MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Plane of the Year 2008  (Read 15955 times)

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
  • What's the next big thing?
Re: Plane of the Year 2008
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 10:04:41 AM »
You have to admit the cost at least WORKS, Viggen...  :laugh:
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 10:37:31 AM »
So far it did, but now with the global financial crisis. Bet its going to hurt the F-22 this year, but then all others will be suffering as well.  ::)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
Unlike some of the the other planes in this comparison, the F-22 was not intented for export so I can't see how the costs involved can be compared. The F-35 was fully developed with export variants in mind so it's cost structuring is different and would make a better comparision dollar for dollar. We'll just have to wait a few years and do another poll ;D.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 07:04:42 AM »
Ah Viggen... Think about the new democratic government. They might just do something stupid like scrap the F-35 program. After all, that's what many people were complaining about-the cost. (I think lots of people have underestimated how difficult a leadership job is but heck this isn't a political discussion)

Let's say, hypothetically, that the Gripen wasn't exported at all either. What then?  :)
-JCLim

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
If Gripen would not be exported, then with 100% certanty. It would not be any Gripen C or a NG. They would of stayed with the first and basic version, and alot less of them.

The majority of the Swedish population would nothing better then see Gripen on the scrapyard and a total removal of all military equipment. This is how naive most peace loving swedes are.  :(

My point to all earlier, is that the more expensive the costs have been for any of these new aircraft, the more they will suffer now from the crisis. Trust me, i dont want to  see either Gripen or the F-22 end up on the scrapyard.
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline Raptor

• General of Flight
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 10:50:43 AM »
Ah right then. Let's say, hypothetically, that the Raptor were exported. That bring it to first.  ;D
-JCLim

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA