MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: JA37 Vs JAS39  (Read 32409 times)

Offline Battlemike

• Pilot
Re: JA37 Vs JAS39
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2005, 12:16:55 PM »
Go Gripen! The "39" is ,what the F-16 was supposed to grow up into( although adv. avionics make the f-16 a slightly better ground attacker) The JAS 39 is what a light attck and interceptor acft should be, speed ,agility,low radar signature.The Indian Air force claims that its LCA will exceed the abilities of the Gripen, but I sincerely doubt it.If I were in the market as a small country with a decent military budget, I'd by the JAS 39 , a few MIG 29 updates, and a few F/A-18s for ground pounding and naval ops.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2005, 09:45:53 AM »
To bad you cant share that email, would love to take a look at it. As it is now, it just builds up the feeling that something is going on with the engine.

I do belive the Greek goverment will make the right choice when buying a new fighter, Gripen or not. But if i remember correctly Greece is a member of NATO. Just that little detail ends with that a country will have to buy US-built fighters.  8)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Battlemike

• Pilot
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2005, 12:20:59 PM »
Sounds like the Greeks will end up with the F-16 or the F/A-18 ( I think those are the cheapest  to get their hands on) but the Grippen CAN DOG FIGHT within the level of the F-16, although the F/A-18 has better ground attack  and BVR qualities.Canada,New Zealand and Australia use the F/A-18 as an "air superiority" fighter (scary ,huh?), and until the JSF comes on line,you'll see more of those acfts in the world sales competition.While the Russians sale new to old stuff, Euro nations give ther ols stuff away and sell newer systems, the U.S. has a habit of trying to market it old stuff  ( stripped down) as if its a "garage sale"..... :(

Greekpilot

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2005, 03:42:41 PM »
F/A-18 is not suitable for dogfights in the Aegean Sea. HAF officials explained to me that the y evaluated in the 1980's and it was then heavy. The Super Hornet is also heavy, though more powerful. We will end up with Typhoon. I hope we will get the EJ200 powered Super Gripen in the near future, but it will depend on HAF evaluation, politics, and budgetary limitations. I am sure that, if selected, Gripen International will provide high offset programmes (SAAB already cooperates with Greek HAI on Neuron programme).

BTW, this link

http://www.gripen.com/download/18.1552b76fb842c03177fff698/AirInternational-March2003.pdf

shows that Gripen's wheels, tyres and braking system are British. Unless they belong to Dunlop, subsidiary of Goodyear. Any ideas ???

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2006, 02:47:02 AM »
Sounds like the Greeks will end up with the F-16 or the F/A-18 ( I think those are the cheapest  to get their hands on) but the Grippen CAN DOG FIGHT within the level of the F-16, although the F/A-18 has better ground attack  and BVR qualities.Canada,New Zealand and Australia use the F/A-18 as an "air superiority" fighter (scary ,huh?), and until the JSF comes on line,you'll see more of those acfts in the world sales competition.While the Russians sale new to old stuff, Euro nations give ther ols stuff away and sell newer systems, the U.S. has a habit of trying to market it old stuff  ( stripped down) as if its a "garage sale"..... :(

the RAAF uses the Hornet for everything...its pathetic...i still think the Gripen is better then the Viggen...VIggen is being mostly retired is it not, while the Gripen is just coming into service...the Viggen is a good plane, but with everything, it gets old and the SAAB peoples should proud...

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA