MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: F-15C getting a upgraded  (Read 4826 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
F-15C getting a upgraded
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:35:49 AM »
Can somebody explain why AESA radar's are better and can F-15C carry out attack missions with smart weapons now?  Thanks

Raytheon's $52.2 million F-15 AESA Radar Production Contract Gets Under Way

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Oct. 9, 2007 /PRNewswire/ -- Building on
breakthrough technology defined by its active electronically scanned array
radar for the F/A-18, Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has launched production
of its latest AESA system for another formidable fighter.
    In a program funded by a $52.2 million Boeing contract, Raytheon will
deliver six APG-63(V)3 AESA systems and a spare to the Air National Guard
as part of its F-15C upgrade program. Raytheon will deliver an additional
system to the U.S. Air Force.

Link
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/micro_stories.pl?ACCT=149999&TICK=RTN&STORY=/www/story/10-09-2007/0004678435&EDATE=Oct+9,+2007

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: F-15C getting a upgraded
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:51:45 PM »
Instead of having the mechanical moving antenna to scan, there are lots of smaller transmitter/receiver modules. Which give faster scanning rates and a more reliable radar with less maintenance because there are no moving parts, and no space neccessary for it to move, it occupies less space. The faster scan means a lower probability of the signal being intercepted/detected. Since they are newer/better/faster radars, they also offer better range. Google for more  :P

The APG-63(V2) also has AESA and has already been fitted to some F-15Cs. The V3 is based on the APG-79's AESA of the Super Hornet.

The old radar was already multi-mode by the way.

can F-15C carry out attack missions with smart weapons now?

Short answer: Does it need to? No.

Longer answer:
Well no, not without further upgrades. The fire control system, stores management and other software needs to be upgraded. Which probably means that you need to upgrade your computer to accomodate the additional software, and need to upgrade your displays. For smart weapons you need integration of a targetting pod and/or GPS... but I guess the F-15 could let strike eagles handle that and just be a bomb truck thanks to its data-link, but you don't need a new radar for that. Finally you need the proper launchers, pylons which are wired and compatible with those launchers, but I think it's not really a problem as the F-15 was originally made capable of dropping dumb bombs.
Anyway, you'll end up with a degraded F-15E with only 2 to max 6 hard points suitable for A-S weapons. Or well, more like a F-16.

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:09:19 AM »
I'd like to add, that the each one of the small modules, acts like a radar of its own, and the big advantage is that you can have simultaneously air to air and air to ground modes. ( i believe some modules are working a2a and others a2g, if someone knows correct me).

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:37:53 PM »
Yup, blocks of T/R modules can be steered individually.

However, I don't know if the APG-63(V3) actually has simultaneous A-A and A-S modes. I would think it still has the old modes.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA