MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Iran unveils the Azarakhsh  (Read 19170 times)

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
Re: Iran unveils the Azarakhsh
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 09:07:48 AM »
3 squadrons of modern F-4 wouldn't stand against THAT lots of squadrons of modern lots of things with AWACS support and everything.
-JCLim

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 04:38:17 PM »
Hi Raptor
What I meant is Iran's air force is weaker then most people think it is.   Just because of a few F-14s, handful of older Mig-29s, and these F-5 look a likes, they really have one of the weaker air forces in the region.   Because there so weak and outdated a mere (3) older out dated F-4 squadrons with a little support basically would do well.    In real life ten times that would be used and maybe a last flight from the F-117s too, one never knows.   

I still don't know what you meant by
Imagine if the Israelis choose to blow up your big huge force

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 02:04:49 PM »
No, it wouldn't stand a chance against a massive attack, but which air force does? Only a handful. Your fleet will be decimated before anything can be intercepted, not just because of stealth, but all the stand-off weapons.

However, it's enough to make other countries fly around you and to keep a few countries from sending a single flight of F-16s to bomb your new nuclear reactor... just have to make sure you detect them and then send enough at them to keep them busy and run out of fuel or jettison their bombs before they come within range of the target.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2007, 10:42:26 AM »
And then what, Webby, the enemy brings in the massive cavalry of A-10s, F-15s, F/A-18s, etc? ;D

Oh, sorry, nonpilot. The Israelis have enough support to beat a squadron of 3 F-4s. They won't stand a chance against the type of aircrat the Israelis possess.
-JCLim

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 03:27:28 PM »
Hi Raptor
A misunderstanding I knew it not against the Israeli's that's not what I meant about the three F-4 squadrons.   No three squadrons wouldn't be enough by a long shot against the Israeli' s besides there our allies.  What I meant was going up against Iran that basically three squadrons of older F-4 would do well overall with a little support because Iran's AF is in poor shape.
            I reason I think t that reactor should be destroyed is because I just want the crazies Iran to give bad things things to certain un-controlled groups that might kill thousands or even millions.   They shouldn't get that chance that might sound unfair, cruel, pushy, mean, or what ever to an outsider but down the road somebody will die from it that might be alive if it were stopped.   In general reactor's aren't the safest creations known to mankind we haven't built new ones in the United States in years maybe that's a sign.   My two cent we (USA) and Russia has had a few mishaps to say it lightly so I'm not a firm believer in the tech anymore or even if it's worth it, maybe other forms of energy are better routes to go in.  I don't want to sound like a hippy sign waver (I'm not by a long shot) but the less of these things around the better and closing the older one for safely reasons would be a good thing too.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 03:05:37 AM »
And then what, Webby, the enemy brings in the massive cavalry of A-10s, F-15s, F/A-18s, etc? ;D

I am not talking about a US intervention, but for example an Israeli one similar to the one against Iraq's Osirak reactor. That's why Iran is keeping up its air force, not to stop a US invasion, for that they rely on their people. Plus for propaganda reasons.

Hopefully the US isn't stupid enough to repeat what they did to Iraq, as it will be similar: easy military victory and then an aftermath 10 times worse than Iraq.

Well, it isn't just that we don't want Iran to have nuclear power because some accident might happen of course. It's complicated. Iran signed the non-proliferation treaty which says you don't use it for nuclear weapons, in return you can use it for peaceful purposes, e.g. nuclear power. I think it actually says something about tech transfer between members of the treaty to use it for such purposes. So Iran says look we're building it for nuclear power, we can do that and you can't say we aren't allowed nuclear power. If Iran would have a nuclear reactor, it can export more oil. So keeping to this deal also has it benefits to Iran, even though they can't have nuclear weapons and need to allow access to UN inspectors.
But UN inspectors found traces of weapons grade plutonium (and/or technology to create it) and weren't allowed access everywhere. So the US says you can't have a nuclear reactor, because clearly you want a nuclear weapon. US and UN embargo Iran for non-cooperation. Iran kicks out the inspectors and gets embargoed some more.
With no UN inspections and these embargos, what do you think Iran will now focus on? nuclear power, or a nuclear weapon? Even if Iran would open its reactor, and it is bombed, it's pretty too late already then, because they are probably working on a weapon at another site. So you need to invade, Iraq in ruins, Afghanistan unstable and add then the aftermath in Iran. You'll have a Jihad then? Oil prices shoot up, people die on all sides, tax payer suffers, military suffers. All because we didn't trust a regime with nuclear power, and couldn't properly control that development?
Look this regime is clearly not intimidated by embargos, and doesn't like to be told by nations that do have nuclear power and weapons that it can't have the same, just because Bush put them on his Axis of Evil list. I have some respect for this, but they aren't making it any easier on their own part.

Most difficult thing is to come to terms. Most stupid thing to do is to invade it with full force. Easiest thing to do is just to drop a few bombs on the suspicous installations... which only buys time and makes the political situation worse, but to block this easy route, Iran needs a capable air force... (and the US stealth planes to unblock it).

(PS: I think the US is producing enough power as it is, but the network is in need of a serious upgrade. I don't think safety is a big concern, otherwise more plants (not just old ones) would have been closed by now... but leaving nuclear waste for future generations is a concern. Unfortunately everything has it downsides. Wind/sun energy takes a lot of money/resources to collect, oil/gas is a limited resource, coal has its emissions and risk to miners, hydroplants alter entire landscapes, bio-energy changes agriculture needs, and nuclear leaves dangerous waste... and wood burning is not an option, but I just want to mention it here, because I think some Westeners really should shut the f*** up complaining about all those poor people that rely on it, that they should use solar power instead, let's not do that till we are completely eco-friendly)
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 04:28:59 PM »
Hm. I see. The Mid-Easterns should focus on rebuilding society... And the US should focus on pulling out. What do you mean by 'unblock', Webby?

About Solar-power. The panels are very un-eco friendly to make and repair, so i suppose that's not the option...
-JCLim

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 11:54:19 PM »

Hopefully the US isn't stupid enough to repeat what they did to Iraq, as it will be similar: easy military victory and then an aftermath 10 times worse than Iraq.

Dude, I really hope we do not do this. The US Military is just not ready to fight a three front war our military is spread way too thin not to mention the US public isn't ready to fund yet another war! this administration has brought our nation to be hated through out the world (not that we weren't before but now more so than before) We (US) should focus on fixing the current political situation that we helped to destroy, we should focus on fixing what we broke, and then pull out since we had no business being there in the first place. Well except a personal vendetta to what daddy could not finish. Of course that's just one of my many thoughts on what we should do then again I'm just a liberal democrat, who am to chance the highly conservative people of the US right.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2007, 07:40:18 AM »
WRC dude... Do you have any idea how much thinner the Royal Armed Forces are spread? You guys look pretty comfortable by comparison...

I like the planes, actually, btw, and all the military hardware. But it's kinda a waste of cash, since the US should focus on making itself more stable... I'm all for the conservatives. You dems start all the big wars. ;D jkjk no harm meant,
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA