MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Plane of the Year 2007  (Read 12094 times)

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
Plane of the Year 2007
« on: December 22, 2007, 01:08:02 PM »
Ok, this is the 3rd year already. I can't belive I've been here for so long  :)

Anyway first a quick look into the past: In 2005 F-14 with her retirement mainly won the titel and was closely followed by Jas-39 who was 1 vote behind. In 2006 Gripen took an overwhelming victory.

So does Gripen has what it takes to keep the titel? Has anyone else worked hard enough to get it? Who will it be? It's up to you!

Vote changes are enabled. If you don't find the plane you want to vote for in the list, then just post it here.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
Re: Plane of the Year 2007
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 01:14:45 PM »
Well i suppose the F-22 is slightly more proven now, despite it's many shortcomings. I see quite a future for it. Happy Plane-iversary everyone.
-JCLim

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:33:35 PM »
Let me guess.
Gripen voted for Gripen
Raptor voted for Raptor
I voted for Su-30
Webby voted for Typhoon
As soon as Viggen gets here Gripen takes the lead ;D

My vote was influenced by all the sells Suhkoi made. The plane itself is impressive enough also.

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 09:34:33 PM »
I voted for the Typhoon I like the way it broke into a few markets.

Offline Gripen

• General of Flight
  • WHATEVER YOUR PAST, THE FUTURE IS GRIPEN!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 02:11:57 AM »
Let me guess.
Gripen voted for Gripen
Raptor voted for Raptor
I voted for Su-30
Webby voted for Typhoon
As soon as Viggen gets here Gripen takes the lead ;D

My vote was influenced by all the sells Suhkoi made. The plane itself is impressive enough also.

ALYSTER:: STOP STALKING MY THOUGHTS..

(You guessed correctly)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 03:35:16 AM »
Again, a difficult choice.

• Gripen completed more deliveries according to schedule, secured its future with the Swedish Air Force with the upgrade contract, secured future market by the launch and approval of Gripen NG with F414G, was selected by the Thai Air Force.
  • F-16, deliveries of Block 60s for the UAE, first deliveries to Poland, new (follow-up) orders, and as ever proves its worth on almost a daily basis.
  • Su-30, IAF deployment to the UK, Su-30MKM first deliveries, further deliveries to Venezuela, Su-30MKA progress. However apart from the Indonesian order, its order book didn't fill up as nicely as expected.
  • Typhoon, Austrian first delivery, initial air-to-ground capability, RAF QRA, block 5 upgrade, PIRATE sensor, Tranche 3 prospect looking better, then of the course the Saudi order. It's just too bad it hasn't made it to Afghanistan yet, as (both) the Rafale(s) did.
  • F-15, F-15SG follow-up order, F-15C radar upgrade, F-15S upgrade, F-15K deliveries.
  • Raptor, ramped up production, third active-duty squadron operational, third wing formed, last production batch order signed, first exercises, first deployment.
  • MiG-29, seeing the result of some of the upgrade deals, some new upgrade/overhaul deals, new MiG-29K, and a MiG-35 prototype. But the latter is just the M2 to be fitted with new avionics.

The others on the list are not too big a deal this year. I think J-11 should be J-10? And FC-1/JF-17 Thunder should have had a place on it, with first deliveries to the PAF.

Actually, I think 2007 is the year of the Russian Tu-95 'Bear', for the media at least, but since it's only fighters...

I will vote for the F-22, it really gained strength this year, and if it won't win this year, I think it will do so next year.

So, not Typhoon as alyster predicted, I hadn't voted yet, because the Saudi order is actually the only new order, and because of the UK/Saudi relation was not a surprise. Although a big deal, and the first major export success, it may actually become last export order as competition starts to secure markets it would have been perfect for. After 15 years of existence, the Eurofighter program finally starts to 'look good'. I'm a huge fan of the plane itself, but its record so far fails to impress me. If Greece or Norway would have put in a firm order this year, I would have voted for it. Next year it's going to Afghanistan... looking forward to the results.

Not Gripen, because it's now in a period where it has to deliver just more of the same, while the next design is still being finalized.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 03:42:31 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:25:57 AM »
So... The Typhoon and Raptor are neck-and-neck. Alyster, i think you might just guess us wrong... I voted the Gripen last year. Viggen might root for the Raptor. We're finally seeing some results from it and that's some cause to give it the title. I have the strongest impression some Russian fighter will win either this year or next...
-JCLim

Offline alyster

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 01:33:27 PM »
Su-30, IAF deployment to the UK, Su-30MKM first deliveries, further deliveries to Venezuela, Su-30MKA progress. However apart from the Indonesian order, its order book didn't fill up as nicely as expected.

Hmm.... was the IRIAF sell just a rumor then?

Gripen it's not really hard to guess who you voted for. 50% chance u voted for Gripen in any situation, but here I already knew it was either Typhoon or Gripen for u :)

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »
Yeah, rumour/allegation/propaganda. Russia and Iran officials both denied any such deal. Compare this to the TOR-M1 deal, where Russian officials have been fighting to justify the sale because it's a self-defence weapon, not offensive. But well you never know what's going on behind closed doors.

The Iran / J-10 story has also been denied by Chinese officials.

Both stories seems to originate from sensation-seeking Russian/Arab newspapers, who get things wrong all the time. It seems they translate possibilities into 'had talks', talks into agreements, agreements into contracts, options into firm orders, and maybe even take an order and make it appear as if they are already delivered.
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 04:57:32 PM »
A little surprise for you guys. I voted pretty early on the Typhoon. It has baged some  good sales this year and the PR around the aircraft has not been so stormy, like GripenĀ“s.  ;D

• Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 02:51:17 PM »
So that was who voted without saying. ;D i have webby's backup. ;D
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »
Yup, wanted to wait a little before i anounced that my vote went too Typhoon.  ;D
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA