MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Rafale & Eurofighter Typhoon  (Read 12976 times)

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: Rafale & Eurofighter Typhoon
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 04:11:36 AM »
Australia is still on track with the JSF

personally i think it'll be a waste of money

Valiant1

Re: Rafale & Eurofighter Typhoon
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 06:53:06 AM »
Well, in my opinion, objectively speaking of course, I believe the Typhoon is in a better position marketwise.  I'm not familiar w/the statistics of each aircraft but from what I've read, it seems as if the Typhoon has more to offer as a fighter and ground support/attack, with its incredible power and supermaneuverability (I didn't even know the Typhoon has thrust vectoring) and its payload, depending on what the mission specifies.  Probably the only area the Rafale has an advantage is its naval version, whereas the Typhoon (and correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't have a naval version, probably because it's too big for the small Brit carriers.

To answer Webmaster on the possibility of the Netherlands having an assembly line to build JSF's, I heard of an incident a few months ago about the US not releasing some sensitive info on the JSF to the Brits, which, to say the least, has upset them.  I'm not sure of the details but maybe one of you guys know.  I think that may be a problem for the Dutch as far as building the JSF in their factories.

I can see that Gripen is strongly against the JSF, I respect that.  Maybe it's a political more than a military decision; I can't say.  Just as Viggen has told me on another segment concerning the Gripen for Sweden, it is the right airplane for the country and meets the specific requirements that it is intended for (something to this effect).  So what I'm trying to say is that Australia is probably looking at the JSF because it meets, if not all, most of the requirements the Australian military needs. Again, I can' t say -this is just a comment.  Why the Australians didn't pick the Gripen, the Typhoon or even the Flanker, I have no idea.

For me personally,  for the price of one Raptor, I would have gone into the program with the Typhoon and saved money.  I feel the Typhoon to be an extremely capable aircraft - both in the air superiority and attack role, plus I would have extra change to buy a Gripen.  I love the Raptor, but not for $100 million or more per copy.  I think if the US Navy, Marines and Air Force bought the Typhoon and Gripen to supplement our current force we would more than double our strength in air power.  Those 2 planes would meet many of the requirements at a "down to earth" cost compared to the Raptor.

By the way, does anyone know how to insert a flag that represents the country you're from - I can't seem to find it?

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA