MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: F-111  (Read 44826 times)

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
Re: F-111
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 10:44:47 PM »
Huh? have you ever heard of F-18E and F-18F Super Hornets?

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 06:20:44 AM »
Yea, but the Hornet design is old. you cant just stick some new bits into an old plane and say its brand new

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2007, 06:52:23 AM »
Put the two airframes alongside each other and you will see that in size alone there is a big difference. The Super Hornet isn't simply a modified Hornet with altered intakes and a convex Leading Edge Extension.

Personally I'd rather see the Pigs replaced with Raptors instead of having a couple of dozen Super Bugs fill a gap as an interim measure. Why not retain a capability on a more permanent basis and go one step further by acquiring the Raptor? By the time the F/A-18F comes into service I think it's possible neighbouring Sukhois will be able to give the Super Bugs a run for their money.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 07:38:02 AM »
One word to solve all problems:

GRIPEN :)

(the plane..not my name)

Valiant1

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 05:39:08 AM »
The F-18 E/F Super Hornet is roughly 1/3 larger than the C/D models.  The only thing I can't stand about any of the Hornet models is the so-so thrust of the engines.  What the Super Hornet needs engines just like the Tomcat's General Electric F110 engines that produce 27,000 lbs of thrust each.  That's a total of 10,000 lbs of thrust MORE than the Super Bug's F414 engines.  That would put the Super Bug past the Mach 2 Class Category, not to mention give the Bug a significant boost in a dogfight.

For once, Gripen and I agree on something - Australia could use the Gripen.

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 01:58:17 PM »
The F-18 E/F Super Hornet is roughly 1/3 larger than the C/D models.  The only thing I can't stand about any of the Hornet models is the so-so thrust of the engines.  What the Super Hornet needs engines just like the Tomcat's General Electric F110 engines that produce 27,000 lbs of thrust each.  That's a total of 10,000 lbs of thrust MORE than the Super Bug's F414 engines.  That would put the Super Bug past the Mach 2 Class Category, not to mention give the Bug a significant boost in a dogfight.

For once, Gripen and I agree on something - Australia could use the Gripen.

I agree there are airframes other than the F/A-18F that are better for Australia. It is unfortunate that politics has such a strong influence on defence procurements.

I'd be curious to see what the Australia could do with a few Su-35s if they had the funding fit them out with avionics and weapon systems used by the RAAF. If they can keep the Pigs up even this far into their lifespan, how much more could they do with a more modern airframe. I think a Flanker would be an aesthetically pleasing replacement for the Pig, with a nice range and speed too.

Valiant1

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »
I may have to agree w/you on that one.  I'm an American and I don't even like the Hornet for the reason I gave.  I would like to see what the Australian Air Force could do w/Flankers.  It would be nice if the U.S. had allies flying them; it would also give us the opportunity to see what they're really capable of.

Remember when the Soviet pilot defected w/his Mig-25 to Japan?  The Foxbat was a highly feared flying interceptor, But after careful inspection, it wasn't what the West thought it was.

The Flankers are nice, but like the Eagle, the airframe is getting there in age.  The Gripen would be a much better alternative, I feel. Heck, I would buy them for the USAF!!!

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2007, 04:57:25 AM »
Yes but isnt in the US constitution or something that the weapons used in the US military must be American made?

Offline Joopey

• Pilot
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2007, 11:23:54 AM »
Yes but isnt in the US constitution or something that the weapons used in the US military must be American made?

No idea if its in the constitution or not but there are plenty of examples of foreign weapons in American service. For instance: BAe T-45 Goshawk, BAe AV-8A Harrier and the Kongsberg AGM-119 Penguin. It might have something to do with the actual production of the weapon. Often the licence is acquired by an American company and the production is done in the States.

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 12:43:46 PM »
C-27 Spartan  -  European origin
http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c27.asp
AGM-142 Have Nap  -  Israeli origin
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/agm-142.htm

Just to name a couple
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:45:21 AM by RecceJet »

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007, 02:14:22 AM »
YTes, but the BAE harrier is different to the one that the USMC uses

Isralie ORIGIN

The Spartan is modified from the G222 airframe

see? you change it all so its differnet

Offline Joopey

• Pilot
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2007, 06:32:19 PM »
YTes, but the BAE harrier is different to the one that the USMC uses

The first American Harrier (the AV-8A) was an exact copy!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA