MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: My new radiocontrolled aircraft  (Read 32807 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: My new radiocontrolled aircraft
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 08:54:20 PM »
How much do these things cost then?

(powerful enough ducted fan and the cheapest jet engine that has enough power)
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 09:36:59 AM »
The cheapest jetengine so far i have seen, a swedish made one. Costs 19000 Skr/ 1750 Euro if my calculation is correct. An electric engine (ducted fan) with enough batteries to power my aircraft would cost about half that much.

If i look at second hand, then i will get away cheaper. But then you have to be aware that it has not been in a crash or been runned overpowered/overheated.

There is so much to think about before buying anything. Like compitability between diffrent components, all the electronics inside the aircraft. The more weight, the less it costs. So its a delicate balancing between your own economy, good and reliable components.

There is much more to it then i first thought when i started with this project. Im a bit out on deep water but help is not far away if i ever need it. The restoration of the airframe is easy, to get it up flying safe in the air is the hard part. :)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 03:54:31 PM »
That is indeed more expensive than I thought. But when you consider what most people are spending on their hobbies, it's not that expensive. Of course you still need to have the money.  ;)

What if you order it via the internet from the USA. I bet you could save a lot of money because of the poor state of the US Dollar, even with the additional shipping and insurance on it it should be cheaper than in Sweden. There's only that risk that you have to pay import taxes for it.

I was thinking you could start a blog about your project here on milavia, asking for sponsors/donations for the project. But I'm afraid it won't bring in enough money to buy an engine, maybe one bucket of paint eventually.

Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 10:52:34 PM »
True, its really not more expensive then golf. But then i cant afford to play golf either...LOL!  ;)

Would be really cool to be sponsored and it would defenatly help with alot of finacial problems. I actually thought that i would get this bird in the air by this summer. The way things are right now, that wont happen.

About a blog. That could be fun, however i dont have much to write since no work has been done during the winter months. But sure i could give it a try. There is always something to write about the model.  :)

Ordering parts from US or Germany is what most pro´s do. Parts are cheaper and they are of high quality. Even with paying import taxes it results in being cheaper. The diffrence in prices between Sweden an US are like night and day when it comes to general components and parts.

Just check this baby out, and its looks even larger then my sweetie. Second hand, but it comes complete and ready to fly. All you need to do is add the fuel. Something for you perhaps Niels? ;D
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=358237
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 11:18:50 PM »
Maybe when I win the lottery! It sure looks good though!
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 03:36:42 AM »
Im guessing that each jetengine on that Tomcat has a thrust of 12-16kg. Top speed should be above 300km/h. Mount a camera on it and you got youself a shortrange UAV. (Which you can buy with a special LCD-screen to mount on your transmitter also). 8)
Patrik S.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 05:04:44 AM »
P990i=3.2megapixel camera. Reasonably good shutter speed. But not the best smartphone on the market.  ;D

No hobby shops near you... You could, um... make a miniature of the real thing? Valkyrian should know a few tips.  ;)

I don't know much about these models, as it's not exactly practical to use them in Singapore, so i guess the closest i'll ever get to flying one of these is if i join the RSAF UAV squadron.  :(

Would it be possible to custom the engine? So that you'll have the same weight-thrust proportion as the real viggen?
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 11:30:51 PM »
P990i=3.2megapixel camera. Reasonably good shutter speed. But not the best smartphone on the market.  ;D

No hobby shops near you... You could, um... make a miniature of the real thing? Valkyrian should know a few tips.  ;)

I don't know much about these models, as it's not exactly practical to use them in Singapore, so i guess the closest i'll ever get to flying one of these is if i join the RSAF UAV squadron.  :(

Would it be possible to custom the engine? So that you'll have the same weight-thrust proportion as the real viggen?

He he, i dident buy the the phone because of the camera. Better to buy a real digital systemcamera insteed. I bought the phone because my memory sucks and the calender is easy to use.  :)

Maybe some smart engineer can custom the engine. You have to remember that these jetengines are small, and the parts are of the highest quality to be able to handle the pressure and heat generated. To start messing with them could easy end up in a catastrophic failure. If that happens it would be like standing next to a handgrenade.

Patrik S.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 09:49:32 AM »
True about the calendar. Though you could have gone for an O2 or Nokia if you want a superb calendar.   ;)

True about the handgrenade. But hey what's the fun in flying a fighter that has no proper ordnance?  :P It'll be a kamikaze Viggen!  >:D
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »
Ohh noo! No kamikze and crashing with the Viggen. I have the BAE Hawk for that.. LOL  ;D

I got a sweet deal on this phone, so i could not resist. I should not have bought this phone because it still was expensive for me. But my old phone had really seen better days.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 06:48:38 AM »
Hmm true. So get a bigger more powerful engine for the Viggen, lift the Hawk up and drop it on your arch-nemesis' head!  >:D *evil laughter*

About the phone... Right now, the prices in Singapore are $196 on top of a 2-year mobile plan. How about you?
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 09:34:52 AM »
Think it will be little over 50$ on a 2-year mobile plan. (Hoping i´ve been counting right). :)
Patrik S.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA