MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: USMC's EA6B prowler  (Read 6437 times)

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
USMC's EA6B prowler
« on: February 01, 2006, 06:03:05 PM »
Does anyone know the scoop on these, are they still operating them? I heard a rumor that they were going to be phased out...

P.S if I posted this in the wrong forum, which I realized I did, please delete this topic my apologies for the extra work.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: USMC's EA6B prowler
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 06:31:05 PM »
As far as I know, they are still operating them, and will continue to do so until the arrival of the EF-18G 'Growler' which is under development right now.

Last time, I read about them (July 2005), they were quite active in supporting the ground operations in Iraq. The jammers have been modified specifically to be used against 'Improvised Explosive Devices' or IEDs. They can prevent signals being sent to these devices (which work with relative simple trigger devices such as mobile phones) or detonate the device prematurely. IEDs are a big threat to convoys. Just sending a few Hummers with .50 cals won't do the job, reconnaissance assets and electronic warfare assets are deployed for these counter-IED operations. (EA-6Bs, EC-130H, UAVs, E-8C, even U-2s)
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Valiant1

Re: USMC's EA6B prowler
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 03:47:19 AM »
The EA-6B Prowler is an incredible machine, a derivative of the A-6 Intruder.  Unfortunately, it will eventually be replaced by a version of the F/A18F Super Hornet, named the Growler.  The advantage here is quite evident - speed.  The Growler will fly almost twice as fast as the Prowler and be able to evade enemy aircraft.  The downside - lack of long range and the lack of carrying lots of fuel tanks.  The Navy is "downsizing" and trying to replace different aircrafts with one type of aircraft.  This is to keep maintainance costs down and has the advantage of an airframe using common parts - definitely a great advantage especially during wartime. 
So in the future, the Navy is only going to have 2 types of aircraft on board our carriers - the F/A-18 E&F Hornet and the F-35 JSF.  I hope this is where the downsizing stops with the Navy. 

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA