MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: The Big Engine That Couldn't  (Read 9085 times)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: The Big Engine That Couldn't
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 02:48:19 AM »
The actual problem is the France doesn't have a very good foothold on the fighter market. Their doing much better selling ships and private jets. Seriously, forget about the Rafale and Mirages.  ::)

No, the actual problem is Dassault being unable to cope with the competition from the US, which is now also reaching markets previously only able to buy Soviet/Russian and French weapons. France lost its foothold on many markets and continues to loose it, but that's not the root of the problem, that's what happens when you can't compete. Saab didn't have a foothold, but it still managed to sell its Gripen to four countries and the party isn't over yet either.

The only possible options remaining for the Rafale are imho Brazil, Libya and maybe also Algeria now. But it needs to secure the three of them to be able to call it a success. MKopack, don't worry, we'll be seeing Mirages and Rafales for many years to come, although the latter probably only in French coats. The MIIIs, F1s and also the Super Etendard will all be gone pretty soon, it's sad, but not as sad as the (RAF) Jaguar retirement imho.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
Re: The Big Engine That Couldn't
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 05:24:44 AM »
The MIIIs, F1s and also the Super Etendard will all be gone pretty soon, it's sad, but not as sad as the (RAF) Jaguar retirement imho.

I am not very sure if I agree or not ::) ;D

About the rafale, well, IMHO there are too  many options today. Let's see: e.g. Greece is being offered F-35, Eurofighter, F-16, F-18, Gripen and Rafale. If you add MiG-29s and Su-27, appart from JF-17 and J-10, for other markets, you have a very wide range of options. Right that's a lot of different aircraft, with different capabilities, but still "fighting" each other. It's difficult to get a slice. You have to be the best, or at least offer the best, or know to whom you offer it. As webmaster said, hey should focus on some sector which is not being paid attention. I think they should also try to hold those one who have already bought french, like various latin american countries, maybe India (to replace the M2000?). They've already "lost" South Africa for the Gripen...

Well, that my opinion though. to sum up: too many options (more than ever before???) to make it easy to win.
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA