MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Re-engine F-18Cs & Ds Hornets and Jas-39 Gripens  (Read 19872 times)

Offline Globetrotter

• Hero of Flight
  • I'm Thomas (now Globetrotter)
Re: Re-engine F-18Cs & Ds Hornets and Jas-39 Gripens
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 09:38:07 PM »
lol thrust-vectoring-engined Gripen!!!!! That would be cool! >:D

But it's a pity they hadn't thought about the "weak" engine before. (Now the engines are new for a change, I mean, they haven't been used enough to say they are old) and it would be a pity to throw away an engine that is new :-\
"Ad Astra Per Aspera"   (5º Grupo de Caza ≈ A-4AR Fightinghawk)

~ MALVINAS ARGENTINAS ~

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 06:50:19 AM »
I do not know. I am not sure if there is anything published yet about the Gripen in dissimilar counter-air missions. Would be very interesting, but then again even about the Typhoon there is little known yet about its true capabilities, not to mention the F/A-22, the best we get is that both perform beyond expectations and they beat the F-15...well they should do that, don't they.

But last year we interviewed a former Viggen pilot, who now flies the Gripen. I don't know for sure yet, but in cooperation with Patrik (Viggen as you know him) we might be able to ask him some questions about the Gripen in the near future, of course weapon system and performance details can not be revealed. But we might get some answer on what the pilots think about the aircraft's power and manoeuvrability.

It's important to remember the origin of the letter, which is the engine manufacturer, not SAAB, not FMV (Swedish defence material administration). not the air forces operating the type. But the EJ200 on the Gripen is not impossible, we can tell from this, however they need a customer. Valiant1? Gripen? Viggen? Any requirement, guys? What if all three of you start a display team, then we could have at least three EJ200 equipped Gripens in the world.  ;D
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Valiant1

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 04:06:44 PM »
I'm up for it.

The answers were given already - minor modifications to install the EJ200 - already has more power than GE's F404 PLUS the addes advantage of thrust vectoring, which would put the Gripen, as I have said, on a whole new playing level. 

Combine that with excellent fighter pilot skills, you would have a fighter that would be near impossible to tangle with.

Yes, it would cost $$$ to modify, but think of the return you get on your investment.  Maybe then, we can interest the USAF to acquire some?     

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 06:19:32 PM »
What if all three of you start a display team, then we could have at least three EJ200 equipped Gripens in the world.

Would you really trust a multimillion dollar project into the hands of a nearly "blind" man?  ;)
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA