MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Iran unveils the Azarakhsh  (Read 19099 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Iran unveils the Azarakhsh
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 02:28:58 PM »
One of the two blue ones, the one with the more modified rear, is apparently the same aircraft as we've seen ealier in Iranian national colours. The second one is new, but the rear is more similar to the original F-5.

The double tails give some additional place for fuel, but I doubt it is a lot.

The Azarakhsh will probably have a single RD-33 engine in the future, which makes it more like the F-20, but with the new wing. One RD-33 gives approx 11000lb of dry and 18000 kN with afterburner. Quite an improvement over the J85s which provide only a combined thrust of 10000lb with afterburners. But since they are new-built, and not upgrades, I suppose they can produce the airframe to support it. It seems they are still a long way from having a RD-33 powered F-5 copy.

Russia will also (unconfirmed) supply components for a new Iranian developed radar, or the Phazotron- NIIR N-019 radar (also from the MiG-29), which seems a bit big, so I guess a smaller array needs to be fitted, or some serious rework on the front fuselage is needed.

Russia can't supply new planes under UN sanctions, but components are allowed??

RD-5000 is by the way a non-afterburning variant of the RD-93 (FC-1), which is basically a RD-33 but with the gearbox relocated. I don't see why they wouldn't want the RD-93 for this program, instead of the RD-33. Probably because of the availability of the latter because of their MiG-29s?

Does Iran build their own fighters because no one will sell anything to them?

Or do they genuinely think they can build a deadly weapon, like the F-15, Flanker, Typhoon, Gripen, Rafale and possibly the F-35?

Well yes, they want to expand their own aviation industry. Which better way is there to start with reverse engineering older aircraft and then changing bits and pieces. Having their own capable industry ensure them of a supplier. Not just of the jets, but also spare parts and maintenance. You have to ambitious to succeed, so maybe they don't just think they can build planes comparable to the ones you mentioned in the long run, but actually made it their most important goal.

I don't agree with Iran's government or system, but I can't blame them for trying to pull this off.

Anyway, I'll propose a nickname for these F-5 copies: "Flying Turkey".

Happy shooting!
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 03:15:42 PM »
My friend valkyrian
The D-33 is heavier wouldn't the basic F-5 frame have to be changed a little more then moving the wings back?  Wouldn't the center weight and balance, plus effect the air flow?   I think the main reason for these 50 engines will be spares for the Mig-29s.   Just my two centjavascript:void(0);
Smiley
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 01:18:57 AM by nonpilot »

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 12:00:59 PM »
Interesting. Does anybody have full technical specifications before we argue about the airframe?
-JCLim

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 12:26:10 PM »
Definetally, u can't just put a bigger engine which requires more air without do something for the inlets, and the center of gravity. The F-20 is a proof that such a small airframe can accept a bigger engine and increase the performance substantially. Smoke emissions on RD33 is still an issue and reliability isn't in the same level of the F404.

Suppose they will be able to produce it, i don't think it will be any better than a F-16A ( early version).

But they deserve a "Bravo" since they try to produce something (even modified). They remind me what Israelis did with Mirage V/Kfir.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 05:43:04 PM »
I don't think Iran's going to release any technical specifications because it would give away it's capabilities.   The mid and early version of the D-33 does produce much more smoke then a average fighter jet engine good point.    The Israeli's did a better job with th Kfir because they were able to change the body/frame and the J-79 gave it more power something the French design needed.    I think Iran would love to have 40 or 50 F404 engines and the parts to support them.   All they have to do is stop supporting terrorist groups around the world and end there nuclear program and country's would be tripping over themselves to deal with them.   Just my two cents

valkyrian is Greece really going to get the S.Korean advance trainers?  What's being said in the Greece press?

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 06:08:48 PM »
Interesting part of article from the site of “Rosoboronexport”:

During visit of president Putin signing the separate agreement on delivery to Iran a small party (some pieces) engines RD-5000 representing a variant of engine RD-93, only without forsage chambers is expected. Them plan to establish for skilled Iranian plane Shafaq ("Dawn") which development is conducted by a design complex of University of aircraft of Iran. First flight Shafaq is planned next year. Under the informal information, this machine is developed at engineering support of Russia. Besides the Russian engine on it will stand Russian catapult armchair К-36. According to applications of the Iranian officials, Shafaq it will be constructed of the materials absorbing radiowaves that will make its undistinguished (technology Stealth). The double version will be used and as the training plane, and single - like a Su-25.

http://www.rosoboronexport.ru/roe_ru/news/lenty/lent_07_10_16.html
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 08:45:32 AM »
Very sorry, Sergei, but i don't understand the link.

Oh, very droll, webby.

nonpilot-

Have to agree there. But we don't know very much about it, so i suggest speculation is about as far as we can go. Don't argue over the christmas turkey.  ;D
-JCLim

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 04:30:33 PM »

valkyrian is Greece really going to get the S.Korean advance trainers?  What's being said in the Greece press?

Still nothing has been leaked to the press, not even a mention. I would love to see T-50s over Aegean sea.........

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 04:52:47 PM »
I have my fingers crossed for the T50sif that helps?

Back to topic:  I still fee that all these Iranian fighters are really not in production and are just press grabbers nothing more.   Iran talks a tough talk but have one of the ill equipped air force in that region.   I think 3 squadrons of modern F-4 armed with Slammers and smart weapons supported AWACS + tankers could basically hold there own and do very well.   Never mind the hundreds of F-16s, F-15s, Mirage 2000s, and others in the region could do if called to do so.   

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 05:19:05 PM »
Cross your fingers and say a prayer  ;D ;D ;D  like i do.....

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 09:31:19 AM »
Imagine if the Israelis choose to blow up your big huge force, nonpilot.

T-50s in greece sound good.
-JCLim

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 09:23:56 PM »
Raptor
Imagine if the Israelis choose to blow up your big huge force, nonpilot.

I don't understand what do you mean?   

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA