MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Iraqi airforce recives Mi.17s  (Read 5845 times)

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Iraqi airforce recives Mi.17s
« on: June 24, 2007, 02:57:55 PM »
http://en.rian.ru/world/20070624/67717240.html

BEIRUT, June 24 9RIA Novosti) - The first batch of Russian Mi-17 Hip multi-purpose helicopters has been commissioned by the Iraqi army, an Iraqi newspaper said Sunday.

Iraqi Defense Minister Abdel Qadar Jassim ai-Ubeidi inspected Saturday the aircraft at an air base near Baghdad, the Al Mada daily said, citing military sources.

The paper did not reveal the number of supplied aircraft, but some earlier reports indicated that 28 new Mi-17 helicopters had been ordered in a new contract replacing the previous contracts for 24 second-hand and 10 new helicopters.

The Iraqi minister said in March 2007 that the Iraqi Air Force should have between 50 and 60 helicopters in service by the end of 2007.

The Mi-17 is an improved version of the Mi-8 helicopter, also known as the Mi-8TMB. It is specifically designed for improved capabilities at high altitudes and in hot weather conditions.

I wonder how many copters US uses currently there. I know Brits and Dutch have a great lack of copers in South Afganistan, which has a effect of their battle effectiveness.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 03:00:22 PM by alyster »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Iraqi airforce recives Mi.17s
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 03:05:39 AM »
That is an interesting question how US helicopter are in Iraq?   I would assume in the hundreds but they might not want to release that information.   All those private contractor are using helicopters too so you would have to count them in as well.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:29:08 PM »
I've known the delivery took place for some time now, and I have included it in my Iraqi air force report. Guess it's only now since they have been officially entered service, other then training sorties. Although I think they still lack the proper self defense equipment. Once they have that equipment they will be of real value to the coalition effort.

Regarding the US helicopter question, I can give some info, thanks to David C Isby's article in the air forces monthly of June 2007.

In 2005:
142 AH-64
288 UH-60
48 OH-58D
40 AH-1
50-55 CH-46
30-35 CH-53
25-30 UH-1
had been deployed with US forces in Iraq. (not sure if rotational airframes are included...or that they are "order of battle" numbers)

2003-2004: 550.000 combat flight hours
2005: 750.000
2006: 335.000
2007: 400.000

So I guess combining these numbers, gives a rough idea for the helicopters deployed today.

Also the fact that the US withdrew 28 helicopters from Afghanistan, where they are really needed as well, for Iraq also says something about how badly they need them in Iraq.

The Brits have been coping with helicopters shortages as well, however I think more Merlins are available now and the Apache has certainly been a welcome addition. Regarding the Dutch, 3 Chinooks (out of a fleet of 11)  replaced 5 Cougars (out of 17)... I think more could be deployed, but it would put a huge strain on the already stretched helicopter group, with also 6 Apaches deployed already. It's time for other NATO allies to commit more helicopters to Afghanistan, now the US is transferring them to Iraq... but I guess most think they are already doing their part with some helicopters and fighters.
Or get new Mi-17s to Afghanistan as well, the Afghans know how to fly them (they actually have some in service)
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 04:43:22 PM »
Yhnx for the info. You blew away all my hopes  :-\

Or get new Mi-17s to Afghanistan as well, the Afghans know how to fly them (they actually have some in service)

Don't the allied and Afgan forces act independetly? I mean Afgans could surely use such equipment, but it would be any use for NATO.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 04:09:43 PM »
Hmm, as far as I know, Afghan government troops have fought alongside the Americans for OEF. I also think they actively support NATO's reconstruction missions and provide security in cooperation with NATO troops, but it depends on the province I guess.

Anyway, yes, they would be of use to NATO. At least the Afghans would be able to transport (more of) their own VIPs and supplies.  :P
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA