MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Remains of crashed Gripen  (Read 7531 times)

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
  • We are not promised a tomorrow.
Remains of crashed Gripen
« on: August 15, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
During the Stockholm water festival in 1993, a 39 Gripen preformed an airshow over the city.
Unfortunatly it crashed and by some miracle not killing anyone. You´ve all seen the video on youtube.

Today i got the chance to look at its remains, or whatever is left from it. For security purpouse i will only share low res images and add blur to some, to protect the company who is in charge of destroying the remains.

It was hard to photo since everything is laying in a big pile mixed with the remains of a Superpuma. Yesterday would of been a better day when they were separated. But due to very bad weather it was postponed for today. Best part, i ended up with some souvenirs.  :)

Anyway, here are the photos. A warning, its a sad sight.  :'(

Will finish off with this image. This weighed over 10 kilos, this is all aluminum. My best guess is that the fire generated some serious heat.  ;D

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:55:38 PM by Viggen »
  • Interests: SAAB 37 Viggen
Patrik S.

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
Re: Remains of crashed Gripen
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 06:00:12 PM »
Thanks for the cool pics Viggen! What kind of souvenirs did you get? Was that the crash that happened on landing where it left the runway and rolled into the infield? I can't believe he survived that crash.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »
Thanks for the cool pics Viggen! What kind of souvenirs did you get? Was that the crash that happened on landing where it left the runway and rolled into the infield? I can't believe he survived that crash.

No, you are reffering to the first crash that occured after the fourth testflight.  :)

Here is the one from 1993.

The crash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iToQ2FykoI

I took one small part, one that i dont know yet were it is placed on the aircraft. Guessing, somewhere under one of the main wings.

Then a bigger piece from its front. This one i have identifyed were it belongs.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:06:06 PM by Viggen »
Patrik S.

Offline F-111 C/C

• Hero of Flight
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 07:10:49 PM »
Ah, that one.  Thanks for the link. It looks like it had an uncommanded pitch-up, in fact you can see the canards are at max deflection. Lucky nobody got hurt. The second part photo you have contains the fuselage strip light. Too bad it wasn't intact, they make a cool, lime green light.
Wars are won by carrying the 'heavy iron' downtown!

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
Ah, that one.  Thanks for the link. It looks like it had an uncommanded pitch-up, in fact you can see the canards are at max deflection. Lucky nobody got hurt. The second part photo you have contains the fuselage strip light. Too bad it wasn't intact, they make a cool, lime green light.

There were other pieces i would like to have had, many bigger. But without any gloves and something to protect your face i did not want to dig to deep into the pile. Many sharp edges and that carbonfibre is probably not to healthy to breath in, and some ended up inside my finger, which i had to dig out with a needle once i got home.

I was like a kid, had to touch everything. LOL!  ;D
Patrik S.

Offline AVIATOR

• Hero of Flight
  • TALLY HO CHAPS
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 01:27:38 AM »
Great post Viggen. A lot of work. Thanks.

Offline Viggen

• General of Flight
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
Great post Viggen. A lot of work. Thanks.

Thanks, but it was not that much work. Just some photos. Could of been alot better photos if they have kept the two diffrent remains separeted as they did at first.
Patrik S.

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA