MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Aircraft Accidents  (Read 4789 times)

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
Aircraft Accidents
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
What happens to a pilot whos involved in an accident and the final report comes back pilot error?  I know everyones human but an aircraft cost a million plus.  I also know these individuals are the best of the best.  I'm curious how the system works.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Aircraft Accidents
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:20:50 PM »
I never served but assume promotions are slowed down or stopped and I guess it's possible to be thrown out.  If it was a careless choice and not just an accident and life's were lost maybe jail time?  Maybe somebody who served or knows can better explain the process but I think I'm in the ballpark.   

Offline MightyHunter

• Flight Leader
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »
Thats a good question , I will endevour to find an answer for you as im thinking if I have known any in the past.

We have had a lot of aircraft damaged in flight and most of all on landing and its been pilot error but they get slap on wrist , told they done wrong and return to flight. We had a woman once who in 1 week heavy landed a Nimrod twice , I think she was taken off flying duties

We called her Ostrich , fat bird that could not fly hehehe

I will try and find out though

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 07:58:24 AM »
Seems to me if the pilot stuffs up, its a fault in his/her training... and who trains them? The ones that give them a slap on the wrist. They should go slap their own wrists, those dirty wrist slappers  :D

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 01:36:11 AM »
Great replies.  Thank you for trying to find out what happens.  I agree training is the key to preventing a accident!  It would be interesting to see if they keep track of who trains who.  From there see how the pilots from each trainer turned out.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA