MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Attack Helicopters  (Read 15792 times)

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: Attack Helicopters
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 02:35:20 AM »
Theres some good shots of the Commanche on an episode of American Chopper, they build the Commanche bike for someone, if you interested

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 06:41:01 AM »
Did they now? Thats interesting.........

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 08:59:28 AM »
yeah, they got .50 caliber machine/rifle bullets, drilled them and used them as little missiles on something on the bike, it was kinda weird  :-\

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 12:31:36 AM »
well no one ever said they were rocket scientists.............. ;D

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 03:14:56 AM »
Back to the A-10/OA-10 Thunderbolt II and it designed for close air support of ground forces.  I read in the future they want to replace it with JSF.  The JSF will not have the GAU-8 30mm Avenger seven-barrel gatling gun or provide the crew with the titanium armor that protects both the pilot and critical areas of the flight control system.  Don't you think the war in Irag and Afghanistan will cause the military to rethink its stratagy, and keep this aircraft or redesign one just for close air support of ground forces?

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 05:20:13 AM »
The A-10 will be on the scene for some time, its just been upgraded and it still works like a charm. When they replace it will the JSF, it will just have to drop bombs and that type of thing, I don't see them using a 20mm cannon on a tank, but maybe is a 20mm laser cannon.....................(yes I am joking..............).............

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 06:58:17 AM »
Cool!  One engine, no armor protection yes I agree they will need that 20mm laser Cannon.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 03:14:57 AM »
Your right it won't have the GAU-8 30mm Avenger seven-barrel gatling gun or provide the crew with the titanium armor that protects both the pilot and critical areas of the flight control system, but will have a lot more useful and modern equipment and systems that the great A-10 won't.  In the years to come there will be a host of new and nasty weapons designed to come out of a F-35 bay for destroying similar targets.  I'm not saying the A-10 will be totally gone from the battle field anytime soon there are still areas/hot spots where there be effective for sure.  But as weapons gets more modern light Manpads and other light weight weapons fielded by ground troops will make A-10s and basically all helicopters a dangerous platform to operate.   The extra hight and speed does help and give the pilot more chance to spot or detect the danger and get out of the threat area or range.   

Offline God Bless USA

• Flight Leader
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »
I agree the A-10 and helicopters are very vulnerable to ground to air weapons due to there slow speed.  They do need a replacement, designed for todays battlefield.  Two thing concern me with the F-35 as a replacement.  First I think they need a aircraft with two engines.  If one engine is hit the aircrew can either make it back to base.  If they can't maybe they can get far away enough from the enemy to be pick up safely after they parachute out.  Second the GAU-8 30mm Avenger seven-barrel gatling gun has proven to be an effective weapon.  They tried this weapon on the F-16 and it did not work.  The airframe could not handle the recoil.  The F-35's airframe will not be able to handle it either.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »
I can't argue the A-10 is designed pretty well for what it does.  No fast mover could take the hits the A-10 does that's for sure and the separated engines with armor protection is the best.  I guess no matter how the USAF cuts it the F-35 can only carry out some of the A-10 current functions.   

Offline Mike_NZ

• Pilot
  • Kiwis CAN fly!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 06:11:37 AM »
I voted for the Comanche, but yes, it has been canceled and the money has gone towards upgrading other US Army hardware. But, for my money, the best attack helo in the world atm is the Israeli AH-64. Israel have brought something good from the US and 'perfected' it.
Kiwis CAN fly!

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »
I voted for the Comanche, but yes, it has been canceled and the money has gone towards upgrading other US Army hardware. But, for my money, the best attack helo in the world atm is the Israeli AH-64. Israel have brought something good from the US and 'perfected' it.

What changes did they make?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA