MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: General question  (Read 8326 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
General question
« on: August 18, 2007, 04:19:54 AM »
Sorry for the basic question but I found this site and wanted to know if anybody knew the top speed of this engine

The light attack aircraft, being developed by the Yakovlev Design Office, will Be powered by the AL-55 engines, President of the Irkut Corporation/General Director of the Yakovlev Design Bureau Oleg Demchenko told Interfax-Military News Agency.

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.red-stars.org/forum/viewthread.php%3Ftid%3D87&prev=/search%3Fq%3D70%2B%2509MiG-29SMT%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DmJY%26sa%3DG

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
Re: General question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »
What do u mean "top speed"? the maximum r.p.m. at which it rotates, or the maximum speed this engine can work, or the maximum speed it will enable the YAK130 to fly?

At any case, i don't think that the YAK trainer/attacker will be supersonic. And for sure, the AL55 wont be more advanced than the Honeywell F124 on the M346.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 05:43:13 PM »
I wanted to know if if would bring this little cool trainer to supersonic speeds.

Offline valkyrian

• Fighter Ace
  • Goodbye my friend Tigershark, R.I.P.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 06:35:26 PM »
I doubt about this, being supersonic is a matter of power, air inlet system and ofcourse fuel.

" The aircraft has a high thrust-to-weight ratio of about 0.85. The demonstrator is powered by two Slovakian Povazske Strojarne DV-2SM turbofan engines, each rated at 2,200kg thrust.
Production aircraft are fitted with two powerful high-economy AI-222-25 turbofan engines, each rated at 2,500kg thrust and developed under a Russian and Ukrainian program by Motor Sich, Zaporozh'e Progress Design Bureau and the Moscow Salyut Motor Building Production Enterprise. The export variant of the Yak-130 can be fitted with the DV-2SM engine.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/yak_130/

So it already has 2250 kgf of thrust and it is subsonic. I can see any difference if it gains 250*2=500 kgf more...

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 04:33:46 PM »
It's just an Russian alternative to the Ukrainian engine, no change in performance. Which means less risk, as Ukrainian/Russian relations are not the best anymore and other projects failed... and that they can offer the 2500kg thrust engines to any export customer without the Ukraine interfering.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline osuorsa

• Pilot
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 04:30:22 PM »
I cannot believe the Yak-130 could go supersonic....Its designed to be a training a/c which could also be heavily armed, there's no reason for such a/c to fly supersonic....

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:35:26 PM »
Nope, and I agree it's not neccessary. But with a top speed of 1060 km/h at level, I am sure it will break the sound barrier in a dive, and I assume it can safely do that without breaking up or loss of control.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline osuorsa

• Pilot
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 02:47:26 PM »
An ability to go supersonic in dive is not a proof of supersonic capability. Almost all advanced trainers like BAe Hawk etc can go supersonic in dive. That doesen't mean anything. If the plane is described to fly supersonic, it usually means to achieve that speed in level flight....Also, that kind of planes are not designed to fly supersonic (again, becouse there is no use for such), so their airframe may not like it when you are pulling of the dive and going over G...

BTW, the top speed of 1060 km/h ain't the speed of sound....it is roughly 1200 km/h or 340 m/s at normal (calculated) situation....I

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA