MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Best Model ever  (Read 11328 times)

Offline noelrn

• Recruit
Best Model ever
« on: November 07, 2005, 07:52:24 AM »
 :-\ Hi just curious as to what you think is the best model Aircrft ever built. Include scale,aircraft,etc

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Best Model ever
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 08:41:05 PM »
Best model kit.... no idea, I think I have too little experience. Maybe you can scale it down to the best kit builder (e.g. Tamiya, Revell, Italeri)? Or to a particular aircraft?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tache3

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 08:34:30 PM »
Yep, I'd be interested to know what the experienced modellers think is the best quality kit manufacturer. I recently returned to the world of modelling after a break of around 25 years...! Tried the Revell MIG 25 and found the moulding and fit of the pieces to be appalling. The whole experience was a bit frustrating really. Also, some opinions on paints would be useful (acrylic vs enamel etc) as the quality of the Revell paints seemed very variable, some were too thin to be of any use while others were so thick you could have put them with a spatula.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 11:49:34 AM »
From my limited experience I can tell you this:

The quality of the fit of the pieces varies not specifically between brands, but between models.

All the Monogram/Revell kits I have seen or built, lacked details. Also some parts are too 'fat' and models too big maybe. Sometimes it takes a small saw to detach the parts from its frame. Normally they fit okay though. I hate the 'silver' plastics though.
All the Italeri kits I have seen or built, are more detailed, but often wrong details (random even). I think Italeri has lighter parts compared to Revell which is great if they fit. If not you have a problem.
Tamiya, I'd say one of the best around, but their limited selection of aircraft kits are mostly more expensive.
Heller, my limited experience with this brand has been disappointing. I liked the way the plastic 'feels' though.

Still there are some other brands I have not mentioned, because I had little or no experience with them.

Regarding paint, for enamel paints I think Humbrol is the best. Revell paints are mostly too thick. Although I've been using mostly enamel in the past, I have bought a lot of acrylic before I ceased my modelling activities, because they are better for airbrush.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 11:52:16 AM »
By the way, welcome to the MILAVIA forum! Hopefully, we'll get some more modellers on board in the near future.

Feel free to showcase your work in a new topic.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline noelrn

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 09:56:16 PM »
Ive just got my hands on the Academy 1/32 F-18C (OIF). Its mind blowing in detail. Got straight in touch with the local Model Shop and ordered the F-18D. Always believed Tamiya and Hasagawa were the best for detail. But Academy have really come on leaps and bounds with these kits

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 12:36:59 AM »
Wow, so you've got two 1/32 Hornets soon. Cool! Any plans on paint schemes/markings or detailled upgrade sets?

(If you have a digital camera, feel free to share some 'construction' pics on the forum when you are building it. And of course, the final result!  ;)
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Zeke

• Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 01:31:41 PM »
Good morning everyone.
It's been a while since I've managed to get myself back on here but here I am... :)

Anyway, to give my two penneth worth for this question.

For me, the quality question would have been easy to answer not so long ago with Tamiya being easily the finest producer, probably followed by Hasegawa. However, over the last few years Tamiya have continued to produce tremendous kits but not many of them. Of the recent releases the P-47 family in 1:48 are some of the finest kit moulds out there. (I would really love to see how the moulds themselves are made because the deatail and fit work is astonishing).

The other manufacturers have undoubtedly closed the gap, with the likes of Trumpeter and Revell showing huge improvements. Of the European manufacturers Revell is undoubtedly the best, especially with the more modern releases, but Eduard are producing some superb kits.

A lot of the likes and dislikes that people feel for any particular make are going out the window now as the new moulds take hold of the market and they stop prodcing some of the older kits in their line-ups. It also comes down to the individual and what they expect from the kit and what they like doing. Some will always enjoy the filling and blending whilst others would look for an easier ride with a better fitting kit to start with.

tache3 mentioned the Revell MiG-25 and he couldn't have picked a worse choice to come back into this hobby with; the moulds are about 30 years old and it's a dreadful thing. Try one of their newer kits and you'll be just fine. Many of the Revell kits are re-issues of Hasegawa moulds so they're pretty good for not too much money.

As for the enamel/acrylic argument? Don't be fooled by the saftey aspect of this because if you use and airbrush then the droplets in the air will be toxic no matter which type you use. The Organic solvent and pigments used in the making of acrylics are nearly as bad as the stuff used in enamels. The cleaning aspect is where the real safety gains are made as you need to use some pretty unpleasant chemicals to effectively clean the airbrush with enamels.
I use a combination of both, but for delicate work i will always chose an enamel over an acrylic because the enamel will spray more evenly and dry out and clogg the airbrush far far less than an acrylic. My personal favourite paint is White Ensign enamels...just gorgeous.

Ok that was a bit of a rant but hopefully you get a better picture...and if your wondering just who the hell am I to be spouting off like this? well I write modelling articles for both ADH  Publications (Model Airplane International) and SAMPublications (Scale Aviation Modellers International.)... ::) ;D
Do not despise the snake for having no horns. for who is to say it will not become a Dragon?
}:)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 03:39:50 PM »
Try one of their newer kits and you'll be just fine. Many of the Revell kits are re-issues of Hasegawa moulds so they're pretty good for not too much money.

That's a good tip. Will keep that mind with future purchases, if any.

By the way, welcome back Zeke  ;D
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Zeke

• Pilot
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 04:14:15 PM »
Thank you Webmaster sir. I've finally got back on the net at work so I shall be a regular customer once again.
It's a pleasure to be back... ;D
Do not despise the snake for having no horns. for who is to say it will not become a Dragon?
}:)

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA