MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: F-14 Tomcat farewell..........  (Read 26508 times)

Valiant1

Re: F-14 Tomcat farewell..........
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 02:59:34 PM »
The Iranian Tomcats might be airworthy after a complex overhaul, but before the fall of the Shah of Iran, Grumman engineers removed some of the more "sensitive" equipment from the Tomcats to make them less effective, in the event Iran would use them against the US.  I got this info from a documentary on the Military Channel here in the US. 

Same goes for the M1A2 Abrams sold to Saudi Arabia - they didn't come equipped with the "special armor" package that American M1A2's come with.  This is, which I believe, in the event there is a coup de'tat (did I spell that correctly?) in the government. 

I still think the Iranian Tomcats would pose a possible threat against US fighters flying over Iraq - the purpose of the Tomcat was Fleet Air Defense and it does possess excellent dogfighting maneuvers ( and this is not because of the movie Top Gun!).  At that time, the US Military gave the Shah 2 options - the F-14 and the F-15.  Each aircraft had its turn in showing what its capabilities were, and apparently, the Shah was very impressed with the Tomcat over the Eagle.  It's a good possibility that a duel between the Tomcat and Eagle would almost be impossible to predict - it would have to come down to pilot ability.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 12:11:48 PM »
Do you think it was the dogfight ability? I don't think so. The F-14 had a more powerful radar and the AIM-54 missile. Whereas the F-15s were still carrying only AIM-7/AIM-9s at that time, which could also be fitted to the Cat. Another reason might be the two-men crew, as the Iranians were used to flying the Phantom.

I think if it was only about dogfighting, they would have picked the F-15 over the F-14.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 12:47:12 PM »
Guys! Yesterday i saw a documentary of the Tomcat.  From modern marvels (on history channel),"Tomcat sunset." For those of you who download through torrents, then this is available now on several servers. It shows the tomcats history from start to finish and i even got to see the Lybian incidents again.

I really recomend this documentary, you will get all the answers you ever need about the Tomcat and of course the Iranian ones also. But it still makes you a bit sad when you see them dismantling Tomcats, seeing empty shells of the airframe standing in the desert.  :(
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Valiant1

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 12:08:58 AM »
You get Modern Marvels over there? 

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006, 12:15:35 AM »
Valiant1, I do get Modern Marvels down here (Argentina) :D Maybe no t as far as Sweeden, but... oh and it's in Spanish too :)
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2006, 04:00:46 AM »
You get Modern Marvels over there? 

No, but i can always download the episodes i like to watch.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »
From where do you download them?
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 05:31:56 PM »
From where do you download them?

I download all my stuff from thepiratebay.org  :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 06:06:30 PM by Viggen »
Patrik S.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA