MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: F-14 Tomcat farewell..........  (Read 26509 times)

Offline Ramon

• Scorpion Aviation Photography
  • Global Moderator
  • Fighter Ace
F-14 Tomcat farewell..........
« on: October 11, 2005, 02:45:40 PM »
Hello guys,

Thought I would share this video with you guys.
About the Fare-well of the in my humble opinion, best Navy build fighter ever.
I'm talking offcourse about the beautifull F-14 Tomcat......... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Link: http://airshowstuff.com/Tomcat_Farewell.wmv

You will be missed in many military aviation hearts.............................................. :-\ :'(

Regards, Ramon.
  • Interests: A-10, F-14, F-105, B-58 and warbirds

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Re: F-14 Tomcat farewell..........
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 04:03:58 PM »
Aw, that's sweet.

Does any1 know what song it is with the video?  :P
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 06:13:48 PM by alyster »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Ramon

• Scorpion Aviation Photography
  • Global Moderator
  • Fighter Ace
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 05:13:53 PM »
Aw, that's sweet.

Does any1 know waht song it is with the video?  :P

Hi Alyster,

The music that you hear is from "Greenday", don't now what the song is??
Buth I find the movie more important.......... :P ::)

Regards, Ramon.
  • Interests: A-10, F-14, F-105, B-58 and warbirds

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 12:15:43 AM »
Nice video but  It´s sad to see another legend retire.   :(

Still it have one more year to fly before it goes away forever. Those aircraftcarriers will look pretty strange without them.
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline lalanuni

• Pilot
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 09:17:53 AM »
F-14 Tomcat is my favourite military aircraft ever in my life..its shape so fine.. After i watched the movie "Top Gun" starring by Tom Cruise, I m already addicted to it! So long...Tomcat.. :'(

The song title is "time of ur life", performed by Greenday..Thks Scorpion! for the clip.. ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 09:31:31 AM by lalanuni »

Offline orko_8

• Pilot
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 01:17:05 PM »
In my opinion, F-14 Tomcat is one of the last few aircraft with "spirit". I think I will never get used to see "Jolly Rogers" on the tail of another navy jet...

Offline lalanuni

• Pilot
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 03:34:47 PM »
I agree with u orko_8! By the way, r u the Tomcat's fan? If yes, u can visit this website www.tomcat-sunset.org

Offline orko_8

• Pilot
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 10:08:52 AM »
Yes lalanuni, I'm a huge fan of Tomcat! Even my mug's a Tomcat patch :) I surfed the site and it's pretty cool, thanks a lot :)

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 08:36:17 PM »
Last week I hapened to see a film about Iran. The filmmakers were pretty sure that U.S. will attack Iran due to it's huge suport for terrorism and ademps to get WMD. It was like no mather what Tehran will do or say, U.S. will attack. (Like Iraq, Iran then Syria and N.Korea and maybe the world is a better place). But many have said that the attack of Iraq was too fast, so now they are planing the new war with lots of time and big cear. Also the film said that by now Pentagon takes air attacks as main means of attacking.

Anyway the point where I'm trying to get is that it's good news only for Tomcat fans, coz then u can see your lovely plane in action on front page of the Times or in CNN (no mather that they will be used against the U.S.  ;D)

BTW when talking about Irans F-14s, then there are some rumors, that Iran has replaced the Tomcats engine for some Soviet made engines. Which ones? why? Were they out of parts for the U.S made engines or did they want more power?

[ I came, I saw, Iran! - one joke I remebered about Iranis AF ]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 08:44:07 PM by alyster »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 12:01:17 AM »
Iran has been embargoed by the US for some time. Also the Tomcat's engines are not the most reliable/easy to maintain. I think they were thinking/trying to put the RD-33s on it (the engines of the MiG-29s in service with Iran). I am not 100% sure about this, but the other alternative Russian engine to put on it would be the AL-31, but Iran doesnt fly Flankers. So increase in power...probably not. Keeping the powerful F-14 interception system (radar+Phoenix) in the air is probably the priority, either by getting the Tomcat in the air with other parts/engines, or by transferring the systems and phoenix to other aircraft. Both have been attempted I think, but I don't know to what extend, nor the current status. Last thing I read was an estimated 15 to 20 F-14s remaining in operational service.

I am not to keen on these pre-emptive style invasions... and an occupied Iran would only lead to more terrorists or well enemies of the US....but that's another subject, and quite a difficult one I guess...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 12:04:23 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline lalanuni

• Pilot
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 08:25:44 AM »
u r welcome! orko_8...its my pleasure to share with all the tomcat's fans.. ;D  Btw, for what i know is US has already revised the support to Iran's tomcat due to some certain reasons(unspecified)..But maybe i m wrong too.  :P

Offline corso

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 11:27:14 PM »
Hello to all!

First post here and I would like to thank the webmaster for the excellent job he does by maintaining this site.

However, it's a sad thing to see relatively few people being members to it.

To the subject of the IRIAF Tomcats now, according to some authorities on the subject (such as Tom Cooper), no engine substitution has taken place and Ali's cats soldier on with the untrusty TF 30s. Also the approximate inventory stands at 54 airframes with about 29 available for flight operations. It has been indicated that this number has recently increased (due to the hightened tensions with the West and Israel) and perhaps has reached the 54 airframes available. A major change is almost certain to have occured in the field of the F-14A's avionics (range increased, solid state electronics, already since the mid-80s) and also in the weapons it can employ (R-73s).
If it ever comes to combat, rest assure that the "cat" will once again show its sharp claws!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA