MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: F-14 Tomcat farewell..........  (Read 26511 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: F-14 Tomcat farewell..........
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 11:57:56 PM »
First post here and I would like to thank the webmaster for the excellent job he does by maintaining this site.

However, it's a sad thing to see relatively few people being members to it.

Hello, and welcome to the MILAVIA forum. Thank you for your kind comments. Your observation is true, I guess I do something wrong. But also consider that the forum (launched in April 2005) hasn't been around as long as some others.

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 04:26:39 PM »
To the subject of the IRIAF Tomcats now..

Now I'm confeused. Which is right IIAF or IRIAF? Up untill now I tought it was called IIAF(Imperial Iranian Air Force), but there's also info on the net about IRIAF. SO which of them is the right one?  ???

Anyway Webmaster, you ought to think about how to market your website better. It is good, but no one really knows about it I think  :-\
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline corso

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 08:31:04 PM »
IIAF stands for Imperial Iranian Air Force and is defunct since 1979 when the Shah fled the country, which in tutrn led to the establishment of the Islamic republic of Iran.
So the IIAF became the IRIAF which stands for Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force. Thereafter it is the only name being used for the Iranian air force. As a footnote, in the early stages of the Iran-Iraq war , some Iranian fighter-jets went to war still wearing the IIAF titles, such was the urgency to commit them into combat.

Offline lalanuni

• Pilot
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 05:32:28 PM »
So wat would happened to Iran's tomcats if being attacked by US possibly? I  dont wish to see them fight each other...no! :'(

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 10:50:37 PM »
They'll probably be bombed while in their shelters...or remain at some place until discovered by invading forces. Anyway, the USA can't have another war on their hands any time soon, so don't worry about it.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline lalanuni

• Pilot
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 12:51:56 AM »
That's wat i believe so, none of them will be bombed! peace..... :-X

Offline aircop38

• Pilot
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 11:55:37 AM »
The Iranian Tomcats are sitting and collecting dust-heard a rumor that they tried to get euro and russian techs to monkey around with them and get them flight worthy a while back-but FAILED.hopefully we'll get Dub'ya out of office ,and redirect our "war on terrorism" strategy-I sincerely wish we had of confronted  rogue nations like Iran and N.Korean ,as they will continue to be a thorn in the side of "polite" world gov'ts.As for the U.S. inventory- the Bone yard in AZ-sad becuase i think that airframe should have con't to be produced and made serviceable/upgraded- it was a "better" dogfighter than the F-15, can carry more payload than the Super hornet, had a longer range missile, and good range......

Offline Tomcatboy48237

• Pilot
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 01:49:53 AM »
The Tomcats are not just "collecting dust".  ::)

Since US planes have been flying over Iraq, they have detected numerous Tomcat flights inside Iranian airspace, including one formation composed of 16 F-14s.  A much more credible source (May issue of Combat Aircraft magazine) says that current intelligence shows no less than 44 airframes are operational and have gone through a complex overhaul process.

Happiness is Tomcat-shaped.

I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.

Offline RecceJet

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2006, 05:12:58 AM »
Perhaps an incentive from the US to stop Iranian nuclear progress is to offer overhauls and spare parts from the retired USN Tomcats. Of course this would not include the AIM-54, but perhaps the offer of having their F-14 fleet fully serviced with plenty of spares would make them feel they have the edge in the Middle East's Order of Battle. Maybe having all their F-14 capability assured for a few decades will be a reasonable substitute to building nuclear weapons, at the same time keeping US contractors happy too.

Valiant1

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2006, 04:09:33 AM »
You've got to be kidding...why should the United States make deals with terrorist nations?  The Iranian president said that if we decided to go in, he'd make us pay dearly... I DON'T THINK SO!!! He's full of hot air, just like the North Korean President.  The United States would mop the floor with Iran's booty.  He's got nothing to throw at the US. 
There's only one way to deal with terrorist nations...remember Nagasaki and Hiroshima?   That is the only way to SILENCE people like that.  PERIOD.

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2006, 06:12:55 AM »
Well, I should say my good byes  :'( to the F-14 Tomcat, one of the best planes ever...so beautiful. You shall stay in our hearts and minds forever. Just think of it this way, the F-14 payed its dues...now its time for them to retire. They brought the fight to the enemy with bombs signed "To Sadam, from America" and let those terrorists know who the real winner was. And we shouldnt sell ANYTHING TO IRAN. NOTHING, not even a bullet. They dont deserve it. We should just bomb them and make them understand that all there saying IS NOT TRUE. Theyll fall apart as our bomber pass overhead.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2006, 01:39:18 PM »
Ok, enough politics, we are talking about the F-14 here and Iran happens to be the only operator to continue flying the Tomcat for more than a year.
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA