MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Eurofighter to cost several more billion euros: report  (Read 4801 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Eurofighter to cost several more billion euros: report
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:55:46 PM »
Eurofighter to cost several more billion euros: report
BERLIN (AFP) — The bill for the Eurofighter combat jets developed by a consortium of four European countries is going to cost over 10 billion euros more than expected, the German magazine Focus has reported.

For the countries involved in developing the Eurofighter, Britain will have to spend an additional 5.8 billion euros (8.2 billion dollars), Italy 2.16 billion, Germany 1.97 billion and Spain 820 million, the weekly reported in its edition to appear Monday.

Focus cited a letter from Eurofighter-GmbH, the German branch of the consortium, addressed to Germany's defence ministry.

"Other clients" for the Eurofighter will also have to pay more, the magazine said.

The cost of developing the military jet has increased due to certain "systems" and other modernisation, Focus said.

Partners in the consortium divided work on the plane in 1998 according to the number of aircraft each country planned to buy, with a total of 620 orders booked in three stages through to 2017.

The Eurofighter is a multi-purpose combat jet which has also been ordered by Saudi Arabia and Austria.

It was developed by a European consortium comprised of the aerospace group EADS, BAE Systems of Britain and the Italian group Alenia/Finmeccanica.

LINK
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i0efjCmxcij61ok7v5hsI3B4C3tw

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Eurofighter to cost several more billion euros: report
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 02:04:32 AM »
First of all, what's the reputation of this magazine Focus? This is clearly leaked info, and could be ripped out of context.

In addition to what has been spent so far? Or in addition to what was planned to be spent? Development or total cost?

Secondly, over what period? Are we talking Tranche 3 development only here? Or Tranche 3 orders? Ex/Including fleet upgrades? Or even longer sustained development to keep them up to date?

If true, what are the systems and modifications? I am curious, I guess it will take some time before we find out, probably we'll find out when these systems/modifications are cancelled by Germany/Italy/Spain.

I suppose this is about the Tranche 3 version with all the goodies, possibly including upgrade of all previous version to this status? Could mean that at last AESA will be incorporated? I can't imagine the self defense suite and HMS going that much overbudget?

Is it me or is this report not clear at all?
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Eurofighter to cost several more billion euros: report
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:40:00 AM »
It doesn't seem clear and usually the English are very open with information like this, its gets them all up in a huff.  I think information will follow soon on any past and future cost overruns and that this is only the beginning.  I think it's interesting that this came out after landing the Saudi deal.  Imagine where Eurofighter would be right if they didn't land that deal?   I wonder if Germany/Italy/Spain, will have to cut more future orders?   It might explain why a few doors have been closed for the Eurofighter lately maybe the future buyers are waiting for the price shock to settle?  And with the 5th generation aircraft market about to really begin in a few years 2008 and 2009 are huge for the Eurofighter and Rafale for signed deals to take place.  Deliveries to follow in three to four years with ASEA radar's of course. 

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA