MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Morocco - F-16C/D Block 50/52 Aircraft  (Read 6186 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Morocco - F-16C/D Block 50/52 Aircraft
« on: December 23, 2007, 03:06:29 AM »
Morocco - F-16C/D Block 50/52 Aircraft
Defense Security Cooperation Agency
NEWS RELEASE
WASHINGTON, December 18, 2007 – The Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress of a possible Foreign Military Sale to Morocco of F-16C/D Block 50/52 aircraft as well as associated equipment and services. The total value, if all options are exercised, could be as high as $2.4 billion.
The Government of Morocco has requested a possible sale of:
Major Defense Equipment (MDE)
24 F-16C/D Block 50/52 aircraft with either the F100-PW-229 or
F110-GE-129 Increased Performance Engines (IPE) and APG-68(V)9 radars;
5 F100-PW-229 or F110-GE-129 IPE spare engines;
4 APG-68(V)9 spare radar sets;
30 AN/ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispensing Systems (CMDS)
30 AN/ALR-56M Radar Warning Receivers (RWR)
60 LAU-129/A Launchers;
30 LAU-117 Launchers;
6 Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing Systems;
4 AN/ARC-238 Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System (SINCGAR)
radios with HAVE QUICK I/II;
24 Conformal Fuel Tanks (pairs);
4 Link-16 Multifunctional Information Distribution System-Low Volume
Terminals;
2 Link-16 Ground Stations;
4 Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Embedded GPS/ Inertial Navigation
Systems (INS);
12 AN/AAQ-33 SNIPER Targeting Pods or AN/AAQ-28 LITENING Targeting
Pods
5 Tactical Air Reconnaissance Systems (TARS) or DB-110 Reconnaissance Pods
(RECCE);
4 AN/APX-113 Advanced Identification Friend or Foe (AIFF) Systems;
28 AN/ALQ-211 Advanced Integrated Defensive Electronic Warfare Suites
(AIDEWS); or 28 AN/ALQ-187 Advanced Self-Protection Integrated Suites
(ASPIS II); or 28 AN/ALQ-178 Self Protection Electronic Warfare Suites
(SPEWS)
1 Unit Level Trainer

Link to story
http://www.dsca.mil/PressReleases/36-b/2007/Morocco_08-20.pdf

* The US also nailed down a trainer order to from Morocco for another $200 million, one stop shopping.

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
Re: Morocco - F-16C/D Block 50/52 Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:33:57 AM »
Either Morroco is a good allie to the US or the LM lobby tries to find some more orders for the Pan cake selling F-16....

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 01:10:16 AM »
I thought Morocco to be one of the only remaining and the most likely export customer for the Rafale. If this deal is finalised, then t's up to Brazil I guess... can't think of others.

The proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security objectives of the United States by enhancing Morocco’s capacity to support U.S. efforts in the Global War on Terrorism (GWOT), as well as supporting Morocco’s legitimate need for its own self-defense. Morocco is one of the most stable and pro-Western of the Arab states, and the U.S. remains committed to a long-term relationship with Morocco. The proposed sale will allow the Moroccan Air Force to modernize its aging fighter inventory, thereby enabling Morocco to support both its own air defense needs and coalition operations. Morocco is a Major Non-NATO ally. Delivery of this weapon system will greatly enhance Morocco’s interoperability with the U.S. and other NATO nations, making it a more valuable partner in an increasingly important area of the world. The country will have no difficulty absorbing this new capability into its armed forces.

I guess that answers your question. But I think we won't see these jets doing any deployments, I reckon Morocco does a lot more coalition stuff that doesn't require F-16s but is vital to the GWOT (man, yet another stupid acronym). Pfff, increasingly important area of the world, that it is an Arab nations doesn't mean it's anywhere near the Middle East. If Morocco is an "increasingly important area", what isn't?

Anyway, it's just a notification, no contract yet.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 01:29:38 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:03:53 AM »
There is always the Greek market, available for Rafale. In fact, with over 120 F-16 + 50+ Mirage 2000, we are a strong market. Every 10 years we are buying around 40 machines, and Rafale is still astrong candidate....

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:45:20 PM »
But in 10 years, Greece and many others will have access to off-the-shelf F-35 JSF. Unless the Greece-Turkey situation flares up (I hope not), I can't see Greece buying a new type until then...? I'd love to see either Typhoon or Rafale in Aegean blues!

By the way, interesting that Morocco requested CFTs for all the F-16s.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 09:35:25 AM »
The Greek Turk situation will go on for one reason. Both nation live with the threat of the other in mind, and this keeps some wheels turning. Many things in both countries are based on this hostility. Many "clever" guys are eating from this situation. I can't imagine LM (F-16), Thyssen (type 209), Kraus Maffei (leopard), Blohm Voss (MEKO), Dassault (mirage 2000) would see any other situation with a good will...

Holland is a much more wealthier country, like Belgium like denmark and still we have stronger airforce than the 3 countries combined!!!!! Amazing how we love the war in this country...........

Back to the topic. History shows that only when you have power, your neighbors are respecting you, so, i'd like to see my self some Rafales/EF-2000 over Aegean, i wouldn't like to see the Fighter Bomber F-35, which i consider it a better bomber but a worst air superiority fighter, and air superiority is what we need.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »
valkyrian
which i consider it a better bomber but a worst air superiority fighter,

My friend it will do very in air to air as well you can't target something you can't see or get a lock on.  It might not be able to turn and burn with a Typhoon but from 20 miles out it will kill you just the same.  A little closer and a 9X will be heading toward the target modern missiles clover that distance quickly. 

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:48:04 PM »
Well, if that stealthiness works as it is advertised, i agree. At least in the RCS perspective, that is i will accept that no radar homing missile will be able to lock on the F-35, so you have to kill it from WVR.

On the other hand, if the "unlockable" F-35 wants to use the radar, it will betray both its presence and its direction (provided the enemy has a sophisticated RWR like the one on the F-22, which i think the EF or the RAFALE will have in the near future). There is always the laser, (like those Russian MiG29 Su-27 use for gun firing) and infra red seekers. And you can't easily jam infra red seekers. So there is always a strong possibility of WVR combat. At least in the Aegean region where distances are very short, and the combat planes numerous, BVR engagement is very dangerous in that you can kill your own planes. So WVR is most likely to occur. And IRIS T looks at least as good as the AIM-9X.

You can't just base your tactics on stealthiness, otherwise u could have 3 B-2 full of AMRAAMS or Phoenix, loitering somewhere, and since they are very invisible, could shoot all day long from safe distances. But such Battle Star aircraft doesn't exist....(untill i design one ;D)

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA