MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Good Eurofighter Typhoon site and information  (Read 12222 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Good Eurofighter Typhoon site and information
« on: December 19, 2007, 07:59:55 PM »
Packed with information covering everything about Eurofighter Typhoon.
http://www.eurofighter.com
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 09:30:50 PM by Webmaster »

Offline Mike_NZ

• Pilot
  • Kiwis CAN fly!
Re: Good Eurofighter Typhoon site and information
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:31:05 AM »
Didn't want to start a new topic, but got some questions about the Eurofighter:

1. What is that vent thing on the left side of the aircraft, on the fuselage upper surface at the wing root? It's always pouring out some black grease/soot? Anyone have any idea what it is?

2. And does anyone have any videos/info on the eurofighter's performance at the 2006 or 2008 Farnborough airshow? Really interested in how it performed with a full load of A2G weapons + missiles.

thanks!
Kiwis CAN fly!

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:44:16 PM »
I guess it is a heat exchanger or something like that.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 01:59:54 AM »
1) APU exhaust. Gripen has it more towards the back, also gets dirty. Rafale just behind the tail fin root, not so dirty. And F-22 also port side, about same position as the Typhoon, only because of the high wing, it doesn't hit the aircraft so much. F-35s (or at least the prototypes) have it on the starboard side nacelle, between the intake and the wing, which also makes the entire starboard dirty.

2) I guess the Paveway's would impose a G limit lower than the aircraft's?. I don't know about airshow performances, but results from the IOC test flight of the Block 5, were very positive with regard to handling the heavy loads. And they went to Nevada this year for a CAS exercise and flew with 6x 1,000lb Paveway II, Litening III pod, and ACMI pod. Not live firing, but to pass "multi-role operational employment declaration". So why would they stick 6 dummies under it then, if the aircraft would not handle it? Even with real AAMs, it's still not the heaviest load we've seen on jets. I'm wondering about tanks + bombs, would that mean max 4 bombs with 2 tanks?

Heat exchangers don't shoot out smoke, they only change colour themselves. Only on the Tornado the heat exchanger gets very dirty, but that's because of the thrust reversers, which paint the whole tail black :P
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:03:11 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Mike_NZ

• Pilot
  • Kiwis CAN fly!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 02:50:26 AM »
1) APU exhaust. Gripen has it more towards the back, also gets dirty. Rafale just behind the tail fin root, not so dirty. And F-22 also port side, about same position as the Typhoon, only because of the high wing, it doesn't hit the aircraft so much. F-35s (or at least the prototypes) have it on the starboard side nacelle, between the intake and the wing, which also makes the entire starboard dirty.

2) I guess the Paveway's would impose a G limit lower than the aircraft's?. I don't know about airshow performances, but results from the IOC test flight of the Block 5, were very positive with regard to handling the heavy loads. And they went to Nevada this year for a CAS exercise and flew with 6x 1,000lb Paveway II, Litening III pod, and ACMI pod. Not live firing, but to pass "multi-role operational employment declaration". So why would they stick 6 dummies under it then, if the aircraft would not handle it? Even with real AAMs, it's still not the heaviest load we've seen on jets. I'm wondering about tanks + bombs, would that mean max 4 bombs with 2 tanks?

Heat exchangers don't shoot out smoke, they only change colour themselves. Only on the Tornado the heat exchanger gets very dirty, but that's because of the thrust reversers, which paint the whole tail black :P

Thanks Webmaster, one of the mysteries solved for me!! ;D
Kiwis CAN fly!

Offline ALEX67

• Pilot

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 09:15:13 PM »
Great shot!
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF