MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: F-35 Internal store  (Read 6985 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
F-35 Internal store
« on: November 17, 2007, 04:28:39 PM »
For all those F-35 non believers I just read a interesting piece on how the Joint Strike Fighter could be upgraded to carry up to six internal AIM-120 AMRAAM Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles.    Now this is aircraft value just went up, I think F-22 can carry six as well plus two 9M Sidewinders, soon to be the X types.   I think now Australia Air Force and other buyers just saw there investment paid off and it will get better.   My Australian fiends now you have a weapons platform that can go up against Flankers.

Link
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a4f04259d-8fca-4e42-8e17-44f5dca7edf4

Post #300

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Re: F-35 Internal store
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 07:31:55 AM »
Yeahhh, tho the problem is

A: We dont have the F-35 yet
B: Its like twice as expensive as a Flanker
C:...Its really expensive?

Tho, I spose it'll be worth it.... Eventually....

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:47:16 PM »
Good, but it sounds as an optional feature, not included in the standard package unless there's enough interest from buyers. It will probably be introduced on later blocks for the USAF, and not on the early blocks nor those for the existing export customers.  ;) I'm skeptical, good possibility this planned feature will be spiralled out of the development cycle if there's no firm demand, you know to cut cost. It's up to Australia to make this happen I think, since others have the Typhoon for air defense, or think 2 AAMs is enough, or don't have a big enough say in this.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:02:05 PM »
I guess I look at differently I think it increases the value of the aircraft a lot because it becomes a true replacement for the jack of all trades the F-16.   You could set it up as fighter and using it stealth you don't have turn and burn with the best of them just stay out sight and launch Slammers.   Use the aircraft as a striker get real close to targets without being pick up and launch your weapons from as close as possible giving the defender the least amount of time to react.   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 07:46:28 PM by nonpilot »

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 10:20:39 PM »
Since my friend started the thread on the F-35, i will add this

"Israel to increase range of F-35 fighters.
Flight Global (1/11, Egozi) reported, "The Israeli air force wants to increase the operational range of its future fleet of 100 Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighters by adding new external fuel tanks that are already being developed by domestic companies." The companies are alternately developing "external tanks to be carried on the F-35's under-wing hardpoints," and also "conformal fuel tanks for the Israeli fighters." The news came as the Israeli military "recently completed the design of a unique F-35 version optimized for its mission requirements." The country is scheduled to receive 25 F-35s from Lockheed Martin in 2004, "plus options on a further 25." Flight Global noted that, in a separate "bid to extend the range of its strike aircraft, Israel's Boeing 707 tanker-transports will be equipped with Honeywell-supplied glass cockpits incorporating new communications equipment, six multi-function displays and a global air traffic management system."

So now we have six internal air 2 air, and increased range + stealthiness,....i think this bird is beggining to be upgraded even before it enters service....

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 10:41:22 PM »
It's going to be very good and make the F16 proud.   I wonder what shapes those external fuel tanks will be in?   I assume there be able to drop them just before going into a radar covered area?

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
I think that the shape of a stealthy external tank, could be like those modern stealthy cruise missiles (SCALP). The cylindrical shapes can deflect radio energy uncontrolably, that is why u can't find cylindrical surfaces on the F-22 and F-35. On the other hand, the conformal tanks, considering the side weapon bays of the F-35, should be hanged up on the wing, like the F-16's case.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »
I suppose with this add-on, the F-35 will gain poularity? I'm starting to believe the F-35 will have quite an impact on the world...
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA