MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Russian Air Force to receive six upgraded Su-24 bombers  (Read 5088 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Russian Air Force to receive six upgraded Su-24 bombers
« on: November 22, 2007, 04:09:30 AM »
This is a tease does anybody have more information on what the upgrades are? 

Russian Air Force to receive six upgraded Su-24 bombers

21/11/2007 19:05 MOSCOW, November 21 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's Air Force is to get six upgraded Su-24 Fencer frontline bombers with another six set for upgrade, an Air Force spokesman said on Wednesday.   "In the near future military pilots will fly the six upgraded Su-24 bombers from the Novosibirsk [Siberia] air plant to the base airfield," said Alexander Drobyshevsky.
He also said a second batch of six Sukhoi Su-24M bombers would soon reach the plant for modernization.

Link
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20071121/88991044.html

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
Re: Russian Air Force to receive six upgraded Su-24 bombers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 10:52:55 PM »
cool! I love the plane, and it's good to see it's "back" :D
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 03:30:52 AM »
One of my favorite as well I truly believe this aircraft can be upgraded to modern levels and be a functional low cost striker.   Large area for any radar, good range, descent payload, built in large numbers, good speed as well.   Just the maintenance of the older engines and swept wing root a little difficult to deal with.    I can see this aircraft fifteen, twenty miles away the target  launching standoff weapons and being a useful aircraft for Russia's air force.    Retiring when full productions starts for the   Su-34s.   

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 04:25:22 AM »
What I know, and have known for years, but maybe it changed a bit now from this:
The weapons system has been upgraded with better computer and radar processing unit for greater accuracy and range. GPS navigation. Better MFD replacing old monochrome CRT. New HUD. Automated ground mission preparation and control system. Integration precision-guided weapons, and R-73 added for self defence. And of course airframe life extension work. First upgraded examples were state tested back in 2003-2004. Algerian Su-24MKs have been/are being upgraded to similar standard.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA