Military Aviation > Military Aircraft

F117 Nighthawk scrapped??

(1/3) > >>

Viggen:
I hear recently read that USAF is going to scrap the Nighthawks. Saving only 2 or 3 for museums.
My question is why would they do this  ??? ??? ???

Webmaster:
Uhm, you sure? Well yes, with the F-22 on duty, they might be able to retire. But the recent article I read about F-117 retirement, was just about the YF-117s prototypes...

They cost a fortune to maintain though...

Viggen:
Check this link out, i might have misunderstood the text.  :)

www.military.com/features/0,15240,84991,00.html

Webmaster:
Well yes, looks like some want to retire them early, and I don't blame them for that. But not this year, the F-22 force needs to grow first.

--- Quote ---In a Dec. 20 internal budget document, Pentagon Comptroller Tina Jonas approved significant spending changes between fiscal years 2007 and 2011 that were proposed by the Air Force.

--- End quote ---

and

--- Quote ---the fiscal year 2006 defense appropriations bill, signed Dec. 30 by President Bush, includes $9.4 billion to maintain the fleet of 52 F-117s.

--- End quote ---

Viggen:
Thanks for the help, i thought they meant they would start scrapping them this year. But still it seems like a big waste of money no matter what they do.  :-\

Sweden does not produce any oil, so we are safe incase US Department Of Defence runs out of money...  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version