Military Aviation > Military Aircraft

F-14 Tomcat farewell..........

<< < (2/7) > >>

orko_8:
In my opinion, F-14 Tomcat is one of the last few aircraft with "spirit". I think I will never get used to see "Jolly Rogers" on the tail of another navy jet...

lalanuni:
I agree with u orko_8! By the way, r u the Tomcat's fan? If yes, u can visit this website www.tomcat-sunset.org

orko_8:
Yes lalanuni, I'm a huge fan of Tomcat! Even my mug's a Tomcat patch :) I surfed the site and it's pretty cool, thanks a lot :)

alyster:
Last week I hapened to see a film about Iran. The filmmakers were pretty sure that U.S. will attack Iran due to it's huge suport for terrorism and ademps to get WMD. It was like no mather what Tehran will do or say, U.S. will attack. (Like Iraq, Iran then Syria and N.Korea and maybe the world is a better place). But many have said that the attack of Iraq was too fast, so now they are planing the new war with lots of time and big cear. Also the film said that by now Pentagon takes air attacks as main means of attacking.

Anyway the point where I'm trying to get is that it's good news only for Tomcat fans, coz then u can see your lovely plane in action on front page of the Times or in CNN (no mather that they will be used against the U.S.  ;D)

BTW when talking about Irans F-14s, then there are some rumors, that Iran has replaced the Tomcats engine for some Soviet made engines. Which ones? why? Were they out of parts for the U.S made engines or did they want more power?

[ I came, I saw, Iran! - one joke I remebered about Iranis AF ]

Webmaster:
Iran has been embargoed by the US for some time. Also the Tomcat's engines are not the most reliable/easy to maintain. I think they were thinking/trying to put the RD-33s on it (the engines of the MiG-29s in service with Iran). I am not 100% sure about this, but the other alternative Russian engine to put on it would be the AL-31, but Iran doesnt fly Flankers. So increase in power...probably not. Keeping the powerful F-14 interception system (radar+Phoenix) in the air is probably the priority, either by getting the Tomcat in the air with other parts/engines, or by transferring the systems and phoenix to other aircraft. Both have been attempted I think, but I don't know to what extend, nor the current status. Last thing I read was an estimated 15 to 20 F-14s remaining in operational service.

I am not to keen on these pre-emptive style invasions... and an occupied Iran would only lead to more terrorists or well enemies of the US....but that's another subject, and quite a difficult one I guess...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version