07:05 PM »
Sorry, I won't start on the beast until I have some space and time for it...maybe when I finish of my study and while I am looking for a job.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 09:29:43 PM »
I see. Well, then I hope to see it soon :) I am sure it will be terrific when done >:D
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 05:10:36 PM »
:-X I just got two of them on E-bay. also managed to get Some 1/48 weapon sets. So im ditching the SRAMS. Do any of you guys now of any place on the net showing  the weapons bays on a B-1B.Im hoping to load mine with a mix of JDAMS.MK82.Mk84 PGM,s

Noelrn, how are you getting along?

I noticed there are two photo etched detail sets available for the kit, one for the engine exhaust, that should be a welcome upgrade I think. The other one, I dont know, maybe the gear, cockpit is hardly worth it as you dont see much of it.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA