MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: My new radiocontrolled aircraft  (Read 32837 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Re: My new radiocontrolled aircraft
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 03:26:27 PM »
This is how a finished Viggen is supposed to look like. But i will go for the gray paintscheme. I have already removed the splinter-camo.  I hope i can make mine just as beautiful as this one.

The work im doing  at the moment is slow and hard. Working with fiberglas, its smelly and poisonous. Dosent take long to give you a headache, even when woring outside in a garage with the doors open. Have to strengthen the airframe where cracks have evolved. With any luck then i will have it ready to fly next year. Its mostly comes down to $, £ or Skr.  :)

• Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 05:05:31 PM »
Why? You don't like the splinter camou? I think its very nice! Maybe difficult to do if the other was ruined :-\

SO you are putting a fan (electric) on it? :P
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 07:10:59 PM »
Why? You don't like the splinter camou? I think its very nice! Maybe difficult to do if the other was ruined :-\

SO you are putting a fan (electric) on it? :P

Of course, i love the splinter camo. The camo was ok and its not so hard to do. I have all the original drawings and blueprints both for the model and the splinter camo. But all of the RC viggens i have seen so far use that paintscheme. I just want to be diffrent.  ;)

Yes, it will be a ductedfan but not electric. They cost to much for me. Thats why i bought this one secondhand, delivers 5,5Kg of thrust at 19 000rpm. But who knows i might get lucky and find a electric on cheap before i start mounting this engine inside the fuselage.  ;D

Patrik S.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 04:06:07 PM »
Scale 1/10 vs 1/72  ;D
Patrik S.

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 07:49:32 PM »
that's cool! any plans for first flight date? ::)
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 02:02:21 AM »
No dates yet. Just packed the thing up for the winter. Have no place where i can work on it during these cold  times. So far i have changed my mind again about what kind of egngine i want to use. Now i have set my goals on a electric ductedfan version. Its just makes it much easier to build and maintain. Dont have to consider about fuel tanks and ignition. Gives me more space inside the fuselage, which in turn also saves weight and lets me use retractable landing gear, would not fit otherwise.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »
Sweet! Hey Viggen are you using a VGA camera for all these shots? Or a low mp count one? It looks awesome, though. You should make a video of it flying when you're done. Btw, are the engines all free?
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 08:30:44 PM »
Just using the camera in my mobilephone to take the shots. I will defenatly make a video of its first flight, since its the biggest risk then for a spectacular crash. LOL!  ;D

No engine is for free, they all cost money from a variaty of priceranges. The most expensive ones are the jetengines of course. Since the model is so big, any type of engine that is powerfull enough to get this bird into the air is more expensive then i can afford. This is my biggest dilemma. I neeed an engine that is easy to use, dont take up to much space and packs enough power for a reasonable price. Looking at brand new equipment is out of the question, all i can do is look at second hand stuff.

Ultimate would be to win alot of money and just buy a brand new jetengine. ( That way it will sound correct also).  ;D  You really need an engine before you can complete the aircraft, since so much needs to be built and fitted around the engine. Since im an amatuer at flying/building models, i cant do any shortcuts. Everything has to fit and be placed in such way that you dont upset the balance, or you will never get it safly up in the air or even off the gound.
Patrik S.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 02:53:44 PM »
;D why don't you build your own engine?
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 11:57:29 PM »
Because i dont know how.  :(
Patrik S.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
Yeah, i figured. Which phone are you using now? Sorry gadget geek naturally curious. ;D

About the free engines. I have some idea about the engine prices. I just thought you could get a free with your model because you were changing it over and over again. :P

Well, you could borrow an engine from a shop then reverse-engineer it...
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 08:04:06 PM »
He he, no shop available close to me. I order parts through websites and my local club. Besides i dont think i even have the knowledge or the tools to reverse engineer an engine. Besides buying the material to make the engine, would probably end up being just as expensive in the end as buying a new engine. :)

My phone is a SonyEricsson P990i. I bought it less then a year ago, works fine for me even though it has its problems.  :)
Patrik S.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA