MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Russia resumes Su-24 flights in Far East - Air Force  (Read 4947 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Russia resumes Su-24 flights in Far East - Air Force
« on: September 20, 2007, 03:46:19 AM »
It's good to see that Russia resumes Su-24 flights in Far East - Air Force, it's one of my favorite aircraft of all time.  With todays modern stand-off weapons this fine aircraft can still carry out many missions for Russia's air force until Su-34 take over.   An Su-24 Fencer crashed August 23 about 115 kilometers (70 miles) southeast of the Khurba airfield, in the Khabarovsk Territory, but both pilots successfully ejected.

Full story
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070914/78761989.html

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
Re: Russia resumes Su-24 flights in Far East - Air Force
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:29:35 AM »
Yeah, why not! The F-111s are making their final flights, one by one. Might as well go for an aircraft still operational that resembles an F-111.  8)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Russia resumes Su-24 flights in Far East - Air Force
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 03:56:54 AM »
Hi RecceJet
I don't just like the Su-24 because they resembles an F-111there a solid attack aircraft with a long history.   Not as advance I think  overall compared to a F-111on most levels but still a good bomb hauler.   Good range and decent payload and with some upgrades this aircraft could be around for years.   I don't think Russia producing the Su-34 in numbers yet and most likely won't anytime soon so this aircraft still has many missions left.   I'm not sure about it's maintenance history maybe if somebody knows they could add that I would like to know.   I assume Russia has some form of bone yards where parts could be taken from grounded frames and squadrons could be maintain.   I can see these little strikers stationed near China's border in a reserve state for many years to come. I wonder how many squadrons were within striking range of England during the height of the cold war?   I can just see these aircraft bursting through NATO's strained fighters lines loaded with LGB,anti-radar missiles, or anti-ship missiles causing havoc. 

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA