MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Iran unveils the Azarakhsh  (Read 19181 times)

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
Iran unveils the Azarakhsh
« on: October 18, 2007, 07:50:11 AM »
There was some talk recently about an Iranian Fighter being in development. They've finally released another fighter that again looks like an F-5 deriative. (must be the 'freedom fighter' that gets to them)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/azarakhsh.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azarakhsh

It's clearly a reverse-engineered copy of the F-5, with the wings moved to the middle of the fuselage instead of being attached to the bottom, like the F-5 itself. This would be their second F-5 deriative? The other one was apparently a twin-finned "Saeghe".
-JCLim

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Re: Iran unveils the Azarakhsh
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 11:34:41 AM »
How many times can one and the same plane make it to news as a Irani new fighter  ???
They have 3 new fighters and I've read atlist dozen times about Irani new home made fighter.  :-X
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:22:28 PM »
They must of pick up a lot of spare parts off the black market because most country's don't deal with Iran directly.   The F-5 family and the never produced in numbers F-20, are some of my favorite aircraft and would enjoy disgusting them but not in Iranian colors or form.  Put a little AESA radar in a F-20 armed with Slammers and you got yourself a kick ass low cost point defense fighter.   As long as you don't go up against Flankers and F-15C you'll be fine and happy with your investment, just my two cent. 

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:08:26 PM »
Well,  you have to give them some credit for atleast trying.  ;D
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline WRCKid

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 10:30:42 PM »
Well,  you have to give them some credit for atleast trying.  ;D
Yes, trying to copy a design that has been around for almost 40 years.  :P

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 10:48:38 PM »
yup, and look at the progress they did. They moved the wing!!  ;D
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 12:47:10 AM »
The one on the picture is fake (see http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/images/azarakhsh-pic2.jpg), the Azarakhsh is single seat and as said, the wings are mid-set. The prototype is coloured dark green, unless it has been repainted.

Here's the Azarakhsh prototype and some more Saeqeh new production planes. (although it says Xinhua/AFP on the first photo, it was released by FARS as well as far as I know, but I can't find it on their website right now).

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 02:00:34 AM »
Personally i think the twin tail suits Saeqeh. It makes it look cool and more aggressive.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 07:53:32 AM »
Does Iran build their own fighters because no one will sell anything to them?

Or do they genuinely think they can build a deadly weapon, like the F-15, Flanker, Typhoon, Gripen, Rafale and possibly the F-35?

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:50:33 AM »
The twin-tail one looks cool. Yeah, i forgot to mention about the pic. I couldn't find the green one on the net.
-JCLim

Offline Sergei

• Pilot
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 11:30:51 AM »
Under not confirmed information, between Russia and Iran the contract on delivery to Iran 50 aviation engines RD-33 and several RD-5000 is signed!

Under some information, the first engines it's planned to establish for fighters-bombers Azarakhsh, and the second - on training planes Shafag.
Жыве Беларусь!

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 12:32:10 PM »
In the 70's GD tried to put twin tails on the F-16, but the combination of LERX+twin tails prooved to be unpredictable, so they choose the single one.If those guys achieved to make this thing work nicely (which i doubt) they deserve some credits.

I can't think what serious and practically applied performane enhancement they will achieve. The plane won't be any faster accelerating or any harder turning. Maybe a little better high alpha authority, which is good, but since drag will also rise, they need more powerful engines (then more fuel then heavier structure and so on) to have some real operational benefits.

It would be far better if they tried to put a new bigger and lighter wing (made from composite materials) like what GD did on the F16/F-2. This would increase operational range, payload/range ability and maneuvering performance substantially.

Just my 2 cent (like a distant but really very good friend of mine ;) used to say in such ocassions)

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA