MILAVIA Forum - Military Aviation Discussion Forum

Author Topic: Report: Pakistan Eyeing French Weaponry  (Read 5480 times)

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Report: Pakistan Eyeing French Weaponry
« on: September 15, 2007, 02:16:48 AM »
I look at this two ways from Pakistan point of view: China radar and missiles offered for the JF-17 weren't that good which in a way makes China aerospace industries look bad.  Makes me think the J-10 might not be as good as I thought it was.  Would have made more sense going with pure Chinese since the flow of spares from the US are tricky at times.   I read that Pakistan needed this fighter to come in at around $20/25 mil per because of the numbers needed, using high price French parts might bring it up to near $30.   The other reason might be the French found a way to get around the European Union ban on arms sales to China in place since the Chinese army crushed democracy protests in 1989, going through Pakistan to China.   Maybe down the road French un-sold Rafales tech built into Block-II J-10 fighters?   Stranger things have happened.  Just though of a third item maybe China didn't offer Pakistan an advance radar because they were afraid the US might get a peak under the hood.   Maybe too early in the production of the J-10 to let that get out yet kind of makes sense.   Sort of the way the Indian Su-30 MKI Flankers didn't use their radar's when their went up against the Typhoon's a ways back.   

Story I found
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h4m6SyG7MpgjfLAMczYccdiYprHg

Offline Webmaster

• MILAVIA Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • General of Flight
Re: Report: Pakistan Eyeing French Weaponry
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:48:27 AM »
I guess India wouldn't be too happy about it either, this might affect their MMRCA choice, although Pakistan has been eyeing Western avionics and weapons for long. And the US is supplying them with F-16s which might go to China (and probably already have as well) and the US dearest ally Israel supplied them with Lavi info? Taiwan has F-16s, as do most NATO member countries, so the US should not back-pressure France.

I say lift the ban, supply China and Pakistan, and just let the US supply weapons to Taiwan. Ow and supply the US with the tech info.

Come on, let us see some more superpowers! Let's get ready for it, and make some money. Otherwise they'll look to Russia or develop their own anyway, what kinda intel do you have then?

The first batch will get Chinese radars, whether Pakistan opts for Western or Chinese avionics for the second batch or not.

PS: I'm not so sure the Typhoons used their radar either, guess only AWACS guided intercepts, the Su-30MKIs trained primarily with Tornado F.3s instead. No swapping cockpit places, no use of own weapons (use of "generic weapons"), no joint refuelling, and no Typhoon vs Su-30MKI combat.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 01:01:21 AM by Webmaster »
  • Interests: Su-15, Su-27, Tu-22, Tornado, RNLAF
Niels Hillebrand
MILAVIA Webmaster

Offline tigershark

• News Editor
  • General of Flight
Re: Report: Pakistan Eyeing French Weaponry
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 05:37:29 PM »
webmaster
I guess India wouldn't be too happy about it either, this might affect their MMRCA choice,
Not only MMRCA choice/bid but also the (50) Mirage 2000's there having upgraded by France.   I never thought the Rafale had a chance because it's not a finished product and India waited six years too late for the Mirage 2000-5.

Pakistan has been eyeing Western avionics and weapons for long.
The Chinese stuff still isn't on the same level and this shows with Pakistan's big push for very expensive C/D Vipers even after getting burned by the US.  They deserved it but that's another issue.

the US is supplying them with F-16s which might go to China (and probably already have as well)
I agree 100 percent I feel that Pakistan might have help China jump into the next level of aircraft design almost as much as the Russians in certain ways based on the J-10.

and the US dearest ally Israel supplied them with Lavi info?
I'm pro Israel in most cases but this did piss me off a little but the US was messing with them on a few projects too.   Imagine my country telling another what to do, big smile face.    The Lavi could have put them on the map as far as aircraft producer and nailing down a large customer like China, well  I don't need to say more.   Did China gain from the tech transfer Yes, did Israel sell them the milk and the cow, NO, and that's the difference.  And shows now in the level of China's aircraft are in now so many later and the basic J-10 is coming out.    China doesn't even produce a radar and missile for a client that's might buy 150 JF-17s they built in their own factories.   But they didn't get the cow with the milk. 

I say lift the ban, supply China and Pakistan, and just let the US supply weapons to Taiwan. Ow and supply the US with the tech info.
I'm mixed with this because if France sell this level of tech to China it raises the playing field so much that only three squadrons of F-22 sold to Taiwan could off set it.   I'm greedy and don't want to share my F-22s with them nor Japan for that matter.    Just my two cent and maybe just my crazy way of thinking but to me Taiwan isn't China's long range goal, to me it's Japan.   What better way to hurt the US then to take down Japan, I know those are big words and may sound a little off the wall but it makes sense military wise then Taiwan.   Economy wise once Japan's out of the picture China will have the US right by the b-ll's.    This tech transfer and other that will follow for sure because France won't be able to controlled itself would only help speed this idea of mind.   I'm looking at 15 to 20 years from now for my off the wall idea to take place 

The first batch will get Chinese radars, whether Pakistan opts for Western or Chinese avionics for the second batch or not.

I agree but the second batch of JF-17s will be less a cut order.  Pakistan will go for the Block-II J-10 C/D by then the JF-17 is a good idea and option now but not five to eight years from now when all of India's Flankers will be MKI or better.   The Mig-35 or some sort of mixture of a Mig-29M and Mig-35 will be bought in numbers the JF-17 won't be good enough really.    Pakistan will see this down the road but have gained time because the Indian are taking eight years to long to make a choice.   Big laughing face.

The Typhoon vs. MKI Flanker issue is a big let down for me and I'm sure many others it never turn out to be who's toughest guy on the block thing I was hoping for.   

Sorry for the long post

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com click to vote for MILAVIA