MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Aircraft Sightings by your area  (Read 6871 times)

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
Aircraft Sightings by your area
« on: April 29, 2008, 08:18:21 PM »
Hey guys, I already made 2 topics, but since we all military aircrafts quite refquently, I made a topic here for all of us to log.

We didn't use to have much military action, but within the last month, during an overcast or night, I have seen large aircrafts that were very loud flying over. And now, I saw a C-130 fly over at about 3,000ft.

After that, just now, 2 UH-60 Blackhawks and 2 MH-6 Littlebirds (only 4 total from what I saw, although dad saw a few more before me). It's kinda wierd, and before that a C-130 and KC-135 refueling over my house.

They never, ever, had this much military activity over my house, although I do love watching them.  ;)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Aircraft Sightings by your area
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:37 PM »
I only see transports and tankers near me every now and then some F-16s but its rare.  Monday I notice a lot of tanker traffic more then most days.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »
Had F-18 fly over my house during ANZAC day thing, and i think there was a S-70 Blackhawk once, not to sure on it tho  ???

Offline BigsWick

• Pilot
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:59:38 PM »

I lived about 2 miles as the crow flies outside of NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach for almost 6 years, from mid 1990 until mid 1996. More than five of those years were spent in a condo directly below the flight path of arriving and departing aircraft. As an aviation enthusiast I couldn't have asked for a better spot from which to watch an air show every day of the week: F-14s, A-6s, KA-6s, EA-6s, S-3s, T-2s, A-4s, F-16s, and F/A-18s. Occasionally we'd get to see A-10s, F-15s, F-117s, and even the very rare B-52 sighting. Langley AFB is only about 45 minutes away by car. Those were some great times.

The trial run for the big D.C. air parade after the 1991 Gulf War was held at Oceana. Literally every fixed wing aircraft in the US military inventory was represented. Traffic stopped for miles on every road as they flew overhead. People just pulled over and got out of their cars to watch. It was one of the most fantastic things I've ever seen, hands down.

In the winter of 1992 a buddy and I witnessed an A-6E crash after a night take off just over the beach on Atlantic Avenue. The pilot and B/N ejected safely. The B/N landed across the street from my condo. It was one of the craziest things I've ever witnessed.

A couple of years later I got to survey the damage done by the target cable towed behind an A-4 that was never reeled in. It still amazes me that it literally dragged over cars, buildings, trees, etc., but the Skyhawk landed safely.

My absolute favorite thing of all was watching a section of F-14s come in for a landing at maybe 1,500 feet doing 450 knots. Their formations would always break to port into a single-file line, each aircraft beginning its turn into the landing pattern at 3 second intervals. They started in a tight break, but every trailing aircraft in the pattern would widen its arc as it approached the field. By the time the third plane came around it was usually flying directly over my house, gear down, flaps lowered, airbrakes extended, etc.

I won't bore you guys with more stories, but I think you get the idea.  ;D

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 05:08:40 AM »
Those are quite the sightings!

And welcome to Milavia, BigsWick :)

Offline iluveagles

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »
I live in IL, 15 minutes from the Wisconsin border and an hour north of Chicago, so I rarely see anything. However, ever once in a while Blackhawks will come over, I think they pick up the Natl Guard at their armory for training exercises.

I was down at Marsallies Natl Guard Training Center and I got a ride on a Ch-47 and saw three Blackhawks land and take off in formation.

When I was up in Oshkosh last we saw an C-130 do 4-5 touch and goes which was pretty cool. And down in Florida I always see F-15s zooming all over the place in formation and once I saw a Coast guard helo.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA