MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: J-XX: Chinese stealth fighter?  (Read 25151 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: J-XX: Chinese stealth fighter?
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2007, 03:48:28 AM »
Right, making a plane look "5th gen" doesn't make it stealth, neither does putting some RAM on it and reduce the RCS. You still have to worry about all kinds of emissions, not only IR.

Maybe Russia sold them 1.44/1.42/LFI info, but that thing never got any far either.

If China focuses so much on this stealth thing, it might actually be a good thing for US + allies, since it will be really expensive, delayed development and testing, produced in smaller numbers, yet still inferior to US weapons by the time it's up to strength.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Cobra2

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2007, 12:10:18 AM »
Wow that last picture you can tell is way to fake looking. The people don't look very real.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2007, 09:52:31 AM »
I agree with Webby. We CAN call you that, right. (It's a conspiracy, but *shhhhhhhh* don't tell anyone)

I don't even think Russia has the stealth that the US has. And oh, Webby, China has lots of money to spend right now. And you'd be very surprised at how well-made their weapons and illegal goods are. Hey, i live right below them, i should know.
-JCLim

Offline Icarus

• Pilot
  • Planes on ships fan
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2007, 04:52:31 PM »
There is one thing however, and as an engineer myself, I know it very well: No matter how good your scientists and how much money you have, you always need experience to make something good - and neither China or Russia has it. Watch the Nighthawk, it was very stealthy for its time, but it was full of compromises...So many compromises that were close to negating its stealthiness ! Iraqi...You remember them. They were clumsy - everybody says that. Both in the air and on the flak arena. First time the F-117 popped on something more serious than a 3rd-world country, it got shot down :-*

In any case, the experience from F-117, money and the good engineers USA has, has produced the B2, the Raptor, the Lightning II....Things that are really fighters in all their sense - they fight, they bomb, you can fly them upside down and you can then go home with them. China has nothing. Up until the early 2000s it was a country with a great civilization in the past, but which was still stuck in Mao's 1950s otherwise. It will be a decade before they can build anything that can counter the Raptor or any 4.5th-gen western or russian fighter. The most they can do is something a little better than the F-117 right now, I think. On the other hand, just look at the sheer size of that thing. This is closer to the 'Vark than it is to the Eagle ! Definitely not a fighter....And definitely not 5th-gen. Chinese industry is not mature or technologically advanced enough to produce really good AESA technology, or the extremely efficient RAM coatings of their western counterparts.

While I'm glad to see that they're able to build an airplane themselves, something which few countries in the world can do, this is not a stealth fighter and it's not a 5th-gen combat aircraft as well. :)

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 05:31:48 PM »
Since Icarus mentioned the size of the "Chinese mock up", it gives me the opportunity to mention that it is generally the size of the MiG 1.42 with wich it shares the basic layout, but it seems that it has been more well shaped than the Russian bird. I'd say that it looks beautiful, at least from this angle, more beautiful from Mig, and the Raptor, but beauty doesn't win battles, nor defeats fighter jets...............

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2007, 08:51:21 AM »
Hey, beauty can win battles, their called BEAUTY CONTESTS or PAGENTS.. depending on the word where you live..

yeah, this has nothing to do with anything does it?

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 11:42:30 AM »
Gripen. Don't make me shoot you.

Hm. I agree about China. Still, they're known to be very resourceful... It could be ahead of it's time, china-wise...
-JCLim

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2007, 01:24:40 AM »
Im confused

Is it J-XX as in J-20 (roman numerals)

or J-XX as in Ex Ex

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2007, 02:15:48 PM »
Have you heard of a J-X Grip? It was J-10, wasn't it?

There you have it. It's code-named J-XX. (I think) ((Couldn't get the paper on it)) (((My cousin isn't the best newscaster))) ((((I patched this together)))) (((((No guarantee this is accurate)))))

Because they have no idea whether it is this or that...
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA