MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Marine One doesnt need a kitchen  (Read 8389 times)

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
Marine One doesnt need a kitchen
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:34:53 AM »
US PRESIDENT Barack Obama says he really doesn't need a new presidential helicopter with an Armageddon-proof kitchen.

"It would let me cook a meal while under nuclear attack," he mused.

"Now, let me tell you something - if the United States of America is under nuclear attack, the last thing on my mind will be whipping up a snack."

Mr Obama's comments came as he pledged to put up "a fight" against "exotic projects that are years behind schedule and billions over budget" in a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars service organisation.

"This is pretty straightforward - cut the waste. Save taxpayer dollars. Support the troops," he told the group at its annual convention.

"If a project doesn't support our troops, if it does not make America safer, we will not fund it.

"If a system doesn't perform, we will terminate it.

"And if Congress sends me a defence bill loaded with a bunch of pork, I will veto it."

Mr Obama has taken aim at plans for a new fleet of Marine One helicopters before, notably at a White House Fiscal Responsibility summit in February, when he said he had ordered a review into the project's huge cost overruns.

The US Navy charged Lockheed Martin to build a new fleet of 28 helicopters to serve as Marine One in 2005.

The project originally was meant to cost around $US6 billion ($7.24 billion) but has skyrocketed up to $US11.2 billion ($13.5 billion).

Each aircraft would now cost about $US400 million ($482 million) - more than the cost of the two adapted Boeing 747 aircraft now serving as Air Force One.

The new helicopters were to be based on Lockheed's EH-101 aircraft, currently produced by a British-Italian partner.

The new generation of iconic green-and-white helicopters are said to offer the President greater protection and a higher range than current Sikorsky models - some of which are up to 40 years old.

The decision in 2005 to award the contract culminated an intense competition between Lockheed Martin and Sikorsky Aircraft Corp's all-American entry, the S-92.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25945452-401,00.html

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
Re: Marine One doesnt need a kitchen
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:54:51 AM »
Well let him take sandwiches in a lunch pail.
What I am more concerned with is this civilian returning the Marine's salute whilst in civilian clothes.
I mean saluting without a hat on like they do in America is bad enough, but in a civilian is beyond belief.
This all started with Bill Clinton. Many an old soldier considered returning his medals when he saw that.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 06:07:58 PM »
Ok, I kinda agree with everything he said there in principle, but I am concerned upgrading the old Seakings will be a costly mistake... what's been put into the Merlins are sunk costs, but I'm afraid in the long run, the Seaking upgrade will be more costly than now going on with this program. What about a 'lite' version and some new seniors running the program.

This all started with Bill Clinton.

No, Reagan...
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:16:28 AM »
We can't make a helicopter here for 400 million dollars? Does anyone else think that something here may be out of control? I walk around in 10 dollar shoes that were shipped halfway around the world from china!!
400 million dollars should buy the whole damn fleet!! What the hell is wrong here?

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »
I think that this is  "Democrat HOT COCK" written in the dirty Dem press to make Obama look good.
It isn't succeeding any more, check out the election results in New York and New Jersey this week. Americans are waking up.

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 01:12:26 PM »
We can't make a helicopter here for 400 million dollars? Does anyone else think that something here may be out of control? I walk around in 10 dollar shoes that were shipped halfway around the world from china!!
400 million dollars should buy the whole damn fleet!! What the hell is wrong here?

Now go to the store, say you want the same shoe, but the Chinese manufacturers needs to fit yours with waterproof skin, the possibility to attach spikes, triple redundancy laces, GPS system to know where you left them the night before, additional cooling for your feet, and an emergency system that unties them in case you get stuck in concrete. Ow yeah, and it needs to warn you about nearby enemy shoes and release some decoy socks to distract them.

Seriously though, LM basically thought it had a contract to deliver off-the-shelf helicopters and develop an upgrade for them, but Navair wanted them delivered in modified form. Read more here: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/05/22/213992/presidential-helicopter-costs-soar.html

Basically, as with almost any construction, development or production project, if the customer starts modifying the requirements during the project, delays are natural and a serious opportunity for mismanagement by the contractor emerges, which all translates in budget overruns.

• Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:04:23 PM »
I definitely want shoes like that!! Damn the cost--full speed ahead! Couldn't stop laughing!
But still, 400 million a copy?? In a chopper like that, he should be able to whip up not just a snack, but a 7 course meal!   I could recommend wines.

Avi-You think Americans are waking up?  HA HA-- not here on the left coast!
Oh--Just right this moment I'm hearing about Ft Hood. Sound like Islamic terrorists to me.
Bye.

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 11:04:04 PM »
Wrong again-- I just heard news that the shooters were AMERICAN SOLDIERS!!!
What a bummer!! I guess insanity can strike anyone, anywhere, any time.
Going offline now

Offline shawn a

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:03:48 AM »
Hey Grip,
I'm glad tour iPad is protected.
I'm not concerned, I told this moron to get off the forum in a PM.
Not in polite language, either!

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA