MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Shall i try to sell?  (Read 6960 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Shall i try to sell?
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »
Ok, guys. I need some help here.

I´ve been thinking of selling my RC-Viggen, scale 1/10. Looking around the net, i noticed that blue prints of my Viggen comes in three scales. 1/8, 1/9 and 1/10. Now these copies of the original blue prints are sold for, few ex: New Zeeland=1/8-800 Euro, Denmark, 1/8-1020 USD, Great Brittain=1/9-1000 Euro.

I dont want to reveal the name of the creator of these and mine blue prints, just in case the buyer searches the net on the name and this post surfaces. This is considered to be the best blue print on the market if you want to build an Viggen, all made by one Swedish man.

Im fortunate enough to have the original blue prints of the biggest scale and also the model.
I really have more use of a new camera then my Viggen model. The reason why this surfaced is because i might have a potential buyer and i have no idea of how much i should sell the complete package for? (In case i decide i can handel the pain of selling it, and if he makes an offer).

What do you all think and how much would you sell something like this for?
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
Re: Shall i try to sell?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »
Bit of a hard one Vig, as it is difficult to compare with others for sale that have engines and radio control equipment and are in flying condition.
I can get you the email address of the biggest radio control aircraft club here and you could ask the officials if you want?

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »
Bit of a hard one Vig, as it is difficult to compare with others for sale that have engines and radio control equipment and are in flying condition.
I can get you the email address of the biggest radio control aircraft club here and you could ask the officials if you want?

True, but an RC-model in this size, fully functional with all the necessary equipment is something we normal people cant afford to buy. Even as second hand. It is a very expensive hobby once you take the step into the "jetage" so to speak. Reason why my project is standing still and why i kind of got a bit bored with the Viggen. I know that i wont afford to get this baby to fly unless i win on the lottery.

No need to get me the address, im a member at our local club and at an RC-forum. So i can always ask around there also. But i just trust you guys more and i have always gotten honest responses on every question i have asked around here.  :)

Think of it this way, what if you owned your favourite aircraft in the same scale/same condtition and was in the same economical crisis. What would you do?  :)
Patrik S.

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 10:57:57 PM »
Sell it at a price you are happy with and that is what you now have to find out.
As I said, try the clubs. I guess Australia is a bit radical with the cost of postage and all, but think of all the clubs in Europe to sell it to. Must be uncountable.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:47:45 PM »
I hope you realize that you will regret it for the rest of your life. I think it's better to just save up for the camera until next summer (they aren't that expensive...) and keep the Viggen as long as you've got a place to store it. You have to have something to do when you retire  ;)

Don't you think it's better to say you won't sell it unless for a very good sum of money, and then see what he is prepared to pay? You know the blue print value, you know what these models sell for when completed, and you know what the missing parts will cost. So, I think if you do a little math and maybe add like 10%, you can better arrive at some number than us, which you can then use to judge his offer.

But aviator is right, if you're selling anyway, how about putting it on ebay with that calculated minimum price. You only have to pay a small fee, at minimum you'll pay the fee, or get that price you want, if you're lucky you get more. Shipping is a bit of trouble, find out what it will cost in advance and let the buyer pay for that as well, incl. insurance of course.

People on the internet may be looking for it and thus want it. People at clubs probably want to bargain....

Just my two cents!
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
Thank you guys.

Like i said earlier. Here i can always count on getting an honest answer. You both have shared your minds, and i see your points.

I dont want to sell it fast just so i can afford a camera and then thats it. Im too attached to my Viggen for that. I payed only 79 Euro for the whole package and have spent around 130 Euros on it so far. I belive i will keep the model unless i get an offer i cant refuse. (Then he have to pay "mucho dineros" for the Viggen and the blue prints.)  ;D
Patrik S.

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:28:59 PM »
I agree with Webby. I have regretted selling many things in the past and it will almost always cost you more to replace it in the future than what you could sell it for now. I say keep it if you can, you'll be glad you did when life slows down and you're looking for stuff to do.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA