MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: JA37 Vs JAS39  (Read 32396 times)

Offline Ramon

• Scorpion Aviation Photography
  • Global Moderator
  • Fighter Ace
Re: JA37 Vs JAS39
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 01:44:11 PM »
Hello Guys,

The Viggen and the Phantom are winning this contest by far, if you just go for the looks..... :P
To bad the Viggen is going to leave service....... :'(

Best Regards, Ramon.
  • Interests: A-10, F-14, F-105, B-58 and warbirds

Offline raptor_one

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 07:25:35 AM »
  My vote is for the Viggen too. I love that aircraft and I´m thinking in build one on a 1/72 scale. Long life for the Viggen.

Offline Zeke

• Pilot
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 08:40:37 AM »
The F-4 beautiful???...I think you lot need new glasses!!!... 8)
That is one of the most Butt-ugly planes they ever built...and I love it!... ;D
All the older jets have so much more character than their skinny bland replacements...Bring back the century series jets I say.
Do not despise the snake for having no horns. for who is to say it will not become a Dragon?
}:)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 07:30:33 AM »
The F4 is cool and thats final...  ;)

Well, im back again. Had a bad cold for a week. Been laying in bed (sofa) watching movies. Iron Eagle, Top Gun and so on... My joystick went beserk..No more FS 2004 until i can afford a new one. So  you can say i had a shitty end of the month.

I uploaded a few pics from an airshow at F17 Kallinge last year (viggen, gripen). You can see the diffrence in size between the two fighters compared to people standing next to them.  :D
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 04:51:43 PM »
INFORMATION ABOUT SAAB 37 VIGGEN

Role: Fighter, Bomber, Reconnaissance
Builder: Saab Aerospace
Variants: AJ 37, SK 37, SK 37E, SH 37, SF 37, JA 37, AJS 37
Operators: Sweden
The construction of JA37 started as late as 1968 and flew the first time in 1977. The first JA37 Viggen was delivered to the Swedish Air Force in 1979. This aircraft was made especially in mind for Swedish air force specifications about STOL. The Swedish airforce needed a high quality all weather fighter, able to take off and land on short strips. The system builds on using regular roads as landing/take off strips spread out around the country, making it harder for an enemy to defeat the fighters on the ground during reloading, service and refuelling. The first delivery to the Swedish airforce was the year 1979 and the last one 1990. JA37 is the fifth member of the Viggen family. Viggen is built out of aluminium, honeycomb-elements and titanium-reinforcements. JA37 Viggen is the only aircraft in the Viggen family equipped with a head-down-display from Smiths Industries. It makes it possible for the pilot to fly in any kind of weather. Totally 329 Viggen were built, 149 of then are JA37´s. Of those 149 aircraft, 115 will be modified to AJS 37 Viggen.
Many of the functions in Viggen are automated, to help the pilot and so he can work comfortably. Examples of this are the automatic cannon. Once the pilot has his target locked on radar, the aircraft will steer itself so that every round will hit its target. The cockpit in Viggen is a relaxed environment; automatic throttle helps the pilot to keep an optimum speed, altitude and angel at short and steep landings. You can land at speeds between 195-249km/h (121-154 mph) with an aoa (Angel of attack) 16, 5 degrees.
Once the landing gear hits the ground and presses together, the reversing function sets in. This is optional, the pilot may choose to use the reversing system manually is he so wishes. The Viggen has a unique reversing system built in, which helps it to keep the landings under 500 meters. It also results in that the pilot can go backwards with his aircraft without any external help. This is always appreciated amongst the audience during airshows and gets a lot of applauses. The Tornado and Viggen are the only tactical fighters in the world equipped with this system. The rear landing gear is very wide, which gives the aircraft more stability on the ground, either you taxi, take off or land.
Specifications:
Dimensions: Length 16,40m (53, 80 ft); Width 10,60m (34, 77 ft); Height 5,90m (19, 35 ft)
Speed: High Altitude Mach 2.0 +; Low Altitude 1410 km/h (876, 13 mph)
Weights Weight empty 12200kg (26896 Ib); Normal start weight 16 800kg (37037 Ib); Max start weight 22 500kg (49604 Ib);
Powerplant: Volvo Aero RM8B (JT8d-22) turbofan with afterburner; Thrust without afterburner 7350 kp (1066 PSI); Thrust with afterburner 12750 kp (1849, 23 PSI)
Radar: Ericsson PS-46/A, X-band, Puls-Doppler.
Armament: This is an example of an armament. 30mm automatic cannon from Oerlikon (150 rounds).1340 rounds/minute.1030 m/s (202755 ft/min). Two Sky flash missiles (RB71), it’s an improved version of AIM-7 sparrow. Four Sidewinder missiles (RB24), and an external fuel tank.

PAKISTAN AIR FORCE (www.paffalcons.com)

FOR THOSE WHO DARE THE FUTURE IN THE SKIES

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 07:57:54 AM »
Thanks for the information Air Marshall, but if you would be really intrested in this site, you would of noticed that MILAVIA already has that info under the  aircraft section.....

And guess what? Our dear Webmaster also have several other aircraft with lots of information we can read about. Check it out!  ;)
Patrik S.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 02:33:43 PM »
We all have different taste and thats a good thing. So i welcome all Gripen lovers to share there view here.

Thanks for your oppinion RecceJet.  :)
Patrik S.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 04:16:45 PM »
Air Marshall, I already gave you a message on posting replies like this a while ago. Please there is no need to copy the data from one page of my website onto the forum. I think I made it fairly easy to find. Then the photo, which is also copied from my Viggen section. You can use it for limited personal use only. But with a source I don't mind that you post it here. However it seems you have even cropped and removed the copyright line? http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/viggen/gallery/viggen_15.htm You know, that would be against copyright law.

But the main thing is, that these posts are not neccessary.

They disrupt the discussion. If you post data, just use a link to the page instead or post it as a quote, and mention the source. So we at least know somebody else wrote it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 04:20:28 PM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2005, 04:26:39 PM »
About Air Marshall´s posting. It was pretty funny to read my own written words...  :)

But there is a some rules to follow and respect other members, so we all get along here on this great place.
Patrik S.

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 11:48:36 PM »
Vote now my friends. I personally vote for JA37.  ;D
Dear Viggen
                        Wiith respect the correct word is SAB 37 VIGGEN not   " JA37 " .... :D

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 11:54:11 PM »
Air Marshall, I already gave you a message on posting replies like this a while ago. Please there is no need to copy the data from one page of my website onto the forum. I think I made it fairly easy to find. Then the photo, which is also copied from my Viggen section. You can use it for limited personal use only. But with a source I don't mind that you post it here. However it seems you have even cropped and removed the copyright line? http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/viggen/gallery/viggen_15.htm You know, that would be against copyright law.

But the main thing is, that these posts are not neccessary.

They disrupt the discussion. If you post data, just use a link to the page instead or post it as a quote, and mention the source. So we at least know somebody else wrote it.

Ok Sir...... ;)

Offline Air Marshal

• Fighter Ace
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2005, 12:41:25 AM »
Thanks for the information Air Marshall, but if you would be really intrested in this site, you would of noticed that MILAVIA already has that info under the  aircraft section.....

And guess what? Our dear Webmaster also have several other aircraft with lots of information we can read about. Check it out!  ;)
I understand.......Ok but this is the requirement to Qoute the information about specific topic....   :)

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA